ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 9th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Kevlar jeans riding up legs and over top of boots

Hey I've got some kevlar RHOK jeans (very nice btw) but I don't wear them often because they are slightly stretchy and the tend to work their ways up my legs until the boots are uncovered. In a crash they wouldn't do much because the ankles of the pants usually end up bunched up around my knees and the kevlar material ends up on my thighs instead of knees.

Boots are

Jeans are

I need to get clever and come up with a way to keep the jeans from bunching up and getting out of place.

Several ideas...

Install rivet-type buttons on ankles of boots (inside and outside of each ankle on each leg) -- so jeans could 'snap' onto boots and keep the cuffs down near my ankles.

Install tiny hooks on inside and outside ankles of boots, and eyelets on ankle cuffs of pants so pants could hook onto boots and prevent them from riding up over the boots as I shift around on the bike.

Rig up some under-boot straps that connect pants to boots like so..

Problem with these is that the clips could come loose in a crash and the jeans would slide up my legs.

Maybe best to sew some buckles onto the bottom cuffs of the pants and use a tough nylon strap under the boots to hold them down. I'd have to slide pretty far to wear through a 1" nylon webbing strap and have the jeans ride up my legs.. Then again, nylon straps between the sole of the boots and the footpegs would eventually wear through because I'd be standing on them for the majority of my riding and my pegs are aftermarket aluminum parts that I've sharpened for better peg traction.

Any ideas?

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I like that under-the-boot idea. You could stitch it in yourself with a stretchy elastic-type band if you're feeling confident in your sewing skills. But the buckle idea isnt bad, either. You could always cover the bottom of it in gorilla tape if you're afraid of it wearing through. Or just get a big spool of the strap material and replace as needed.

Another word of advice; brace for impact before everyone comes in here and yells at you for not wearing "proper" riding pants, even though kevlar is definitely adequate.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Okay, I'll play.

I wear real riding pants not because Kevlar is inadequate for abrasion, but for the exact reason why this thread exists... jeans won't stay in place, which makes the kevlar moot. Aside from exposing skin, the armor can move. Also, the jeans are not 100% kevlar and I am not confident that denim won't tear if it grabs on something.

My jeans/street pants go in the backpack if I really do need to change (i.e. at work). Otherwise I just wear my riding gear. Which TC seems to do too... are those race boots really worn all day long?

To answer TC's questions, though...

So the pants are working themselves up your calves. Perhaps its because of how they rub on the boots? How about tucking the jeans inside the boots? See what happens... if they pop out of the top you're back where you started, but if not, you're done.

Assuming that's not an option, I also favor the strap under the boot.

If you think the under-boot clips will come loose, what makes you think that snaps/hooks won't? The street is going to grab, pull, and generally try to rip your clothes off. If you can imagine pulling a fastener loose by yanking on it, then you can bet it'll happen in a crash.

If you install hooks on your boots, you're putting something sharp and grabby on them. Do you really think that's a good idea?

No removable fastener is going to absolutely stay put in a crash. The only way you're going to get those jeans to stop riding up is to sew something on there that's at least as strong as the material is.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #4
MyTriggaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250

Just tuck them in your boots, or find better fitting pants that aren't so loose.

I wear regular jeans all the time, sometimes with knee/shin protectors under the jeans. Never have had an issue with them riding up. They are not skinny jeans, but they are not loose, just regular straight leg jeans.

I don't recommend attaching any unnecessary clips or fasteners. You never know what will be the cause of your injury, and adding metal clips is just adding for you leg to get hooked on your bike when you want to bail and now you're attached to the bike whilst it's failing over a cliff and dragging you with. Worst case scenario of course.

Just tuck the jeans
MyTriggaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:05 AM   #5
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
I'd also go with the sewed on elastic/stretchy strap. I would think you'd go around your foot and inside the boot with that strap, rather than over the boot. The now completely internal strap is out of view and away from abrasive surfaces. If an external strap won't survive while you're on the pegs, how do you think it will fare sliding down the asphalt?

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Velcro band around your ankle? Or I like the under-boot band. I've seen guys ride with those. You'll want to replace that band as it wears through, but that shouldn't happen terribly often.

You could get the bottom part of your jeans tailored to fit just a bit more tightly to your boots.

I wear kevlar jeans, too, and they're done "boot-cut" which tends to drive me a little crazy and am trying different things to see what I like. Mine don't ride up so bad, but they do kind of "flap" in the wind which I'd like to reduce and I'm not sure the bottom part would stay put in a crash.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #7
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Maybe you can try getting them tailored. Sounds like they're super loose; they look that way in the picture too.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I think you should super glue your pants to your legs.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #9
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
I always tuck my pants into my boots....

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #10
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
This is a problem with the pirates, they have a solution. They are called stirrups

Tucked in is probably marginally better, but if the wind/position does that, imagine what the pavement will do

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-stirrups-and-clips

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote