Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #1
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Gratten - who's going?

Hi there.

I want to check out Grattan rather soon.
I know they have lots of track days, but I've never been to one on a bike and on that track.

I was hoping to find a few folks on here that I could meet over there.
Should be fun racing some 250s

Let me know,
Tom

//edit: DAMN IT, how do you change the thread title???
TmP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

You can do Grattan with sportbiketracktime.com They also offer Gingerman Raceway which is really close to South Haven there in Michigan. If you dont mind a little driving theres also Autobahn in Joliet IL and Blackhawk just north of Rockford IL, Putnam Park is in IN west of Indy.

All of the above are tracks that I ride.

Ill be doing Gingerman this weekend. (sorry, but its sold out) then again on Aug 14th-15th
Putnam on the 25th of july, Grattan on july 31-aug 1 and then again in Sept 4-5 then Blackhawk on the 12th of sept

Those are the dates Im planning on so far.
there might be another round at autobahn but Im not sure on that yet. Weather dictates trackdays after mid Sept

If you are planning any dates at any other tracks let me know. Ill bust out the 250 for anywhere but Grattan as soon as you get bumped to I-group

Not that the 250 isnt any good at Grattan. Works great there and is awesome to learn on. Ive got a 600 I ride at Grattan cause of the 3000 + foot straight.
Rearsets, at the least would be a good idea, theres a couple spots at grattan where I scrape my toes WITH the rearsets installed on my 250.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #3
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Question:

I'm still on RCIs, does it even make sense to take those to the track or will I regret it?
For 90% of street riding they are just fine, so I'm thinking about wearing them out, but then again... I'd love to throw some real rubber on there right now

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I would ditch the IRC's PRONTO.
If budget dictates of course......If your riding Novice they will be OK as long as you take it easy in the open session at the end of the day.
As speeds build, your WAY better off to get a GOOD set of rubber. BT's or even the sport demons will be alot more comfortable and sticky as your speed picks up.

I would remove the *** on the bottom of your stock rearsets. It will freak you out the first time you drag them. Otherwise Woodcraft rearsets would be nice if you have the cash.

I signed up for Gingerman on the 12th and 13th of June. you cant beat $220 for the whole weekend. add that to my list of upcoming track days.
You planning on going to Grattan the weekend of the 4th of June??

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

The earliest I can do Grattan is probably mid-end June...

I scrape the peg **** on freeway ramps, so I'm cool with that, but I'd like to ditch them so I ground half the pegs off LOL Had it on my super moto like that. Always fun to show to ppl at cruise nights

Rear sets are on my shopping list, as well as BT-003s.
But I want to feel like I deserve them... so until half the stock pegs are gone, they are gonna stay!
With the tires it's just me hating waste... I don't want to ditch perfectly good and round 2700 mile old tires :/

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6
DarkStar
ninjette.org member

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I've been looking into this since i bought my bike and let the dream die ... and now (with a little of tom and other daves help) im thinking of it again. My 250 will be all stock but it seems to be a good place to learn and something i need to try atleast once. However, sportbiketracktime.com lists gear recs and It doesnt sound like im that close Being novice can i get away without full race suit etc? I have looked up alot of other track recs and they are all different. My riding gear is nice but its not race track nice ... ... So any recomendations for gloves , boots and suit that wouldnt break the break. Also im tall and skinny ... Doesnt work well for cloths in general but its even worse for motorcycle gear. Ive seen some areas do rentals .., do they do this at grattan ? (website didnt list but some of the promotions seem to mention it ... ) SO I guess Tom when i get this crap figured out youll know if im in or out .. we still have to meet up as you missed the last ride to hell ... one of these days hopefully sooner then later we will catch up.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
almost40

Gear requirements at STT arent that bad for novice group. Most of it is stuff you should have ANYWAY.
There are anywhere from 6-10 sub groups in novice. Everything from slow as Hell, to Fast as Hell. (if you have never been on a track before) You WILL fit in somewhere. STT also allows you to move up or down in novice if you feel the group is to fast or slow. Instruction is excellent and helpful and if your having an issue just ask. There is no stupid question. The above sub groups are 4-8 people per instructor and there is a classroom meeting inbetween every session. You WILL learn and you WILL become addicted.

As for gear in novice Textile stuff is just fine. You dont need leather.(in novice) The pants and jacket must zip together but it doesnt have to be a full suit. Gauntlet style leather gloves and leather boots (work boots are OK) are about all you need. Check the STT web site again and read it carefully as its been a while since I was in novice.
They rent leathers ($75) if you need em. Tire service is at every event. If you want new rubber for your 250 the best bet is to buy them and bring em with you. they will install them on your rims for $20 each. (you must pull the rims off the bike so bring your tools and stands)
If your coming to an STT event that ill be at, look me up. Ill most likely be riding the only FZ-6 frankenstein bike, pitted with a maroon R6.

TMP I would suggest the BT-16s as they last ALOT longer and give superb grip. The 003's are great tires but I think overkill until you run I group.

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #8
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

I only buy top of the line.
5 bucks more or less for tires... who cares.

I've got a 2 piece leather, turtle shell, boots, gloves and helmet (d'oh).
I think I'm gonna be fine. Man I'm looking forward to this!!!

This summer shapes up to be the best one of my life so far!!!
Bike Track days
Waterford Track days
AutoX
MIROC
Drag Racing
Drifting
Shooting Range fun
Maybe a boat or a jet ski... we'll see about that.

Oh, and my first born is on the way

Gonna be gooood!

//edit: Oh, and my band is going to open for OBITUARY!!!
Aaaand I'll get my first hand made guitar.

What a year

Old May 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Have fun!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 05:04 AM   #10
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Ok, checked my schedule.

I have Grattan on my calendar for July 5th.
Can't do this weekend, don't have tires yet...