Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - The One Time it’s a Good Idea to Lay ‘Er Down

The One Time it was Good Idea to Lay ‘Er Down

If you’ve been around motorcycles for a while it’s a good bet you’ll have encountered a rider who claimed to have had to “lay ‘er down” – deliberately crashing his or her bike on the theory that doing so helped to avoid more serious injury.

Generally, of course, this is an idiot theory. With the bike upright you at least have the opportunity to apply the brakes, or swerve, or, on very rare occasion, ride over/through an obstacle. Throw yourself from the vehicle, however, and you simply become a moving object with little to no control over where you end up.

Ask any advanced riding coach in the land and he or she will tell you that the “lay ‘er down” technique only makes sense in movies. However, this past weekend, a rider in England may have finally had a legitimate reason for doing it: to avoid a collapsing bridge.

It happened on the M20 motorway (freeway, in American lingo), south of London. A semi-truck carrying a large excavator struck a pedestrian bridge, causing it to collapse onto another truck following behind. At that same moment, a motorcyclist was riding alongside the second truck – so close to the incident that one witness said she initially thought the bridge had fallen on top of him.

But, in fact, according to other witnesses, he had just a split second to throw himself from his bike and slide underneath a small space between the fallen bridge and the roadway. His bike apparently hit the bridge and came to an immediate and unhappy stop, while he slid several feet down the motorway.

The rider was treated for broken or bruised ribs (news reports are conflicting on that point) but is otherwise expected to make a full recovery. No mention of gear was made in news items about the incident, but we’re guessing that if he only sustained rib injuries (it’s likely he would have been travelling upward of 70 mph when the incident happened) he would have been pretty well geared up.

We wish him a speedy recovery and commend him on now having a really bad-ass tale to tell.

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...

Old August 30th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #2
iNOSFERATUii
ninjette.org newbie

Name: DarqueStarr

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Honda Nighthawk 650; 2007 Ninja 250

"to ride through/over an obstacle" ... REALLY!?

So my son should have kept his bike upright and attempted to ride through/over the car that had just turned right into his direct line of path?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

Or perhaps I should have attempted to ride through/over the passenger side door/window of the vehicle that pulled out in front of me!?

Fortunately we both walked away with minor injuries from both of our minor accidents, better to walk away alive and live to ride another day than to attempt to ride through/over an obstacle and DIE, be decapitated, or cut in half!!!!

Sorry, but I'd much rather just lay 'er down than lay me down to sleep permanently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjette Newsbot View Post
The One Time it was Good Idea to Lay ‘Er Down

If you’ve been around motorcycles for a while it’s a good bet you’ll have encountered a rider who claimed to have had to “lay ‘er down” – deliberately crashing his or her bike on the theory that doing so helped to avoid more serious injury.

Generally, of course, this is an idiot theory. With the bike upright you at least have the opportunity to apply the brakes, or swerve, or, on very rare occasion, ride over/through an obstacle. Throw yourself from the vehicle, however, and you simply become a moving object with little to no control over where you end up.

Ask any advanced riding coach in the land and he or she will tell you that the “lay ‘er down” technique only makes sense in movies. However, this past weekend, a rider in England may have finally had a legitimate reason for doing it: to avoid a collapsing bridge.

It happened on the M20 motorway (freeway, in American lingo), south of London. A semi-truck carrying a large excavator struck a pedestrian bridge, causing it to collapse onto another truck following behind. At that same moment, a motorcyclist was riding alongside the second truck – so close to the incident that one witness said she initially thought the bridge had fallen on top of him.

But, in fact, according to other witnesses, he had just a split second to throw himself from his bike and slide underneath a small space between the fallen bridge and the roadway. His bike apparently hit the bridge and came to an immediate and unhappy stop, while he slid several feet down the motorway.

The rider was treated for broken or bruised ribs (news reports are conflicting on that point) but is otherwise expected to make a full recovery. No mention of gear was made in news items about the incident, but we’re guessing that if he only sustained rib injuries (it’s likely he would have been travelling upward of 70 mph when the incident happened) he would have been pretty well geared up.

We wish him a speedy recovery and commend him on now having a really bad-ass tale to tell.

More from RideApart:
*****Related Stories

Click here for full story...
iNOSFERATUii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Did laying the bike down keep you from hitting the car?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #4
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
the point of keeping it upright is to maintain control and brake/swerve.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 30th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #5
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNOSFERATUii View Post
So my son should have kept his bike upright and attempted to ride through/over the car that had just turned right into his direct line of path?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

Or perhaps I should have attempted to ride through/over the passenger side door/window of the vehicle that pulled out in front of me!?

Fortunately we both walked away with minor injuries from both of our minor accidents, better to walk away alive and live to ride another day than to attempt to ride through/over an obstacle and DIE, be decapitated, or cut in half!!!!

Sorry, but I'd much rather just lay 'er down than lay me down to sleep permanently!

Quote:
Your tires and brakes are more effective at slowing you down then your leathers. We all know that "had to lay it down" is just a euphemism for grabed a fist full of brake and lost control.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
You will ALWAYS slide farther and longer than you can brake.

It's a physics thing.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I think in the Brit rider's case, he laid it down because no amout of braking or steering would have prevented him from hitting the beam. Better to slide under it than smack into it face-on. Also realize he probably had less than a second to react. He was lucky that the beam didn't fall flush with the pavement.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #8
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I actually locked up the rear, dumped it and slid under the semi that pulled out in front of me. My face would have been in the side of the trailer, one of those rare cases.

Could I have stopped, maybe. I was new, ground was wet (in front of a truck stop even...) and it worked, but it most likely was the wrong thing to do.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
I actually locked up the rear, dumped it and slid under the semi that pulled out in front of me. My face would have been in the side of the trailer, one of those rare cases.

Could I have stopped, maybe. I was new, ground was wet (in front of a truck stop even...) and it worked, but it most likely was the wrong thing to do.
My moms coworker did this on the way to work. The dump truck didn't even know he ran over someone, drug his body and literally shredded him underneath the truck for miles into New Orleans before another car stopped.

It's hit or miss
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Your tires and brakes are more effective at slowing you down then your leathers. We all know that "had to lay it down" is just a euphemism for grabed a fist full of brake and lost control.
I always see it as jumping on the rear brake, locking it, and trying to turn away from the impending impact - resulting in a low-side slide-out.

It's what happens if you are not interested in using the front brake to stop you because you know it will flip you over and kill ya.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Everyone should practice extreme stops on a safe, deserted road once in a while. With good tires, it doesn't matter whether you use the rear brake or not, since the front brake will make it do a stoppie and raise the rear wheel off the ground anyway.

With the Kenda front tire that was on mine when I bought it, the front would skid before I could do a stoppie, but after I put the BT45s on, it stops much better.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.