devmasa
ninjette.org member

Name: devmasa

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2007 Ninja 250

robbed/carjacked at gun point (SoCal)

So heres how it went down:
The whole incident happened between 9- 10.30 p.m last night
Part 1 : Almost an accident
I went to buy this ninja 250 from a guy in Cerritos. Bike was in awesome condition (I had test ridden it twice before) So I take the freeway to head back home.I was doing ~65-70 mph and the motorcycle suddenly dies. The engine shuts downs and I am in the middle of the freeway.Almost got rear ended by the suv behind me.I somehow managed to get to the shoulder and called the previous owner for help.The guy comes over we try to start it again...with new gas etc..no luck.So I push the 250 to the nearest exit and start taking a closer look. It turned out that the battery died and couldn't start the motorcycle.So we jump start the motorcycle using his car (I didnt know of any better way) and it started and idled fine.So instead of taking the freeway I suggested taking the surface streets and the guy agreed to follow me home incase the battery died again.
All this while my wife was following us in her car.

Part 2 : The robbery/carjacking
The motorcycle worked fine for around 15 miles and then suddenly died again at a traffic light.
This is the exact location :
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hawtho...ed=0CBMQ8gEwAA

So we try to jump the battery again.I was standing with my wife talking to AAA about towing options when suddenly out of nowhere this guy comes out (male,black, around 6- 6.2 feet tall, hefty build) and starts talking to the previous ninja owner.
when I went closer to see what was happening,he was holding a gun through his sweatshirt asking the previous owner to get out of the car.Then he lines up all three of us ( previous owner,me and my wife) and starts asking for our wallets,phones etc with his gun pointed at us. He grabbed the other guys cell phone,my phone, my wallet and my wife's car keys. My wife smartly slipped her phone in my helmet to hide it.
The guy turns around,slaps the previous owner and takes off with his car and all our stuff.

We call 911 and the LAPD arrive after 20 mins
After all this was over, cops gone,my wife's car towed etc etc....I walk towards the ninja 250 to take the key and for the heck of it turn it on....and it started perfectly....irony.

PS: If anyone sees a silver toyota Rav4 with hockey team stickers on the back in the compton,hawthorne,,lawndale neighborhood please pm me.
devmasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Damn! Now that's a less than pleasing purchasing experience! Glad you came out of it OK...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

What a sack of sh*t - glad that everyone is okay, but I sure hope this guy gets caught. Though, I'm sure another stint in jail is no big deal for this type of character. I sure hate the idea of this guy having your info.. Great job staying calm in the situation.

Even the Ninja felt bad about it and decided to apologize.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
devmasa
ninjette.org member

In my 7 years in Los Angeles, nothing ever has come even remotely close to the incident last night.
And the location I mentioned is a pretty busy intersection. And many stores were still open/with customers etc when this happened.
Just bad timing and bad luck I guess
Yep, we are all glad that no one was hurt.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

wow, glad you weren't hurt. luckily nothing set the guy off to cause him to pull the trigger.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
wow, glad you weren't hurt. luckily nothing set the guy off to cause him to pull the trigger.
Yep, it was pretty tense.The guy was surely drunk and reeking of alcohol.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM   #7
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Damn! Now that's a less than pleasing purchasing experience! Glad you came out of it OK...
I think it was even worse of a selling experience for the previous owner.Poor guy

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by devmasa View Post
I think it was even worse of a selling experience for the previous owner.Poor guy
Dood that's horrible! I hope the cops find this guy.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #9
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Tough luck man. I'm glad that you are okay. You'd better find out what the real problem is with the bike, before you get stuck in a shady neighborhood again.

With it starting and dieing like that, it sounds like some type of fuel delivery issue. Possibly vapor lock. Are all of your hoses correctly connected and in good shape? Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? Is the Klein Air System removed, and was the tank improperly vented because of that? It could be the battery, so get it tested, but it seems to me that it would be more than just the battery.

Stay safe out there.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
With it starting and dieing like that, it sounds like some type of fuel delivery issue. Possibly vapor lock. Are all of your hoses correctly connected and in good shape? Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? Is the Klein Air System removed, and was the tank improperly vented because of that? It could be the battery, so get it tested, but it seems to me that it would be more than just the battery.
The bike is bone stock and in excellent shape.The bike was not ridden often..rarely actually...so my guess is that the battery lost it charge storing capacity somehow.But it is weird that the battery would die/lose charge after a good 15 mile ride.
what is vapor lock? I am not familiar with it.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
The bike is bone stock and in excellent shape.The bike was not ridden often..rarely actually...so my guess is that the battery lost it charge storing capacity somehow.But it is weird that the battery would die/lose charge after a good 15 mile ride.
what is vapor lock? I am not familiar with it.
It's the charging system dood. The battery sounds like it's ok (or at least was) but the bike's charging system isn't functioning optimally or at all.

In cars, the battery is more or less just used to start the car. After that it's all alternator. Might want to get the alt/rectifier on the bike looked at.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

WOW Dev, i'm so sorry you had to go through that...i literally work about 15 minutes from that area, i'll keep my eyes open. Glad you guys are ok, it could have ended in a much worse way.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Did you see the gun or was just poking through his sweater? and did you get a plate?

Sorry
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #14
tjkamper

If you bike is stock I doubt it is Vapor Lock, unless you have a damaged/plugged canister in the emissions equipment. Check the battery, if it is bad replace it, but like James said, it might not be a bad battery, but the charging system. What year is your bike?

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #15
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
It's the charging system dood. The battery sounds like it's ok (or at least was) but the bike's charging system isn't functioning optimally or at all.

In cars, the battery is more or less just used to start the car. After that it's all alternator. Might want to get the alt/rectifier on the bike looked at.
So I am going to take it to a motorcycle repair shop tommorow..what should I exactly ask them to look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
WOW Dev, i'm so sorry you had to go through that...i literally work about 15 minutes from that area, i'll keep my eyes open. Glad you guys are ok, it could have ended in a much worse way.
Thanks Blackwidow, didn't have a clue that neighborhood would be so dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs032 View Post
Did you see the gun or was just poking through his sweater? and did you get a plate?

Sorry
We didn't actually see the gun but there was something definitely solid in his hands under the sweatshirt. Could have been a piece of pipe,could have been a gun...I didnt think it was worth risking it.

Plate number? Actually the thug came on foot and stole the previous owners car

Quote:
If you bike is stock I doubt it is Vapor Lock, unless you have a damaged/plugged canister in the emissions equipment. Check the battery, if it is bad replace it, but like James said, it might not be a bad battery, but the charging system. What year is your bike?
So what exactly should I check to see if the charging system is bad? its a 2007 model

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

you should have turned into your wolverin persona and kicked the shyt out of him.

why did the idiot slap the previous owner? didn't anyone else see what was happening?

Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #17
blade
ninjette.org member

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

sorry to hear that ,scumbags like that need a fking beatdown ,glad everyones ok
blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Unbelievable, but glad all of you came out of it ok.

My 2007 died like that too and in my case the carbs needed to be sync'ed.

I hope it's a quick fix for you also!
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #19
tjkamper

Quote:
So what exactly should I check to see if the charging system is bad? its a 2007 model

First thing is first. Take your battery out and go to AutoZone, or any other major autoparts store, and have it tested. Hopefully it is your battery. If the battery is good, then it will be time for some serious detective work.

(Honestly, if the battery is good, I'd ask for a refund cuz the guy sold you a broken piece of machinery). In California there are lots of consumer protection laws, about buying new vehicles. I don't know about used/private party purchases though.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow, who knew buying a bike could be such an adventure. Glad to hear everyone is allright. Could have wound up worse if anyone tried to resist.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #21
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but glad to hear no one was hurt.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM   #22
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Unbelievable, but glad all of you came out of it ok.

My 2007 died like that too and in my case the carbs needed to be sync'ed.

I hope it's a quick fix for you also!
I kid you not....it is scary when the motorcycle dies on you while you and the surrounding traffic are going at 75~80 mph on the freeway. I wish there were emergency lights on the ninja 250.

Quote:
First thing is first. Take your battery out and go to AutoZone, or any other major autoparts store, and have it tested. Hopefully it is your battery. If the battery is good, then it will be time for some serious detective work.

(Honestly, if the battery is good, I'd ask for a refund cuz the guy sold you a broken piece of machinery). In California there are lots of consumer protection laws, about buying new vehicles. I don't know about used/private party purchases though.
I am going to take the battery to a parts unlimited store tommorow to check it and get a new one. The guy I spoke to also said that it might be a problem with the charging system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Wow, who knew buying a bike could be such an adventure. Glad to hear everyone is allright. Could have wound up worse if anyone tried to resist.
A couple of times it surely crossed my mind to whack him in the head with my helmet.But sanity prevailed and I it ended up much better because we didn't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
sorry to hear about that man, glad you and your wife are not physically hurt.. You guys doing okay from the trauma?
My wife was literally shaking when he approached her for her keys and wallet.
I guess we both are okay now. I am busy at work again..I guess the more we would think about it,the more frustrated we would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal but glad to hear no one was hurt.
Yep..thats we said when we got back home...no one was harmed and thats what counts above all the material stuff

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #23
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Also...another thing I noticed was that the motorcycle had no pull at all when I shifted to first gear from neutral.I had to rev very high and feather the clutch to get it moving slightly and then quickly shift to the 2nd gear.It ran fine from the 2nd gear onwards.
does this suggest anything?

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #24
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
I kid you not....it is scary when the motorcycle dies on you while you and the surrounding traffic are going at 75~80 mph on the freeway. I wish there were emergency lights on the ninja 250.
I know right?? I thought I was going to be run over a few times when my bike died in the middle of a super congested street at rush hour!! Still don't understand why most bikes don't have hazard lights..
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM   #25
AdreeN
ninjette.org member

Name: AD

Motorcycle(s): 250r

wow such bad luck
sorry to hear, but i'm glad you, your wife, and the previous owner were unhurt!
AdreeN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #26
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I know right?? I thought I was going to be run over a few times when my bike died in the middle of a super congested street at rush hour!! Still don't understand why most bikes don't have hazard lights..
Had that happen to me once and I vowed never to let it happen again.

I knew I moved from the L.A. area for a reason. Glad your ok devmasa.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM   #27
bigrodge8
Handsome Devil!!!

Name: Rodge

Motorcycle(s): 250R 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 Charcoal Silver

This is why I carry an SW40VE everywhere I go... Lets see how bad some tard likes 40 cal hollow points in his cranium!!! And for the record, I'm not a "gun nut", just a combat vet with no regard for the lives of idiots...
bigrodge8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #28
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrodge8 View Post
This is why I carry an SW40VE everywhere I go... Lets see how bad some tard likes 40 cal hollow points in his cranium!!! And for the record, I'm not a "gun nut", just a combat vet with no regard for the lives of idiots...
where do you conceal your SW40VE ?
I was opposed to guns before this. Last night's incident made me re-think my stand on it.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM   #29
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
I was opposed to guns before this. Last night's incident made me re-think my stand on it.
Sorry to hear what happened, but I'm glad everyone is alright.

I'm not opposed to guns, but in the situation you described, I think pulling out a gun would've escalated the situation out of control. It's terrible to be a victim but I think it's worse to be a dead victim.

Stay safe.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #30
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Most likely, this carjacker had been bullied as a child.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58647

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #31
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs032 View Post
Did you see the gun or was just poking through his sweater?
Could he have been happy to see you?

Seriously though, sorry to hear it.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM   #32
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

ouch... I used to live about 2 blocks from that intersection on Rosecrans... definitely a shady neighborhood.

When you see address numbers on the roofs of buildings, reconsider your situation!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM   #33
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Holy fu!k that's crazy man. If something like that happen to me I would sh!t all over the place.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM   #34
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

replace the battery and you should be good to go. These bikes rarely have true charging system issues. I've never heard of one at least.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #35
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca00 View Post
replace the battery and you should be good to go. These bikes rarely have true charging system issues. I've never heard of one at least.
Just put in a new Yuasa battery today...no luck.Motorcycle doesn't want to start.I am clueless now.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM   #36
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Why? What was the out come the other night? No one is hurt and a car is gone. If you had a gun on you what would have changed? Would you have shot him? If so what would you have to go through to stay out of jail/trouble, court days, the guy you shot taking you to court. There is always you shooting him and him shooting one of the people you were with. There is not one outcome that you having a gun makes the situation better. You did the right thing, shut up, give the guy what he wants and go on about your business.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM   #37
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Why? What was the out come the other night? No one is hurt and a car is gone. If you had a gun on you what would have changed? Would you have shot him? If so what would you have to go through to stay out of jail/trouble, court days, the guy you shot taking you to court. There is always you shooting him and him shooting one of the people you were with. There is not one outcome that you having a gun makes the situation better. You did the right thing, shut up, give the guy what he wants and go on about your business.
yes..you are right. The gun thought was probably an immediate rage/frustration outcome of the incident.I was angry about how helpless we all were in that situation.
Now when I think calmly about the whole incident, I am sure it wouldn't have really helped even if I had a weapon on me for all the reasons you mentioned above.

Old October 24th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #38
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
OMG, that sux so much a$$ man. :-( Full moon brings the crazies out in droves I guess. I'm so glad you guys are physically ok, but what a horrible experience!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #39
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Name: ion

Motorcycle(s): 2000 ninja 250r

Quote:
out of nowhere this guy comes out (male,black, around 6- 6.2 feet tall, hefty build) and starts talking to the previous ninja owner.
quoting from the office:
"why did it have to be the black guy..." always gotta be a story about a fellow brotha.

Old October 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #40
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu hayabusa View Post
quoting from the office:
"why did it have to be the black guy..." always gotta be a story about a fellow brotha.
+1

Wow that sounded like a ****** day. Glad you made it out unscathed. That is one of the things I don't like about riding bikes is that it is a bit easier for someone to try to antagonize you (though its not stopping me from riding and if someone gives me a chance I have just the weapon for them).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote