ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Brake light modulator with LED light?

Last night I instaleld my FDB intergrated LED tail light and now my Rear Alert brake light modulator I have only works the first time the brakes are applied after starting the bike. After the first time the brake light just comes on and no longer flashes. If I turn the bike off and turn the bike back on again then the modulator does work again but only once.

Anyone know what the issue may be and how to possibly get my modulator working again?
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #2
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Every time you stop, flick the kill switch to reset the modulator?
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
does it have to be off for a certain amount of time before it flashes? for example that way when you're riding and you stop, it flashes, but if you're at a stop light it won't modulate at the person behind you every time that you creep forward 6 inches?

Try waiting like 15 seconds or something before pulling the brake lever again?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
does it have to be off for a certain amount of time before it flashes?
Actually I just went out and tried it and it works again right away when you turn the bike off and back on again. It also seems to flash a couple of times (although not the usual amount of flashes) while the bike's electric (or engine) is on and the brake hasn't been applied for about a minute or two. It's almost like it needs time to build up more power or something although LEDs actually draw less power?

I'm undedcided but this only modulating after the brake light has been off for a minute or two MIGHT be better IMO. If a cager is following you and gets used to the tail light for awhile then the modulating will wake them up when you come to a stop. But if you apply the brakes again soon after it won't flash and become annoying. Plus if you really need to get someone's attention right after it already modulated you can always flash the lights on your own. Just an idea anyway, still interested in an explanation on what may be causing this.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I'm not familiar with the RearAlert, and can't find any info on it either (strange), but usually they're programmable to where you can adjust the flash rate, the flash duration, and the time between braking required to initiate flashing.

But, you have the concept right, that's the point of it only flashing on the 'first braking.' On the flip side, if your modulator isn't designed to have the delay, it is rather strange. LED's require no charging of any kind, and if anything, are more 'instant-on' than the stock filament bulb.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The manufacturer of Rear Alert has gone out of business. The rear alert brake modulator was designed to work with incandescent bulbs. You may need to get one designed for both incandescent and LED operation. Signal Dynamics BackOFF Modulators
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote