ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Price of used 2008?

Here is something I'm kind of considering, it has a couple crappy cell phone pictures that don't show a single thing except a red bike, so just going by the description below. I did ask why the new tank which suggests it was far more than falling over while walking it around the yard, also no mention of the title. Asking price is $2850, my price probably around $2500 as the season is basically over here, and it has been dropped in some sort of fashion so I'll need to fix a few things. Description:

Don't want to sell but need to.
Great bike for beginner or for someone
Looking for an easy ride.
Only selling to get a bigger bike.
Bike is red ... No additions...
Down once when pushing through my backyard..
Brand new gas tank..two small cracks on left side.
Good looking bike..practically new around 2,400miles
Please feel free to ask any questions..thank you
Also I can send more pics

Hopefully this will not be too far from work so I won't have to waste too much time or fuel to take a look at it. Blue book on this would be about $2600 but it will need repair or body parts to get it into that price range. Where should I start assuming I have cash in hand and everything really is good except the mentioned cracks?
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

yea I call bull crap on the messed up tank from "walking it around in the yard". I dropped mine unloading it out of the pickup truck in my yard..not so much as a tiny scratch on the fairings..you could get an undamaged bike for 2800 so I wouldn't pay more than what you're thinking.
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

The other factor in this.... There is a brand new 2009 SE on the local showroom floor for $4100, again end of season I bet I can walk in with cash and get it for $3600 and have a warranty with it. I sat on it a few weeks ago when my brother was picking up his new to him KLR650, so I know it really exists. The 08 igniter issue is also kind of eating away in the back of my mind.

Maybe I should go a max of $2200 on the dropped 08 since it is very likely that the tank was wrecked in a slide at speed. Either that or the guy is a neat freak and decided to replace the tank because it was scratched. I'll give him a chance to explain what happened and maybe go look at it.

There is another about 45 minutes away that clearly says it was crashed and is listed for $1900, but the idiot doesn't check email and I haven't had a chance to call yet. I figure I would go between $1500 and $1800 for this other one if I can ride it to see if the frame is twisted. If the frame is true and I can rig the lights and mirrors to get me through the next month or so, I could care less if the body is a wreck, want to put on an Airtech and could ride it naked for the next month while I wait to order parts.

Both bikes have some kind of tires, but I consider them throw away items as I will definitely put some better shoes on before the IRC cause me to crash when I'm pushing it.

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Only thing I think when I read about how he dropped it is "did he drop in ON something?" Check that out, and lowball. Can't go wrong with that, and if he doesn't take a low enough offer but haggles, you've got something to go on. If he doesn't haggle, just tells you to leave, take that as a sign!

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Greg - good luck with that - I think that the bikes are consistently going above blue book - it is not the final say you know... last year when the bikes were selling for over 5k OTD due to lack of supply, the blue book was still where it is now - no one would sell for blue book... I realize things are not the same now, but folks won't want to take that much of a hit for the most part, dealers included
as for the tank damage, uit is possible to get damage from it just falling over... on my bike, the damage on the tank is from where she fell on the left side - if the wheel is turned and the handlebar gets caught under the bike, it can very easily slam into the tank and cause a dent - is that what happened in this guy's case, idk, but it IS possible

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #6
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

yeah, I seriously doubt you can get a brand new SE for $3600 OTD... even $4100 is a good price OTD, most of the prices I have seen are above 4.5k.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Check ebay, there is a dealer with 3 of them on the floor that says it is the out the door price (before taxes). I won't ever pay set up fees from a dealer, especially when the bikes are arriving completely built like most do now. Good dealers do not charge set up fees.
And so far the guy hasn't emailed me back, this is probably the forth bike I've asked questions about that hasn't gotten back to me. Going to call the cheaper, farther away one today and see what is up. And if I don't get something soon, won't be able to ride it and the price I'm willing to pay goes down a lot. If he gets back to me, I'm thinking $2200 to maybe $2500, if not then I walk away. It's not like life requires a bike.

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I just sent an email to the dealer asking what their out the door cash price was on the 09 SE, if I'm going to have to pay close to $3000 for a used machine, it makes no sense and might as well buy a brand new machine so I know it will be broken in properly and come with a warranty. And at $3000 I might be better off buying any number of the Ninja 500 that are listed, though that is starting to get back to the power over finesse method of riding.

And if nothing happens maybe I'll get a YZ80 engine and figure out how to put a generator coil in it and get my YSR back on the road with enough power to really make it fun!

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Blue book value is almost meaningless. It's a great way to make oneself perhaps feel better about the object they own.

For something to have value, you must have utility, scarcity, demand, and transferability.

If there is value, then what the value is must be determined from the market. The market/s used must be arm's length transactions.

Go see what people are actually willing to pay for something. That is the actual monetary value of an item.

Blue book? Ha!

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Finally got in touch with this guy and he said if the current deal falls through, he will take $2500. Got some guy trying to get a loan and he said it seems a little shaky.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #11
cochraneap
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750

I got my red 2008 in like new condition with 4k miles for $2600. At the same time, I also saw a SE 2009 in like new condition with 200 miles for $3000 obo and a black 2009 with 1k miles in like new condition for $3000 obo.

a 2008 with damage...I wouldn't pay more than $2000.
cochraneap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Wish I could take a journey, I like your prices much better. Made an offer on a decent 09 of $2800 but the guy wants $3500+ (actually two guys, I expect next month when they still have them my $2800 will look good, but since it will be too cold the offer will go down another couple hundred), it's very local and there is about 1 month left of riding up here so I don't know what he is thinking. I think $2500 is decent considering that the damage is said to be minor and the guy is still driving it. Need to go call about one (another 08) in much worse condition to see if it is still for sale, that one I'll offer up to $1800 if I can ride it home, less than $500 if it is damaged such that I can not ride it (if I even waste the gas to go look). The busted one would be best if it is mostly together since I won't feel bad about all the mods I want to do. The body is definitely trashed ($800+ for an Airtech), if the frame is OK and I can drive it naked for the ride home it will be a sale.