ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Do I really need a battery tender?
Absolutely. You're tempting fate without one. 0 0%
Nope. Just buy a new battery if you ever need one. 3 18.75%
Why not? They're cheap and easy insurance. 12 75.00%
Other : See comments 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:18 PM   #1
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Do I really need a battery tender?

So I keep reading about everyone talking about battery tenders and I'm thinking to my self if I should go out and get one or if it's worth the expense and hassle. The question I have is do I really actually need one.

The longest my bike has gone without being ridden in the two and a half years that I have owned it is at most a little over 2 weeks. After that time the bike started right up with a little bit of choke.

I live in the California central valley and winter isn't super cold. As long as the temperature is between 40f and 100f I typically commute on the bike so it never gets "winterized". The bike is garage kept as long as I'm not at work.

I can only guess that the battery is the original that came in the bike in 2011 but I'm the third owner so I can't be 100% sure. I did buy the bike with only 8000 miles on it so I'm guessing it's original. At 30,000 miles the battery still cranks the starter just fine.

So with all of that being said, is a battery tender really necessary? I've never had a dead battery but will a tender extend the life of a battery? It just seems like more hassle to have to plug your bike in every day when you get home.

TL;DR > I ride a lot, in a temperate climate, even all winter. Do I really need a battery tender?
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM   #2
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Not if you ride a lot.

The factory battery in my 2009 FZ6 I bought in 2011 is still going strong. Gets, at the minimum, started and run every two weeks, if not ridden.

If ridden and/or run regularly, no need for a tender.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:18 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No, you don't need to plug it in every day. But if you don't ride for a few weeks, it's a pretty good idea.

You ride a lot right now. Can you guarantee that you will always do so?

Life happens. Work happens. One day you might suddenly realize that you've not ridden in several weeks and you don't know why... other things just came up.

Tenders are cheap insurance. So is fuel stabilizer. No reason not to.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM   #5
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

I love both of mine. Best thing ever

I installed mine so the hook up is under the back seat.
Pull into garage and plug em in like you would to charge a phone
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:41 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I agree, you don't need one if it's ridden regularly. The only time I use mine is when it's stored for winter or not ridden for a long time due to some other reason.

However, for $25, it's handy to have a charger that has output appropriate for a smaller bike battery. It can also be used to keep a car battery topped up, if you have one that doesn't get driven a lot (e.g. due to riding a bike most of the time).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #7
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I have battery tenders for all four of my bikes and my lawn tractor.

They aren't needed if you are riding your bike often, but stuff comes up and sometimes they have to sit for a while. Easy enough to just plug them in then rather then jump starting them after they have sat for a couple months.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #8
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

My bikes have never had a battery tender, I ride at least once a month even in the middle of winter which is more than sufficient to keep the battery in good condition.
If you were to lay the bike up for three or four months then yes it would help to have a tender connected.

Steve

Old July 25th, 2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have to agree with all the posts above. Very little need especially when you ride at least weekly. The answer to your second question about the battery lasting longer: In your case the battery will last just as long without the tender as with, but in my case, where I sometimes don't start the bike for a month or more between rides/track days (sad I know), it will help the battery last much longer. I have a factory security system with a blinking LED and a digital clock which will slowly drain the battery. Every time you allow the voltage to drop below fully charged the Acid part of your lead/acid battery will begin to eat into the lead part of the battery and over time will reduce the reserve cranking amps of the battery. Tenders keep the battery from having to use the chemical reactions to produce the additional charge and this keeps the plates and electrolytes in better shape longer!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

I ride enough during the summer months. During winter I simply pull the battery and store it. Never had issues with getting the vehicle restarted after a long duration unless the battery was going to be needing replacement regardless of charge.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #11
michvin
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

I don't ride in the winter, so I have it. Last winter I plugget it to the bike, but forgot to plug it into outlet. Discovered that after a month, but the bike started right away Found it useful, when alternator on my son's miata died, and we needed to charge his battery.
Do you have to have it? No, but since we are talking about <$30 expense here - why not?
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote