ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #1
OneWheelPeel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kara

Motorcycle(s): 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Replaced Tranny, now it won't shift?

I need some advice. Last year I bought a 1992 ex250 from a friend because he had completely destroyed the tranny. We took apart the engine, replaced all damaged components within the case from the pieces of metal from the shredded tranny, and put in another one from a parted out bike (fully functioning).

My ex put the bike back together and the engine starts up and sounds great, only problem is when you hold in the clutch you cannot shift at ALL. The shifter wont even move, it feels like there is resistance or something.

I'm thinking that something wasn't put back in right, considering my ex was working on two ex250's and they both have similar problems and won't shift now.

Any opinions are highly valued, I can't find a mechanic that will crack it open for less that $500, and that's what I paid for the bike.

Bike only has about 19K miles on it, if that is of any relevance. Does it sound like a clutch issue or shift forks or something totally different?

OLD TRANNY LOL

OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
FS: ninja 250 mint condition

The bike no longer shifts because it's so fast it only needs 1 gear. $2700 OBO
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
OneWheelPeel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
FS: ninja 250 mint condition

The bike no longer shifts because it's so fast it only needs 1 gear. $2700 OBO
hahah I literally just lol'd.

Old December 25th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Kara !!!

Yours is a difficult case: you need to decide whether or not investing more into this old bike.

Even if the problem is a simple assembly mistake, new gaskets and more than a few hours of labor will be needed.

Same happens if you rotate the rear tire by hand with the engine off?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
OneWheelPeel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Kara !!!

Yours is a difficult case: you need to decide whether or not investing more into this old bike.

Even if the problem is a simple assembly mistake, new gaskets and more than a few hours of labor will be needed.

Same happens if you rotate the rear tire by hand with the engine off?
I don't mind the amount of time involved, and gaskets won't be a problem. I'm kind of in a tight spot right now, I had my truck stolen and have been without a means of transportation since March, I had hope for my old beater chevy but it's looking like that POS is going to require way more money than it's worth. I'm due to go back to college in a few weeks and it's getting harder and harder to find rides to work.

I just want to know what the most likely culprit is, like maybe when the clutch was out he put the plates in wrong? or something? The bike can be rolled around, that's the only positive thing.

Old December 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I'm curious how it got into that shape in the first place. I'm guessing excessive clutchless shifting.

But as to the current problem, your shift change shaft is either not installed correctly or is binding. Could also be that your shift drum forks are not seated properly.

When reassembling the transmission, it doesn't just drop in place and there are a few tricks to get it in correctly. Its not that difficult, but your ex should have tested it prior to reassembly.

Whereabouts in Florida are you? Anywhere near Palm Beach? I might be able to help out.

Old December 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
OneWheelPeel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I'm curious how it got into that shape in the first place. I'm guessing excessive clutchless shifting.

But as to the current problem, your shift change shaft is either not installed correctly or is binding. Could also be that your shift drum forks are not seated properly.

When reassembling the transmission, it doesn't just drop in place and there are a few tricks to get it in correctly. Its not that difficult, but your ex should have tested it prior to reassembly.

Whereabouts in Florida are you? Anywhere near Palm Beach? I might be able to help out.

The previous owner was a show-off, he downshifted at too high of rpms and the gears locked together and the back tired locked up and it threw him

hmm, I'm pretty sure he just put it in, idk he did it when I was at work. I know they reassembled my bike's twin (same bike, newer year) a few times because they kept messing up stuff (like putting the shift forks in wrong), which is funny because the person helping him actually graduated from that motorcycle school in Orlando and supposedly did a lot of work on ninjas.

I'm actually about two hours north of you, in Brevard County.

Old December 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelPeel View Post
The previous owner was a show-off, he downshifted at too high of rpms and the gears locked together and the back tired locked up and it threw him

hmm, I'm pretty sure he just put it in, idk he did it when I was at work. I know they reassembled my bike's twin (same bike, newer year) a few times because they kept messing up stuff (like putting the shift forks in wrong), which is funny because the person helping him actually graduated from that motorcycle school in Orlando and supposedly did a lot of work on ninjas.

I'm actually about two hours north of you, in Brevard County.
Well, if you can remove the engine, and bring it to me without any oil or oil filter I can put it on my stand for you and should be able to take it apart and back together again in a couple of hours. Assuming there are no broken parts inside. You'll need new side cover gaskets, but you can put those on yourself afterwards.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.