ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 18th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #1
BoKing
ninjette.org member

Name: Bo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Bike fell over (again lmao) and won't turn over

About a month ago I posted about my bike falling kickstand-side in, in the mud. You guys have been my go-to advice people for a few years now regarding this bike and your advice helped me get it back up and going so thank you.

Just arrived at my girlfriend's house and my normal guest parking spot was taken, so I parked it in some loose gravel around a corner. Girl suggested I go back out and move it closer yadda yadda, so when I went back out it had fallen over the opposite side of the kickstand (onto its right side). I don't think anyone pushed it or anything, it had been out there for less than 2 mins before I went back out.

Anyways, I wasn't able to start it. All the electronics seemed to work, and it would attempt to turn over, but it didn't actually turn over when I cranked it.

What are the first things I should look at?

It spilled a bit of gas out when it tipped, as I could smell it, and there was a small puddle, and bit got on my hands. Not sure if that helps at all but it's more information.

I appreciate your guys' advice!
BoKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKing View Post
.......... Anyways, I wasn't able to start it. All the electronics seemed to work, and it would attempt to turn over, but it didn't actually turn over when I cranked it.

What are the first things I should look at?........
The bowls of the carbs may be dry and it takes some cranking to create the vacuum that opens the flow through the petcock.

In order to save the battery, you could apply mouth vacuum to the proper port of the petcock until the bowls get refilled.

If you see fuel overflowing, then the floats are out of position and not keeping the proper level.
In that case some tapping with the handle of a screwdriver may help resetting those to close the valve.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
In order to save the battery, you could apply mouth vacuum to the proper port of the petcock until the bowls get refilled.
Make sure your friends read this if you try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Help-Someone-...lowed-Gasoline
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Make sure your friends read this if you try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Help-Someone-...lowed-Gasoline
Lol, there's no way to get gasoline through the vacuum port on your petcock. If it did go through there, the bike would be running terribly because there would be unmetered gas entering through the vacuum lines.

The vacuum nipple is just there to operate the valve inside your Petcock.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #5
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Lol, there's no way to get gasoline through the vacuum port on your petcock. If it did go through there, the bike would be running terribly because there would be unmetered gas entering through the vacuum lines.

The vacuum nipple is just there to operate the valve inside your Petcock.

I originally read that and interpreted it as him saying to suck on the main fuel line of the petcock but that wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't fill the bowls of the carbs because you'd need to disconnect it from the carbs in order to do that.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKing View Post
All the electronics seemed to work, and it would attempt to turn over, but it didn't actually turn over when I cranked it.

What are the first things I should look at?

I appreciate your guys' advice!
Sounds like it hydrauliced (filled the cylinder with gas), pull the spark plugs and try turning it over. If it's sat for a while by now, it may have leaked the gas in the cylinder past the rings (into the oil) and will turn over (time to change the oil). Don't try to push start as it could bend the connecting rod if it's still hydrauliced, best to pull the spark plugs.
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote