Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Lost value?

As of this Saturday I should be the new owner of a 2009 ZX6r

This means however I will no longer be using my 2005 Ninja 250, I am curious though how much value the bike may have lost.

When I bought the bike (May 2013) the bike had 800 miles on it. In the summer alone I put roughly 4500 miles on it. The bike was completely stock when I purchased it; I deleted the tail section and updated the license plate/turn signal setup, and updated the gauges to white faces. The worse was I laid it down going about 10 mph down a hill and hit gravel. Also garage kept all winter.

I bought the bike for $1800 last year, given its mileage and current condition, how much less do you think I can get for this? I know I've seen 250's in horrible condition still go for $1500. (I realize all answers are subject to region, personal opinion and guess, just help me make an educated target price)

Can probably buff out (literally)

Can't do much here

Where my knee impacted the otherside of the tank, not gonna fix this one

And the bike before (and mostly after), in its overall true condtion
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I can guarantee with absolute certainty that it is worth somewhere between $0 and $5000.

Glad I could help.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I will pay you $5500 for it.

If that is unacceptable I will also haul it away to the dump for only $500
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

$1500 sounds fair to me! Have you done a valve adjustment? With 5300 miles it may have a major service coming up (I'm not sure on the pregen service schedule).
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
hmm I'd say it's probably worth around 1,300-1,500 but depending on the condition of the tires a potential buyer taking them into effect would subtract about $150 from that (not the full cost of the tires but enough to where they'd stay within whatever budget they have and be able to get new tires for it)

Assuming that you are running the original tires which would be 9 years old at this point new tires would probably be needed due to age alone disregarding wear.
Also if you do decide to sell it let me know, you aren't that far from me and I have a friend who might be interested though seeing as he hasn't been active in looking for bikes yet I'm starting to doubt his words a bit :'( still worth a shot though.

from the pictures everything looks good except the tires though.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I don't think you will have much of a problem getting back most of your 1800 if you downplay the scratches and did maintenance to give the buyer some peace of mind. 1300-1600 would be a good range if you want to be competitive with the current prices in your area.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #7
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
$1500 sounds fair to me! Have you done a valve adjustment? With 5300 miles it may have a major service coming up (I'm not sure on the pregen service schedule).
I have not, I did have the carbs out of the bike pre season and did a personal inspection and cleaning. May use the place I'm buying my new bike from to do a clean up, inspection and valve adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
hmm I'd say it's probably worth around 1,300-1,500 but depending on the condition of the tires a potential buyer taking them into effect would subtract about $150 from that (not the full cost of the tires but enough to where they'd stay within whatever budget they have and be able to get new tires for it)

Assuming that you are running the original tires which would be 9 years old at this point new tires would probably be needed due to age alone disregarding wear.
Also if you do decide to sell it let me know, you aren't that far from me and I have a friend who might be interested though seeing as he hasn't been active in looking for bikes yet I'm starting to doubt his words a bit :'( still worth a shot though.

from the pictures everything looks good except the tires though.
Let me know, I work in Westminster, MD so I frequent the Maryland area. Right now the bike is up in Williamsport, PA at a friends garage, but should have it down this way next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
I don't think you will have much of a problem getting back most of your 1800 if you downplay the scratches and did maintenance to give the buyer some peace of mind. 1300-1600 would be a good range if you want to be competitive with the current prices in your area.
I am thinking after I do some of the fix up (buffing, new turn signal, handle bar end caps) that I might also see about having a new set of tires installed. I kinda want to leave the new owner with little to worry about and be able to ride right away, I remember the itch to ride it when I first got it!
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote