ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How hot do the clutch and stator covers get? What temperature?

Rather than painting, I want to cover my clutch and stator covers with CF vinyl. Obviously, this won't work if they are going to melt, but I need to know what kinds of temps these surfaces run before researching the exact material.

Any idea?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
well the water can get up to 180Fish or even boiling in a failing system. i think the case would be around there. cooler on those outer covers too. probably safe to assume somewhere between 150-200F

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

At the temps of the engine case...usually in 160-180F the CF vinyl probably wont melt, but it will perhaps bubble or discolor a bit.

I dont think I would recommend it.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

powder coat them.

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
well the water can get up to 180Fish or even boiling in a failing system. i think the case would be around there. cooler on those outer covers too. probably safe to assume somewhere between 150-200F
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
At the temps of the engine case...usually in 160-180F the CF vinyl probably wont melt, but it will perhaps bubble or discolor a bit.

I dont think I would recommend it.
Thanks. I think the newgen-J/K clutch bolt pattern is the same and so the SSR CF clutch cover will probably fit (HATE the gloss though). I might be able to get away with real CF sheets on the stator side but I'll need a high-temp adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
powder coat them.
Yeah, I was going to paint it and the frame high-temp flat black but half the reason to use CF vinyl there was to cover the scrapes and stuff painting or powder-coating won't. The other half of the reason was so that I wouldn't have to take the engine apart.

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Thanks.

Thanks. I think the newgen-J/K clutch bolt pattern is the same and so the SSR CF clutch cover will probably fit (HATE the gloss though). I might be able to get away with real CF sheets on the stator side but I'll need a high-temp adhesive.

Yeah, I was going to paint it and the frame high-temp flat black but half the reason to use CF vinyl there was to cover the scrapes and stuff painting or powder-coating won't.The other half of the reason was so that I wouldn't have to take the engine apart.
Have done the high temp paint. And it lasts as long as your clean about it. But if you get gas or anything that will eat through paint on it it will look terrible. Ask me how i know...... lol.

But if your going to take the time to paint them i would say powder coat them. Idk if vinyl will do it. I have vinyl on the body panels and it doesnt like the heat coming from the radiator so i could assume it not being so well on the engine itself.

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Why not just polish them? It's a lot easier.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Why not just polish them? It's a lot easier.
Actually, I replaced the sprocket cover, rearsets, and frame hole caps with newgen-J parts specifically to black it all out and the glossy-black engine covers just don't match. I'm going to paint the frame from my parts bike flat black too and move this engine into it. I guess I'll hit it with some hi-temp exhaust paint during the cross-over.

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Did you take the passenger pegs off?

I've thought about blacking mine out, except then I'd have to paint the swingarm.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Did you take the passenger pegs off?

I've thought about blacking mine out, except then I'd have to paint the swingarm.
Yes, though I'm considering painting and reinstalling. The swingarm is also replaced with a black newgen-J part, but you already knew that.

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yessir. I'm jealous of that. If I can ever find a good donor bike for cheap, I'll do the whole suspension conversion. But I'm pretty happy with it for now. It's at a point where if I'm out riding the suspension, I should get myself an SS yo! I'm a long way off of out riding the 250
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote