ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 14th, 2021, 07:55 AM   #41
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, basically a wash. If you're not on edge of detonation, there shouldn't be any difference. If you do notice a difference, there's some maintenance issues that needs to be attended to, such as lots of carbon build-up in cylinders from running too rich. This retains heat and increases compression.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 14th, 2021, 02:30 PM   #42
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yep putting premium in a bike is usually meaningless and a waste of good money.... but I didn't know, and I don't like Pinging... it's really hard on bikes
but it does no harm , and is better than pinging to add higher octane fuel.... i should have known better, almost all bikes can run Regular !!!
back in the early 1970's I got a load of bad regular and it Pinged anytime it was under power... I drained the gas out and syphened some out of the tractor for it
and everything was fine.... I just choked the heck out of it when it was running to suck the water out..... but with the chokes the ninja has that would do no good as they are technically an enricher not a choke... and the float bowl would need to be drained.
With these carbs being so hard to get in and out, is there some carb cleaner that you add to the fuel that you guys use in the interim time while your using it , as a preventive measure ?
.... I was thinking of getting some Gummout and putting it in the tank...
see if that did anything.... i think most of those products are just gimmicks to separate you from your money and do nothing... but the injector cleaners work to a limited degree.
yes, I was quite pleased with the Ninja's ride last night... she handled real good ...
Bob....

Old September 14th, 2021, 02:40 PM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Techron or a similar additive with PEA (polyether-amine) actually does some good as a cleaner. I've had it save me from having to clean my chainsaw carburetor by putting a fairly strong mixture of it in, running it for a while, and letting it sit overnight.

As Ducatiman will tell you, a good preservative is worth using. He recommends it all the time. I use it if the motorcycle is going to sit more than a couple weeks. He likes the marine version of Sta-Bil. I use the one called "360 Degree Performance Sta-Bil", mainly because I have a bunch of it. I have no idea if there's actually any difference.

I don't think I'd use Gumout or a similar cleaner because of the diaphragms.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2021, 03:07 PM   #44
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ahh SOOOO ! thanks Jim !
much appreciated !
Bob........

Old September 14th, 2021, 05:35 PM   #45
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Note that there’s several Techron variations. Use one of following with decent amount of PEA:

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- Gumout All-in-One
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000

Old September 14th, 2021, 06:36 PM   #46
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I just came home with a bottle of the sta-bel 360 stuff I saw no textron at the Autozone store in Yreka.... as it was I had to pay $8.99 for that tiny bottle of stuff ! that's outrageous !..
I think I'll dump half the bottle in that thing and save the rest for later !
that should give it a good high dose of stuff ! LOL.....
Darn...I forgot to get a small setscrew for my new tap and die set bummer !
.... that's a good excuse to hop on the Ninja and go get one Right ???
HAHAHAHAHA
Bob.....

Old September 14th, 2021, 08:07 PM   #47
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
textron?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2021, 08:46 PM   #48
DannoXYZ

That’s that new-age high-tech nanobot octane-boosting fuel-system cleaner!!! Comes with their own microscopic ultrasonic scrub-brushes to really clean your carbs!!!

Old September 14th, 2021, 10:37 PM   #49
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yah well, what ever it was OK ? HAHAHHAHAHA
they didn't have anything that started with a "T"
..... Scrubbing Bubbles ? I always heard having bubbles in the fuel line was a bad thing ! you know ...vapor-lock ? LOL
on our way back from town today we were passed by 6 BMW adventure machines they were traveling at 80 mph... looked like they all were tired and been on the road all day ! I kept up with them for a while but gave up.
they were definitely mo-tating down the road !.... sparked a conversation with the wife about seating positions and all on the bikes, unlike the ninja they looked quite comfortable !
I'm going to see if I can get away for a bit of riding tomorrow and neglect the things that need done around the house ! you know, make my butt sore on that hard as rock seat ! but look cool doing it ! ( that's the thing ...Right ?)

the older I get the more creature comforts I seek !
later !
Bob.....

Old September 30th, 2021, 06:29 PM   #50
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

ok Guys and gals here is what I finally came up with....
I've lowered the front by 2"
and I went up 2 clicks on the preload to give me a 29" seat height
.... the handling is superb.... and the seat height is low enough so I can push it around with my legs sitting on the thing ( only a 30" inseam)
although I did go up with the rear more than I would have liked to I do think it's for the best....
as I had to fill in some gaps in the concrete to get the bike in the back yard without dragging the under carrage... so I figured a bit more wouldn't hurt
Yes the bike is LOW as compared to stock but I have not ran into any problems with my riding ... Remember I'm not racing this thing but I do like to corner , but I am so out of practice so far I haven't really done any real good corners.... not anything approaching dragging a knee ( even with it so low ) but for me that's fine
.... unlike back at the Ranch where I knew the road by hart and could ride it in my sleep.... these roads up here are relitively new to me, I've only lived in this neck of the woods for going on 5 years now... and the Deer pop out of no-where up here.... going fast is an invite to disaster !
and I really do hate road rash ! so I ride reasonably .... yes above the speed limit that is marked , but I do that in the car too... if the speed limit says 35mph for a corner I usually take it at 45 to 50 ... but it's safe and not pushing it at all .
.... it's a good bike and I love it.... but I have a feeling because of the position you have to be in to ride it, I will be riding my other bike much more !......if I get it in October I will post pics ! ...I can hardly wait !
with my luck I'll be lucky to have it before the snow falls !
Bob.........

Old October 12th, 2021, 06:59 PM   #51
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I took the Ninja 250R out for a ride a bit ago and was pleasantly surprised at it's performance. I put half a bottle of Sta-bil Fast Fix in her tank and warmed her up and then went down Hoy road and back through some twisties and then home.... the engine started improving just after I got on Hoy Road about a mile down the road and just kept getting better ! that thing cleaned out and really ran like a top ! i didn't know it had it in her ! I did an acceleration test and WOW.... it goes real good now ! I took it up to red line in 3rd
and kept the throttle at WOT till I reached 80mph and then I leveled her off
and back down slowly for the corners ahead.... with it running like that I think it can reach 100mph on flat ground easy !
as far as the handling goes with the front down 2" and the rear up 2 clicks on the preload after I lowered it I'ed have to say it Might be a bit too fast reacting ! it corners like a dream, goes where you think, and in general is the best handling machine I've EVER owned ....NOW !
it was a brisk ride so I put on my HWK jacket and just pants and boots... and yes my legs are still cold.... I guess I should'a put on the over pants as well LOL.
Bob......

Old October 12th, 2021, 10:17 PM   #52
DannoXYZ

Woohoo!!! What fun!!!

Old October 29th, 2021, 11:18 AM   #53
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

I wish I would've taken pictures of the hole that was bored into my fender liner/rear mud guard after the previous owner used a lowering link. It was a hole that wore completely through and melted all the plastic that was big enough to fit my fingers through.

I had to use bondo and sand it down for a day straight and then use truck bed liner so it wasn't noticeable. But wow did I wish lowering links weren't a thing. Any further and the wiring and relays under the seat would've been all jacked up.

Lowering links are also much weaker because of all the holes drilled into them. Almost no material for a bolt to be supported. Highly discourage anyone from using them unless you're okay with bottoming out on your inner fender liner and it looking like poo underneath the seat
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2021, 02:03 PM   #54
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I can attest to that !!! when I lowered the Ninja 4" the tire did touch the fender
on bad bumps ! so I just used the Pre load and took it up a notch
after riding it like that for a while and having no problems I decided to take it up one more click and that is where it's been every sense....
I fired up the Ninja today after setting for 2 weeks and it started great
.... the 250R is a Really nice bike....as long as you don't have to work on it
then it's a bitch !
LOL.....
Bob.....

Old October 29th, 2021, 07:37 PM   #55
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

Thank you for having mercy. My previous owner didn't! Lol

I spent most of my time forgetting the 250r has preload adj. And I still haven't messed with it. I love this bike
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2021, 08:37 PM   #56
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah their a great bike I have a 2012 Kawasaki 250R Ninja and it is definitely the best handling bike I've ever owned... and I've had around 75 bikes in my life including a '68 w1 650 Kawasaki, which was nothing but a BSA... it was better than good it was great at handling country roads... but this Ninja is better than it was.... the problem with the ninja for me is the bent over position you have to be in to ride the darn thing.... I don't like the "Crotch-rocket" style of riding....i'm getting used to it but I am sure the Triumph will have me spoiled in no time ! HAHAHHAHA !
Bob......