ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:22 PM   #81
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
members, tell what stand can do this?

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:23 PM   #82
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
oh, i forgot with 1 pump. nice. blairs stand are the cadillacs of race/bike stands

Old April 21st, 2018, 02:25 PM   #83
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18

Old April 21st, 2018, 04:46 PM   #84
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Very nice... Very nice... Chief!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2018, 07:38 PM   #85
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Very nice... Very nice... Chief!
thanx for the sag tip on the rear shock

Old May 8th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #86
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
kkim's brick technique helped me out today It was my first time using a rear stand by myself. I've owned the stand for a while and had put off using it because of how sketchy it felt as soon as I started to put force on the handle to lift the bike up. It makes a huge difference if you just get the bike standing almost vertical before you start. You can get both of the little spindle holders in place and there is almost no side to side motion of the bike as you lever it up.

Old May 8th, 2018, 09:42 PM   #87
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
blairs sv stand. a engineering marvel

Old May 9th, 2018, 04:42 AM   #88
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
kkim's brick technique helped me out today It was my first time using a rear stand by myself. I've owned the stand for a while and had put off using it because of how sketchy it felt as soon as I started to put force on the handle to lift the bike up. It makes a huge difference if you just get the bike standing almost vertical before you start. You can get both of the little spindle holders in place and there is almost no side to side motion of the bike as you lever it up.
It does get easier with experience. What you'll find is that once you've got both spools in the cradles and with just a little force on the stand handle, the bike is very stable. As long as you don't let go of the stand handle, it's not going anywhere and you're free to get into a position where you can push down hard and lift the bike.

Before I had my Ninjette all my bikes had center stands so I never needed a paddock stand. Finally got one with the 250 and it was nerve-wracking... and I dropped the bike more than once. I used the block-under-the-kickstand trick for quite a while.

But now that I'm track riding, I lift bikes all the time... multiple times per day... and it's become second nature to do it with one hand on the tail and the other on the stand. Learned more or less from necessity, because I was always misplacing the darned block.

Sequence is:
- Stand next to the tail of the bike facing it, paddock stand in right hand.

- Position the left hook of the paddock stand on the left spool.

- Support bike with your left hip, left hand on the tail, and start to lift as you maneuver the right arm of the stand into place. The stand will want to rotate as the bike is lifted, so account for this. Fiddle around until you've got everything lined up. This is something you'll get the hang of. Left hip is supporting the bike, Left hand is still on the tail to pull it back if it starts to get away from you. Right hand maneuvers the stand as necessary to engage both hooks. You're facing more or less to the rear at this point.

- Once both hooks are definitely on the spools, put a little weight on the stand handle. You can now remove your left hand and stop supporting the bike with your hip.

- Shove down on the paddock stand handle hard. Done.

Coming down off the paddock stand, just make sure the handlebars are turned to the left and the kickstand is down. The bike will naturally fall to the left and land on the kickstand.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:14 AM   #89
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It does get easier with experience. What you'll find is that once you've got both spools in the cradles and with just a little force on the stand handle, the bike is very stable. As long as you don't let go of the stand handle, it's not going anywhere and you're free to get into a position where you can push down hard and lift the bike.

Before I had my Ninjette all my bikes had center stands so I never needed a paddock stand. Finally got one with the 250 and it was nerve-wracking... and I dropped the bike more than once. I used the block-under-the-kickstand trick for quite a while.

But now that I'm track riding, I lift bikes all the time... multiple times per day... and it's become second nature to do it with one hand on the tail and the other on the stand. Learned more or less from necessity, because I was always misplacing the darned block.

Sequence is:

Coming down off the paddock stand, just make sure the handlebars are turned to the left and the kickstand is down. The bike will naturally fall to the left and land on the kickstand.
Thanks a lot for the tips.

While you're here: one of the main reasons I bought he paddock stand was to remove pressure from the left side of the tyres when the bike is standing unused for a long time over winter. I heard that if you don't use a bike for along period, you can also get mechanical issues. Would it be sufficient to periodically start the bike on the stand and pop it into first gear and leave it running for a bit?

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #90
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Thanks a lot for the tips.

While you're here: one of the main reasons I bought he paddock stand was to remove pressure from the left side of the tyres when the bike is standing unused for a long time over winter. I heard that if you don't use a bike for along period, you can also get mechanical issues. Would it be sufficient to periodically start the bike on the stand and pop it into first gear and leave it running for a bit?
There is truth to putting the bike on stands to prevent tire issues. When I bought my track use r6 it had been sitting in a garage on the side stand for 3yrs. The tires had about 5lbs of pressure in each. Between sitting, leaning, low pressure, temp changes and gravity the tires had a very nice "flat spot" in each. While riding on those tires, I felt mild "chatter." Getting the weight of the bike off the tires will prevent this. But it is also related to your question about running the bike every so often.

Run it every now and then? Nah... don't do that. If you know you are not going to be riding your bike for a long time, do a proper long term storage prep of your bike and leave it that way. Riders get mechanical issues mostly due to improper storage and weather exposure. Also, running the bike in gear on the stands isn't really all that safe. It happens, but even at the track where a 100 bikes are running on stands, its rare to see one in gear on the stands.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2018, 06:48 AM   #91
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I have a forward handle rear stand (Pitbull), and it's quite easy to get the bike up on it.

1) I slide the stand under the bike and roughly line it up while the bike is on its kickstand.
2) I stand the bike up and fold up the kickstand (it blocks the stand handle if it's extended).
3) Holding the left handle bar with my left hand, I position the rear stand on the spools with my right hand and push the handle down, picking the bike up onto the stand.

Took me a few rounds of practice to get the feel of where the right side spool is (you can't see it unless you're really tall), but now it's fast. It's obvious with just a little pressure on the handle if you found the spool or not.

Forward handle stand is much more compact when holding a bike than a regular one, and it feels better to me when lifting and dropping a bike by myself.

https://www.pit-bull.com/dual-swinga...tand-f0043-000
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:59 AM   #92
adouglas
Cat herder

What csmith12 said.

The thing about periodic starts during off-season storage is that the bike has to get good and warm to cook off any moisture that's formed due to condensation.

Put stabilizer in with your end-of-season fillup and run long enough to get it through the system (e.g. ride home from the gas station), do chain maintenance while it's still warm (so you won't forget), clean up the bike, put it on stands, plug in the battery tender and walk away. I guarantee it'll fire right up the following spring and be ready to rock.

Old May 9th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #93
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Thanks csmith12 and adouglas

Old May 9th, 2018, 08:25 AM   #94
adouglas
Cat herder

Wait a sec... you only have a rear stand?

Get a front one, too, for storage. Ideally a hybrid so you can lift either by the fork tubes or the steering tube. The former is easier, the latter is great for getting the weight off the forks for service and such.

NEVER EVER lift the front first. Rear stand, then front.

Here in the US Pit-Bull is the preferred brand. Bulletproof, designed and built by ex-NASA engineers. In the UK I'm sure there's an equivalent.

Old May 9th, 2018, 08:47 AM   #95
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Wait a sec... you only have a rear stand?
Ha ha. Yeah. Stop judging me!

Quote:
Get a front one, too, for storage. Ideally a hybrid so you can lift either by the fork tubes or the steering tube. The former is easier, the latter is great for getting the weight off the forks for service and such.
I plan to get a front stand too at some point. I figured that it's better to have just a rear stand that no stands at all though, as:

- the rear tyre is kept completely off the ground (1 tyre out of 2 is well preserved)
- I can more easily do chain maintenance (not possible with only a front stand)
- I'm guessing it's probably worse to get flat spots on the left side of the tyre than on a central point on the tyre.

Quote:
NEVER EVER lift the front first. Rear stand, then front.

Here in the US Pit-Bull is the preferred brand. Bulletproof, designed and built by ex-NASA engineers. In the UK I'm sure there's an equivalent.
Thanks for tips

I did actually look around a bit for Pit-Bull stands. They don't seem to be readily available in the UK. There are loads of options for me though.

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #96
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My hubby got an Abbas stand for his Triumph, and we got a new set of pins for my Ninja. They fit in the swing-arm slots and holds bikes pretty securely. We can get a bike up to working height!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2021, 08:01 PM   #97
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Or.... if your a cheap O'l man and would rather make it yourself you can....
this is the REFINED version, the first version dropped the bike against the Logan lathe and busted the fairing ! GRRRRR !
and Yes I can put it on the stand myself without help, I did it slowly and made sure the forks were lining up on the swing arm and then once I was sure I just put the handle to the floor.
of note I used to thin of angle iron to build this thing... I should have used heavier stuff and I wouldn't have had to add the cross brace !
the 3/4" water pipe I added to each side was to keep it from tipping over again.... it's worked so far !

Bob.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HM Ninja stand 01.jpg (63.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HM ninja stand 02.jpg (98.3 KB, 3 views)

Old September 27th, 2021, 08:31 PM   #98
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I have a forward handle rear stand (Pitbull), and it's quite easy to get the bike up on it.

1) I slide the stand under the bike and roughly line it up while the bike is on its kickstand.
2) I stand the bike up and fold up the kickstand (it blocks the stand handle if it's extended).
3) Holding the left handle bar with my left hand, I position the rear stand on the spools with my right hand and push the handle down, picking the bike up onto the stand.

Took me a few rounds of practice to get the feel of where the right side spool is (you can't see it unless you're really tall), but now it's fast. It's obvious with just a little pressure on the handle if you found the spool or not.

Forward handle stand is much more compact when holding a bike than a regular one, and it feels better to me when lifting and dropping a bike by myself.

https://www.pit-bull.com/dual-swinga...tand-f0043-000
KOOL ! a better version of the one I made.... I gott'a make another one I see and this time add some steel wheels !
Bob........

Old September 28th, 2021, 06:31 AM   #99
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Or.... if your a cheap O'l man and would rather make it yourself you can....
this is the REFINED version, the first version dropped the bike against the Logan lathe and busted the fairing ! GRRRRR !
and Yes I can put it on the stand myself without help, I did it slowly and made sure the forks were lining up on the swing arm and then once I was sure I just put the handle to the floor.
of note I used to thin of angle iron to build this thing... I should have used heavier stuff and I wouldn't have had to add the cross brace !
the 3/4" water pipe I added to each side was to keep it from tipping over again.... it's worked so far !

Bob.......
Pretty cool design and awesome fabrication job!

Maybe "heavier" isn't what you're after, but stiffer and more rigid. So using wider & thinner pieces would give you stiffer structure for same weight. Larger-diameter 2" tubing with thin walls would be even lighter for higher stiffness. Brace you've got works even better because base of triangle is even larger than tubing! You'll want a triangular brace between lever and left-upright, it'll eventually snap off where lever joins cross-piece.

Old September 28th, 2021, 11:25 AM   #100
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

the stand I made for the XR650L honda was made from 1" galvanized water pipe and worked very well indeed.
I think making one from 1" square 1/8" wall steel tubing would be the best.
I want one like the Pit bull that you stand along side the bike and lever it up ...
that's a better idea ! no long handle out the back to trip over !
My Ninja has threaded holes for the Spools i think but I have no idea what size they are I think 10MM but what the thread count is I have no idea.
I was thinking of just bolting the stand to the bike ...then it can't tip over while it's on there !!!! HAHAHAHA !
Bob....

Old September 28th, 2021, 08:16 PM   #101
DannoXYZ

measure threads on swingarm. I've seen some 10x1.5mm and some 10x1.75mm. Supposedly some people have found both on same swingarm!

Old September 28th, 2021, 10:17 PM   #102
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well when I was messing arround with it in the shop I jammed some random bolts in the holes and buggered up the threads a bit so I took my new tap and die set and matched threads to it.... this one has 10mm 1.25 threads in those Spool holder holes....
man for 50 plus years I have been making due with what ever taps and dies I had on hand.... having a good complete set of taps and dies and the tools to hold them too is fantastic.... the holder for the tap part fits in the ratcheting handle and all that stuff the dies are octagon so they won't turn in the holder !
..... it's really a nice set !
set me back about 100 bucks but I got a good one anyway !
i matched a bolt with the threads in the holes and then measured the threads with the thread gauge... then ran the tap down them to clean them up a bit
their in good shape now.... I put bolts in there because I used vice grips to lock the swing arm to the floor jack I made and I was jerking on the bike a bunch and didn't want another "MISSHAP" of it falling off the jack !

I tried out my bike jack just for S&G's today and it worked great...
I had to extend the adjustable foot on the jack to just about the end but it worked great easy to get up and easy to get down...
unfortunately I forgot to take pictures ! ....
this Jack is destined to ride in the RX4 if I ever get it ! but I wanted to see if it would work on the Ninja.... and the answer is YES ! LOL

Old September 28th, 2021, 10:49 PM   #103
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Akima.....
you can still just cut 2 2"x4" short boards for each side of the front fork to get the front tire off the ground.... getting the bike ON those boards might be a struggle ( it would be for me) but I would use a screw jack under the engine
with wood blocks placed so you don't crush the plastic and just jack up the front.... I would get as far forward as I could with the jack though... and watch out it don't fall over doing this !
Bob...

Old September 29th, 2021, 09:53 AM   #104
DannoXYZ

Be sure you have rear-end on stand for wide base of support before lifting front-end. Especially if you're jacking up under engine... I wonder how I know that....

I like how you spaced uprights directly beneath swingarm. Strongest support with direct load-path. Adjustable stand I have has these lateral arms with lots of flex. I've dropped bike by having it not perfectly centred or on tilted tarmac.

Might just remove them and chop cross-piece to place uprights directly below swingarn like on your design.

Old September 29th, 2021, 12:22 PM   #105
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I was going to buy a stand but all the ones I saw had these tiny arms that slide out to come in contact with the swing arm.... the weakest link in the chain !
.... I'm wondering if I still have a piece of a camper jack so I can make a crank up bike lift for the Ninja.... that would be cool !
...I'ed like to see a close up of how they attach the hydraulic one to the foot peg.
though.... not sure how that could be real stable ! because stability is a MUST
with 350+ pounds in the air !
....Bob......