ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 12th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #41
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ok, my phone is charged enough for pix. I'll upload the pics here so they never vanish.

And just for the record, about 15-20 minutes with me fussing with the camera.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #42
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Okay, repair of the upper cowling pictures....

Don't mind my dirty bike. She's had a rough life since the pictures from Dec 2012.

First remove the side cover and lower cowling as detailed above:

Undo the two lower bolts uncovered

Undo the two upper bolts

Undo the two lower windshield bolts

Remove the two lower rivets

Be aware of the lip on the front edge of the radiator cover

Lift and pull the front cowling off

Balance the cowling with one hand and reach behind it to unplug the headlights

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; March 12th, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #43
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Thanks, Wolf!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #44
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Thanks for doing the community a service. It truly is people like you who make this a better place for all of us.

You've inspired me to do a proper DIY for my upcoming valve lash adjustment.

Old March 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #45
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
We need a thread like this for the 300! Great pics on this DIY thread everyone!
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #46
petersophy
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): '01 250R and 13' Ninja 300

Loving this thread, never liked the look of the 4th gen fully faired. Can't wait till it's done. Good luck!
petersophy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #47
SuperG$
ninjette.org member

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Great write up! I just removed my front fairings with this
SuperG$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2018, 11:51 PM   #48
rreneav1987
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Reneav

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Ninja 650R

Hey Guys,

I am new around here and I would like help and suggestion from all of you. I own a 2010 Ninja 250R in India. Recently, the speedo console (Dashboard) lights have gone dim and I feel they need to be replaced. I was thinking of going the LED way. Can you fellas guide/help me out?

will these bulbs do good? will you guys suggest White LED or Blue LED?
rreneav1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 02:35 PM   #49
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Personally I like a dull-red display. Just enough to see at night, but doesn't destroy night-vision.

Once upon a time back in my younger years, I was into bright white gauge-faces and bright LED bulbs that was fashionable. I think I had more lumens from my dash lighting up sky than my headlight was putting on ground. But I found whenever I looked at my gauges and back up at road, it was black! I had to wait 3-5 seconds as my pupils dilated back up to see road.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 10:59 PM   #50
rreneav1987
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Reneav

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Personally I like a dull-red display. Just enough to see at night, but doesn't destroy night-vision.

blue dash isn't pleasing to the eyes, hence I am trying to change the color (not sure how effective it would be by changing the color of the bulb) I drive a car with white dash and I am comfortable with it. However, the difference would be. I can adjust the brightness in my car which I won't be able to do with on my Ninja

Quote:
Once upon a time back in my younger years, I was into bright white gauge-faces and bright LED bulbs that was fashionable. I think I had more lumens from my dash lighting up sky than my headlight was putting on ground. But I found whenever I looked at my gauges and back up at road, it was black! I had to wait 3-5 seconds as my pupils dilated back up to see road.
Sounds like you are suggesting me not to go for the LED white bulbs! With a very good intention and I will take it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will probably pull of the fairing and get the things done over the coming weekend unless my wife has other plans.

Anyone else with other inputs? I am open to any suggestion and cautions
rreneav1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2021, 09:21 PM   #51
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LED white would be good but not the super bright ones.... unlike regular incandescent bulbs LED lights can get really bright and fit in small places...
so it's not so much stay away from white it is stay away from super bright LED's in the dash..... !!!!!
Hay Danno, can't you just add a Potentiometer(resistance Pot) to the V+ wire and then to the LED to make a dimmer for the LED's ? that way you could have a dimmer switch for your dash on the Ninja ....
it's a thought ......
Bob........

Old September 28th, 2021, 05:03 AM   #52
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

No, LEDs don't have linear response like incandescent bulbs. They're mostly on or off. To dim LED, you can't vary voltage, need to use PWM similar to fuel-injectors.

https://www.amazon.com/pwm-led-dimme...pwm+led+dimmer

Old September 28th, 2021, 05:17 AM   #53
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
No, LEDs don't have linear response like incandescent bulbs. They're mostly on or off. To dim LED, you can't vary voltage, need to use PWM similar to fuel-injectors.
Danno, you can definitely vary LED current to vary brightness, so using a series resistance to limit current works fine. PWM is often used because it's more efficient and easier to do with a microcontroller.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2021, 06:13 AM   #54
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Danno, you can definitely vary LED current to vary brightness, so using a series resistance to limit current works fine. PWM is often used because it's more efficient and easier to do with a microcontroller.
Sure, with incandescent, you can vary 1-12v to change brightness, LEDs are squeezed into narrow 3.0-3.5v range. If using any kind of pot, you're looking at 1/16-turn between full-brightness and complete darkness. And if you've got it balanced at that point, variable-voltage from alternator will cause it to flicker up & down. Just try it.

PWM is also much more precise due to them being current-regulators as well. So you set an output and it stays there regardless of variable input-voltage.

https://www.circuitbread.com/tutoria...-to-dim-an-led

Old September 28th, 2021, 06:46 AM   #55
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Sure, with incandescent, you can vary 1-12v to change brightness, LEDs are squeezed into narrow 3.0-3.5v range. If using any kind of pot, you're looking at 1/16-turn between full-brightness and complete darkness. And if you've got it balanced at that point, variable-voltage from alternator will cause it to flicker up & down. Just try it.
I've worked with LEDs for many years. It's not the junction voltage you vary with a series resistance, it's the current. With a 12v supply, an LED with a 3v junction drop can have its current controlled with a potentiometer and it will work quite well. As you change the resistance, the forward voltage of the LED will stay near 3v, but the current, and consequently the brightness, will vary much more linearly. Just try it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif led_current_brightness.gif (8.9 KB, 3 views)

Old September 28th, 2021, 11:41 AM   #56
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

seems to me I've done it with a pot before too... but it's been decades ago in my Ham radio days... haven't played with electronics much sense !
yes a pulse width Modulator is the Preferred way to do it, but not the only way !
they use much less power with a PWM .... but we're hooked to a big bike battery and don't care about power right ? ( we're not running it on 3 AAA batteries)
I suppose the value of the pot used would make or brake the idea, if you used a 3 meg ohm pot it probably would have such a narrow range you'd just see the LED flash as you went by the sweet spot... and if you use a 5K Ohm resister
Pot... it might not be enough I don't know.... not my day to figure it out ! LOL
might be fun to experiment with though !
.... it was just a thought !
Bob........

Old September 28th, 2021, 12:25 PM   #57
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

For an LED that's rated at 20 milliamps, a starting point might be a 10k pot. If it won't go dim enough, try higher resistance values.

Of course you need to either use an LED that is an assembly with an internal resistor like the incandescent replacement LEDs or if it's just a bare LED you need to have a fixed resistor in series with the pot so when it's up all the way current is still limited to no more than the LED's rating.

Efficiency is not a concern in this application because the highest power requirement will be when the pot is set to full brightness and the LED is run at its maximum current rating, and that power is 0.020 amps x 14 volts = 0.28 watts (about 1/4 of a watt) By comparison, the brake light draws about 2 amps and its power requirement is about 25 watts.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; September 28th, 2021 at 03:04 PM.

Old September 28th, 2021, 08:14 PM   #58
DannoXYZ

if using pot, make sure you get linear and not audio pot.

Old September 28th, 2021, 09:59 PM   #59
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

aren't all Pot's (potentiometers) variable resistors ? or did something change while I was away ? ...what's the difference between a regular pot and a audio-pot ?
Bob....

Old September 29th, 2021, 05:28 AM   #60
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
aren't all Pot's (potentiometers) variable resistors ? or did something change while I was away ? ...what's the difference between a regular pot and a audio-pot ?
Bob....
There are different type of potentiometers for different applications. Their resistance values change at different rates as you turn them. https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/r...ometer-taper/#

If you use a pot to vary the brightness of an LED, a linear type pot is probably the type you would use, but if you find that as you turn the brightness up from minimum that you use too much of the pot's range getting to halfway bright, and from there to fully bright is just a small amount of turning, then an inverse log taper might be better. (just an example)

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; September 29th, 2021 at 08:16 AM.

Old September 29th, 2021, 12:07 PM   #61
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

wow... how things change over time ! I built the HW-101 Ham radio from heathkit many years ago, a tube and transistor 100 watt transceiver....
now everything is printed circuit boards and little dots on it that I can't tell what they are ! LOL.... if ya snooze ya loose ! HAHAHAHA
Bob......

Old September 29th, 2021, 12:34 PM   #62
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
wow... how things change over time ! I built the HW-101 Ham radio from heathkit many years ago, a tube and transistor 100 watt transceiver....
now everything is printed circuit boards and little dots on it that I can't tell what they are ! LOL.... if ya snooze ya loose ! HAHAHAHA
Bob......
Log taper pots are as old at pots. I have a box of them from the 1950s and it has linear and log taper pots in it. If you try to use a linear pot for a radio volume control it gets loud at low settings, and the last 1/2 of the pot's rotation does almost nothing more.

The link I posted above explains the codes that tell you which type of pot is without having to use a meter on it to find out.

Old September 29th, 2021, 02:31 PM   #63
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

interesting ! in my days that sort of reaction is not getting the right Pot for the job ! LOL....I used linier wound pots mostly as their what was supplied with most of the kits I got. I built a 555ic timer chip into a 757 ic amp chip to make a audio amplifier for CW work with a real tight filter in it... put it in a box and all that good stuff and used it for years on CW.... Morse code was my thing back then. But sense I didn't add any protection circuits to it I found out years later it damaged my hearing.... anything at around 1000hz is way down in hearing for me .... and I told the Doc I know what did that ! but sense I am hard of hearing on every scale now it really doesn't matter that much ! HAHAHAHA
(too many motorcycles with no mufflers ! ) that boom you hear from the exhaust covers a very large spectrum and the talking frequency is in that !
so I say "What?" alot now ! if it wasn't for my Wife I'd have to have hearing aids ! .... she is my interpreter LOL....
Forest M. Mims was the best Author for electronic projects back then....
Radio shack carried his books.... I had dozens !
...then I got into Gyrocopters and never looked back ! only flew mine 1' off the ground once.... but had fun rebuilding the gyro 3 times !
later !
Bob....

Old September 29th, 2021, 03:02 PM   #64
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Morse code was my thing back then.
Excellent! My father and I talked every morning by Morse Code until he got too old to do it. Wherever I was... working on a job in SC, back in MD where I grew up, or here in NC, we didn't miss more than a handful of days in 10 years. I enjoyed code very much. It got to where I was hearing the other guy talk to me rather than hearing dots and dashes.

Old September 29th, 2021, 05:15 PM   #65
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I got to Advanced in licenses, didn't make Extra because I can't write at 20wpm ! LOL.... my friends Don & Clint and I talked every night on 80m for about 5 years straight... they got me from barely 5 wpm to well over 20 wpm
I could copy 60 wpm in my head of normal conversations but doing DX where they do numbers and symbols all the time threw me for a loop ! HHAHAH
Jone Coffer was my teacher really... she was real sharp on everything !
now I would be lucky to copy 5 wpm LOL just because I haven't used it in years !
my favorite morse code was ..--.. LOL
i made an Iambic keyer and had a set of nice paddles and I could send at 60 wpm ... and yes at that speed you learn the sound of the letters not the dits and dahs ! I wonder if all that paddle time is the reason my right hand goes numb so fast when Riding ? LOL
those were the days..... unfortunately I lost 4 ham radios and all the electronic test goodies I had when the Ranch house burned down about 9 years ago... and 12 motorcycles ! ... everything but the gyrocopter !
tools included I now have a bunch of untempered tools ! lol.
( that is why I have been slowly replacing them all)
oh well, that's life... **** happens !
Bob........