ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Who does Luggage????

Hey all. I have used my Ninjette for everything from getting groceries to sport touring. Ended up breaking down and buying some luggage in 2008 so I didn't have to wear a 1500lb backpack all the time. Went with Nelson Rigg Saddlebags and Tailbag. Thought I'd show and see who else here uses luggage on there ninjette and for what purpose. I will be riding from South Seattle down to Salem Oregon mid next month and have to pack all my stuff on the bike with me. May ride out to central Oregon from Salem, but thats still up in the air....

Only update before the trip will be an updated tank bag from my current little Joe Rocket Special. I NEED a MAP pocket!!! Here is the link to the one I am getting. Nelson Rigg once again!

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/83

If anyone is looking for Sportbike luggage, Nelson Rigg makes some AWESOME bags, IMO...

P.s. My 8 and 4 year olds are NOT part of my luggage. they just have to sit on Dad's motorcycle EVERYTIME it comes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (125.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (128.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (127.5 KB, 32 views)
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Name: Joyce

Motorcycle(s): black 2010 ninja250

oh thats great!
I'm hoping to pick up a 2010 tomorrow, do the new ones have room for luggage as well?
joyinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinc View Post
oh thats great!
I'm hoping to pick up a 2010 tomorrow, do the new ones have room for luggage as well?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Soft_Luggage_Options
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM   #4
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
i love this site lol
i keep asking all these newbie questions! thank you!

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Also take a look here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27077

And in the 'Similar threads' list at the very bottom of the page

I've been looking hard at this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/704/
Another forum member used it for some pretty good distance riding and posted a pretty favorable review:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29108

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #6
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Also take a look here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27077

And in the 'Similar threads' list at the very bottom of the page

I've been looking hard at this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/704/
Another forum member used it for some pretty good distance riding and posted a pretty favorable review:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29108
wicked! i would love to take a long trip on this bike... it seems like it'd be comfy enough for that, but i wasnt sure that you could pack anything on it... so the new generations have something underneath to clip things to from what i understand?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM   #7
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

KKIM, you rock! LOL, and you make me realize maybe I should do a thread search sometime before I start a new one about the same things.....

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
KKIM, you rock! LOL, and you make me realize maybe I should do a thread search sometime before I start a new one about the same things.....
lol...

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #9
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

You know what, I just realized I compared the Cortech Bags in the WIKI for New-Gen to the Nelson Rigg bags I have now, and they fit almost exactly the same on the Pre-Gens. I went with the Nelson Rigg bags because they had a couple more features, seemed more organizable to me, and were a HECK of a lot cheaper!!! DO the Nelson Rigg's not fit on the new Gens? Is the Exhaust that much higher, or would it be a strap issue?

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM   #10
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I use nelson Rigg bags on my 08. Don't have a good picture, but they are the mini saddlebags(SSC-140, same as CL-900) , and the same tailbag as you (CL-150).

I will take a better picture before I sell my bike, but here it is with the saddle bags. The larger ones were only an inch or so away from the exhaust (without anything in them).

camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:34 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
wicked! i would love to take a long trip on this bike... it seems like it'd be comfy enough for that, but i wasnt sure that you could pack anything on it... so the new generations have something underneath to clip things to from what i understand?
I'm the guy who posted the positive review of the Cargo Bag, linked above.

There's a single pair of hooks under the rear seat, but they're pretty useless IMHO because of their location.

The Cargo Bag comes with four straps, with corresponding spring-loaded buckles on the bag. The straps have loops in the end so you can attach them to any tubular object. Most tail bags have some sort of similar arrangement.

I attached the front straps to the passenger footpeg brackets, and the rear straps got looped trough some D rings that I'd attached to the license plate bolts.

Worked great. Stable, and it wasn't hard at all to put the bag on the bike and take it off. If you ride to dinner at the end of the day, DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE STRAPS OFF TOO!!!! (No, I didn't find out the hard way, but it could ruin your whole afternoon if you got something tangled up.)

Something to be aware of when you have a tailbag is that you need to get your leg over it to get on the bike. At the time I was having really serious knee problems, and I literally had to grab the cuff of my pants with my right hand and use my arm to haul my leg over the top of the thing.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM   #12
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Great info! thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #13
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Consider the Nelson Rigg tank bag to fill out the set. I love my compact one, the larger one will fit most helmets.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #14
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Roommate has the larger one. Maybe I will borrow it to take a picture of the whole set.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #15
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Couldn't help myself, I just bought the CL-950 bags and CL-350 tank bag from NewEnough. My old Fieldsheer bags were really falling apart from being used daily for over three years. I'll take some photos when they show up.

Old March 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #16
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

On my 08, I found that moving my turn signals back and putting them where the red reflectors (some drilling required) go, right and left of the license plate, gave me more room for the bags and made the turn signals more visible. I got smaller red reflectors and put them in the space vacated by the turn signals. (With some creative routing, the wires are long enough--so it`s plug and play)
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM   #17
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
Couldn't help myself, I just bought the CL-950 bags and CL-350 tank bag from NewEnough. My old Fieldsheer bags were really falling apart from being used daily for over three years. I'll take some photos when they show up.
Would love to see the CL-350 on a Pre-Gen!

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #18
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Quote:
Would love to see the CL-350 on a Pre-Gen!
Here you go:

I had thought that the CL-350 would be too big, but it's perfect. The side pockets are big enough for tools, etc. and the main compartment absolutely swallows everything I need. It takes my lunch bag and all the little things I need to toss in as well. The rain cover is heavy duty and expands as well. The bag even expands to hold a full-face helmet, not that I need it to with the Givi...

The CL-950's are a great fit. They have lots of little details that make swapping the old Fieldsheer bags out a no-brainer. The waterproof rain covers are nice and heavy, doubt they'll shred in the wind like the FS ones. They don't expand, but they fit everything I need. I don't do any touring more than a few hours at a time, but the compatible seat bags would give more than enough storage spare for any reasonable trip.

Let me know if you would like to see any specific shots or angles. I just had to do a Bluebonnet shot, being a Texan and all...

Old April 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #19
JeffM
Mr. 988

Motorcycle(s): One

Here is my bike with all my luggage. Tank and saddle bags are the Cargo brand from Cycle Gear. Tail bag is homemade from 6-pack cooler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.jpg (60.3 KB, 16 views)
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #20
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I am a big fan of the Nelson-Rigg bags. I don't think anyone mentioned it but they come with a lifetime warranty. I have a set of the mini (CL-900) saddlebags, the CL-75 mini sport tail bag & I just bought the CL-800 tote for longer trips. I have to say that I am completely satisfied with Nelson-Rigg products.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #21
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
Here you go:

I had thought that the CL-350 would be too big, but it's perfect. The side pockets are big enough for tools, etc. and the main compartment absolutely swallows everything I need. It takes my lunch bag and all the little things I need to toss in as well. The rain cover is heavy duty and expands as well. The bag even expands to hold a full-face helmet, not that I need it to with the Givi...

The CL-950's are a great fit. They have lots of little details that make swapping the old Fieldsheer bags out a no-brainer. The waterproof rain covers are nice and heavy, doubt they'll shred in the wind like the FS ones. They don't expand, but they fit everything I need. I don't do any touring more than a few hours at a time, but the compatible seat bags would give more than enough storage spare for any reasonable trip.

Let me know if you would like to see any specific shots or angles. I just had to do a Bluebonnet shot, being a Texan and all...
Thanks Levon! I was wondering how it would look with it in my mind it may be a bit to big for what I am looking for, but it looks about right!! Great Pic! What do you think of those Kenda 671's your running there????

Old April 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #22
camaroz1985

Here is my bike with bags. (Not adjusted, just set on there for pictures)

First this is the Nelson-Rigg SSC-140 saddle bags, CL-150 tail bag, and CL-350 tank bag.

I have never ridden with this setup, but the bars can go lock to lock without your hands contacting the tank bag. The tail bag makes it a little hard to get on, but you can just do the one leg straight out and over instead of sweeping it over the tail. This would hold tons of stuff, easily enough for a week or two. The tank bag, and tail bag are not expanded in these pictures. The tank bag will go higher when expanded, and the tail bag goes both higher and wider (side pockets expand).

Next is the same setup with the Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag.

This bag is a bit smaller, but still hold a good amount of stuff. I have ridden with this bag probably 5-6K miles. I can fit a summer weekend's worth of clothes in the tank bag alone.

Finally is the Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag with just the Nelson-Rigg SSC-140 saddle bags.

This is the setup I have used for most of my trips on the 250. It easily holds a long weekend's worth of clothes including sweat shirts, jackets, 2 pairs of shoes, towel, etc. You might notice I also move the saddle bags forward a little. This allows the turn signals to be seen from the side, but can't be done with the tail bag, as ther is basically no place left to sit (maybe you could adjust them a little more and get it better with the tail bag).

Rear turn signal side view.

Old April 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #23
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Quote:
Thanks Levon! I was wondering how it would look with it in my mind it may be a bit to big for what I am looking for, but it looks about right!! Great Pic! What do you think of those Kenda 671's your running there????
The bags look big, but they fit great. The tank bag doesn't get in the way of steering or instrumentation, even expanded. The saddlebags have room to spare in regards to the exhaust. I still need to tighten the straps a bit, but they fit great. I wish I would have gone with these the first time around. The Fieldsheer bags were a waste of time, and I think I actually spent more money on them. I just wish I could mount them under the seat for security reasons. I may cut holes in the rear strap for the rubber stoppers to fit through, I haven't decided yet.

I don't think that you can compete with the Kenda's for value and longevity, as well as confident cornering. I'm on my second rear and first front tire, never lost traction even in wet (I don't ride aggressively). I'm running a K657 rear and a K671 front, one size up from stock for a softer ride.

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #24
bigair
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Kappa TK731. Big and also expandable. I have them mounted way forward with one strap under the rider seat and one strap under the pillion seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1397.jpg (105.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1400.jpg (113.4 KB, 11 views)

Old April 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #25
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

I finally got around to taking some good photos of the bike with the new luggage mounted...

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #26
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

For all Canadians the Sidewind Tank bag/Saddlebag is on sale at CT for $67.49. I bought this set last year and use the tank bag everytime i go out. Keep everything pretty dry during 30 min ride in a downpour i got caught in one time. The only thing that got wet was the zippers and whatever was touching them. Great buy for the price

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #27
camaroz1985

Nelson Rigg has a "budget" line called Spirit. Might be worth looking into if you just want some cheap, high quality luggage (the two usually don't go together).

Old May 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #28
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
For all Canadians the Sidewind Tank bag/Saddlebag is on sale at CT for $67.49. I bought this set last year and use the tank bag everytime i go out. Keep everything pretty dry during 30 min ride in a downpour i got caught in one time. The only thing that got wet was the zippers and whatever was touching them. Great buy for the price
How big are the saddlebags? i was just thinking of getting some expandable ones from royal distributing... do most saddlebags fit the 250?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #29
camaroz1985

Most will, just be careful they don't hang too low or they will touch your exhaust (assuming you have stock exhaust).

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #30
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
...Nelson Rigg Saddlebags and Tailbag....Joe Rocket Special [tank bag].
This is the exact same setup that I got last summer, exactly. Like you, I want to get a bigger tank bag with a full map pocket.

Aside from one broken zipper I've been very, very happy with my Nelson Rigg bags. I didn't even realize the tailbag was expandable until one day I noticed the zipper around the base and unzipped it to see what it did.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #31
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
On my 08, I found that moving my turn signals back and putting them where the red reflectors (some drilling required) go, right and left of the license plate, gave me more room for the bags and made the turn signals more visible. I got smaller red reflectors and put them in the space vacated by the turn signals. (With some creative routing, the wires are long enough--so it`s plug and play)
Hey, I took my new Nelsen Riggs cl-1000 saddlebags out for a shakedown cruise this afternoon and it looks like there is a problem with the rear signal lights. What exactly did you do to solve your problem? Got any pics?
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #32
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:
How big are the saddlebags? i was just thinking of getting some expandable ones from royal distributing... do most saddlebags fit the 250?
Posted via Mobile Device
Here are some pics i took with cell with the wrong setting. They are empty in the pics but they are pretty big. I set them high enough so they don't touch the exhaust. Rode with them over 300km and they didn't move. I did notice some fading of the paint where the rear fender stick out. I since added a piece of foam sheet to stop it from touching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0728092039.jpg (132.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0728092039a.jpg (112.0 KB, 8 views)