ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:45 AM   #1
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

to be young..........

So I sign up for Aerobics with Music class and you probably already guessed why I'm taking it. 98% are women and i'm one of the guys there. There is another guy there and I sat next to him during orientation because there was space and it was close enough to the door to leave. He begins telling me that he wants to figure out his schedule so he can get a job and then get a car. I then repled, Have you thought about getting a motorcycle? He replied back and said that its expensive and not beneficial. I'm thinking this guy is smart for taking this class but a complete moron.....

any thoughts?

Old September 1st, 2009, 01:34 AM   #2
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

LOL x)

make me tink of that music vid on m-tv with the dood in tights in the class with all those humping ladies... urr forgot the name, and didnt like the song, but did amuse.

regarding the guys comment, i would assume that when he considered a bike as an option, he went and looked at the biggest and most expensive bike (since bigger is better, right?) and decided it was more beneficial to spend that money towards a car. not realizing that big surprises do come in little packages as well

rofl~ well that's my rambling reply to this slightly random thread, ^_^
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

I read somewhere someone doing the math that, not including the cost of the vehicle, its about the same running cost, more gas vs tires etc.

I tried to find it but only found this: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Motorcycle_TCO

Also I wanted to say im just playing devils advocate here, I actually think the bike cost would be much cheaper in the long run. The bigger is better mentality is funny, would he not be able to settle on anything but a ferrari when choosing one of those to buy? obviously not.
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Nick, If you figure a Harley compared to a car: Insurance would be cheaper on the Harley. Depending on the car, gas would either be the same or less. My car gets 37 to 38mpg--about the same as a Harley. Cost: My car cost 13K. A Harley starts around there. I guess you could compare a Kawa Concours or a Honda Wing, or BMW. Now with a Ninjette, that`s entirely different. The bike is a bargain, gas milage is great, Insurance is cheap, and the fun factor is---What can I say? If I lived in a climate where we did not have snow and ice, I would not bother with a car. I would have a ninjette, and as a second "car," a Can-Am Spyder.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

There was a huge retarded thread on people arguing the cost of car ownership versus bike ownership about a month ago. Some people claim bikes are more expensive, while people (like myself) argued that cars are far more expensive, especially compared to a ninjette, where you can do most of the maintenance yourself and save a ton of money. Tires are a bogus argument. My dad goes through more Pirelli PZeros on his car than I could ever go through on my bike. Yea, those are 400 dollars a tire. No f'ing way someone could argue that performance tires on a bike is more expensive than performance tires on a car. If you would like to try, feel free. I will just shoot you down like I did the other guy.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think this is the thread you're looking for. Tires are by no means a bogus argument. On most bikes that are ridden a good number of miles (15k+ miles/year), the tire cost may in fact be be larger than any other type of cost there is. We're fortunate on the ninjette that they can be easy on tires if ridden gently; thank our very moderate amount of torque for that benefit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Snoman13
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post

make me tink of that music vid on m-tv with the dood in tights in the class with all those humping ladies... urr forgot the name, and didnt like the song, but did amuse.
Everytime someone mentions this song/ I hear it, it's stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

Oh, and enjoy the video

Link to original page on YouTube.

Snoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #8
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

carpool!, a carpool sticker on a car is worth 3-5k more.

this guy was selling fake carpool stickers for 10k and he got busted.

People will pay 10k for a carpool sticker!

We don't need know stinking carpool stickers on our bikes

and I love Lane Sharing! Some states are against it but I love it.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Buying and operating a cheap beater car has got to be cheaper than buying and operating any motorcycle, even our 250s. Tires on an economobile can last 30-40,000 miles. My rear on the Ninja lasts about 7,000 (and it costs more that cheapy econo tires). Maintenance intervals on econo cars is roughly every 25,000 miles. It's 7,500 miles on the Ninja.

My car is not an econo car, though, and worthy tires cost more for the car than the bike (plus x4 instead of x2)...and last about 20,000 miles. And my gas mileage is about 18 mpg. So operating the Ninja versus the GTO, the Ninja is most likely cheaper.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

This is one of those "it depends" kinda things....where the context of the situation heavily weighs in on whether or not a bike will actually be cheaper than a car. The ninjette is a VERY cheap vehicle to operate, not only because of it's incredible fuel efficiency and low sticker price (used, pre-gen, mind you), but also because of it's rock solid reliability and mechanical simplicity.

Even an econo-box costs quite a bit to have serviced, depending on what needs to be done. Today's econo-box cars have all kinds of nifty features that can break and end up being a PITA to get fixed, and if you're talking about an old car....well that's even worse because those tend to require maintenance more regularly.

To the OP: not everyone is aware of how cheap it can potentially be to run a motorcycle, especially if the area you live in allows you to use one all year round, but then again it differs for everybody. On that note, I would like pics of this "aerobics" class of yours!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

Men who join these class are there to check out the babes in tights.......
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #12
coffeecandy
ninjette.org member

i'm doing this as a low impact exercise that my physical therapist says i need to continually do for the rest of my life.

Pictures...maybe lolol