ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 10th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Question calling all Brits!

I just had to watch my beloved broncos on live streaming on my phone due to them not being televised where I live. The stream was from a British sports channel called skysports, and while watching I had the pleasure of seeing some of your UK commercials. One wad for a sauce called HP sauce. Looks delicious, kind of looks like or A1 sauce here in America. Any of you blokes now about this HP sauce, and is it good?
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

@akima @Joshorilla either of you try this stuff? I am a sauce guy and anytime I see something I haven't tried I want it

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
HP sauce is both very popular here and very tasty! I have an American friend who imports it because she likes it so much

I'm into my piri piri hot sauce right now! Goes really well on cheese on toast
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

I will have to see about getting some of both shipped over here. Is the HP anything like A1 sauce?

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I've not tried A1.

HP Sauce is often just called "brown sauce" over here. It's popular to put on burgers and hotdogs.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I've never been a fan of brown sauce, a lot of my mates like it on everything from fried chicken rolls to a full breakfast, I prefer a decent spicy tomato relish.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

HP Sauce or generically "Brown Sauce" is not like A1, kinda similar but miles apart, it's basically fermented fruit in vinegar with lots of molasses like sugar and herbs and spices, it works amazingly with thick cut sausages and eggs.

If you were really wanting to get some HP sauce, get a normal HP sauce, and a bottle of Daddies, different parts of England swear by either.

And while you're there get yourself some british Lea & Perrins and if you can get hold of some, my favorite is mushroom ketchup, I put it in every pie I make, any mixed beef etc for a salty full flavor.

EDIT: Oh! And the best of all the british spreads / sauces, Marmite.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
HP Sauce or generically "Brown Sauce" is not like A1, kinda similar but miles apart, it's basically fermented fruit in vinegar with lots of molasses like sugar and herbs and spices, it works amazingly with thick cut sausages and eggs.

If you were really wanting to get some HP sauce, get a normal HP sauce, and a bottle of Daddies, different parts of England swear by either.

And while you're there get yourself some british Lea & Perrins and if you can get hold of some, my favorite is mushroom ketchup, I put it in every pie I make, any mixed beef etc for a salty full flavor.

EDIT: Oh! And the best of all the british spreads / sauces, Marmite.
I grew up on the Lea & Perrins. Love that ****! just recently saw that it is made with fermented sardines, kind of wish i would have never known that, but still smother stuff with it anyways

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I grew up on the Lea & Perrins. Love that ****! just recently saw that it is made with fermented sardines, kind of wish i would have never known that, but still smother stuff with it anyways
American Lea & Perrins is made under license and to a different recipe to the original, my family tells me it's "wrong" lol.

I can't eat it as I am intolerant to sea-food, that's why I use mushroom ketchup as it does much the same thing.

Caesar salad sauce also has anchovies in it btw!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #10
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

I will have to try and order some of the good UK stuff then