ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Chain/Sprocket Questions

As the title states, I have a few questions about a chain/sprocket combo. Mostly because my chain is almost 6 years old and before i joined here last year i didn't do much upkeep on it. Since i joined last year i maintained it to the best that i could of but because of my previous lack of maintenance, it shows. I bought a JT 15T to replace and i read on here that if you're going to replace the sprocket(s), best to do the chain at the same time so it'll wear even. For the rear sprocket i'm still deciding whether a 43T or 44T. I'm leaning more towards the 44T tho. Input on that?

Second question. Been looking around on here for advice on chains. From my understanding, the X-Ring chain is better than the O-Ring chain. Since its what drives my bike, I'll go a step better. Been looking at the D.I.D. 520 Pro-Street VX2 X-Ring. I know its 106 links but that chain comes with the clip link master. What type is better? Clip or rivet? Or are they the same as long as they're both installed properly? Or can i use a master rivet type on that chain if i buy it separately?

Side note off main topic, I just had my bike inspected. The guy told me I'll need new rear pads soon. Since i was told on here, for lack of better terminology, to not use my rear brakes, I haven't used them since I joined here. Just the fronts. But the fronts are fine. Every time i searched for an answer, I couldn't quite find a straight one. But for the '08 ninjas, are the front and rear pads the same part number? Everywhere i looked they didn't have a drop down menu to select front/rear. If that's the case, I was just going to buy EBC Organic brake pads. They're ~$27 and I know I've searched and have seen that other people have used them as well. The fronts still have plenty of life left in them but when I replace them I plan on using those HH Sintered kind along with a Galfer SS line.
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Lightbulb

OK
Definitely change the chain with the sprockets.

X ring is a very good chain. The link does not matter as long as it is installed properly. I like the clip type. But if you have the tool. Go with the rivet type.

Yes 106 link

15/44 is good for a stock bike. If you are on flat ground or want better top end crushing the 43 is also good.
If you have modified the bike a lot then try the 43.

Now who ever told you not to use the rear break was wrong. Period.

The best stopping is done with both breaks. You need to practice panic stopping in a controlled environment. Like a parking lot or track. Be careful. But practice breaking will save your life.

The pads are not the same front to rear. At least I don't think they are. I could be wrong about that.

The racing I do is one mile and 1/4 mile straight line stuff. I don't have front breaks. I don't really need any except for 10 mph in the pit. But I can tell you that stopping from over 100 mph with rear breaks is no problem. The rear break is very effective.

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

I guess I'll get the X-Ring chain, 106 links, clip type. No biggie. I believe i'll go with the 43T rear then since the mods list is growing.

And i'm wrong. i pretty much only use the rear brake when i have to stop quickly. But i use the front brake at the same and slowly pull it harder so that i don't use the rear brake so much that it locks up. I guess i shouldn't say that i don't use it. Mostly I time it right so that when i come up to a stop light/sign that i downshift to an almost complete stop before i use the brakes.

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Pads are identical front/rear on the new-gen. But many people run the sintered HH+ ones on the front, and the organic versions on the rear. Same exact size/shape pads, but just different compounds. If the front pads still have some life on them and you want to upgrade them, some people move the front pads to the back, and put the new ones on the front.

Racer X is right. It's not about never using the rear brakes in any circumstance, it's more about knowing how not to misuse them and cause more harm than otherwise.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Pads are identical front/rear on the new-gen. But many people run the sintered HH+ ones on the front, and the organic versions on the rear. Same exact size/shape pads, but just different compounds. If the front pads still have some life on them and you want to upgrade them, some people move the front pads to the back, and put the new ones on the front.
Thanks @Alex. And yeah i read that somewhere about how people do that while searching. Not quite in the budget yet this month to buy the SS brake lines for the front because I'd do it at the same time. I have a few more necessary purchases before i can do that. Possibly next month or something. It is only May and riding season has just begun up here in Buffalo lol I'm just trying to replace a few parts that need some TLC. Along with a few extras within my spending limit lol

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Mid corner is about the only place to use the rear brake. Kevin Schwantz said he never touched the rear in his 500gp days. The rear wheel can be off the ground if you have good enough tires and brakes in a panic stop.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Hot.Damn.
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675, Ninja 250R

I hope no one minds I highjack the tread for a moment, I'm looking for a decent o ring chain but on a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a couple on eBay that look pretty good but not quite confident enough to pull the trigger.

Thanks and sorry for the tread jacking.
Hot.Damn. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot.Damn. View Post
I hope no one minds I highjack the tread for a moment, I'm looking for a decent o ring chain but on a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found a couple on eBay that look pretty good but not quite confident enough to pull the trigger.

Thanks and sorry for the tread jacking.
I may have a used but still in excellent condition 520 pitch x-ring chain I can sell to you. Actually, it's my girlfriends but Im pretty sure she is okay with selling it since we are moving and less junk to bring plus extra pocket money.

I believe the one we have is a D.I.D. PM me to remind me so I can ask her.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

What about type of rear sprocket? Like aluminum or steel? JT or Vortex? Pros/Cons?

Old May 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Steel everywhere so with proper maintenance it will last you for ever.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Id go steel unless your racing and need a little extra...... I like my Sunstar so far. It was made in japan and everything.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Anyone know where I can find a steel red rear sprocket then? Lol I can only find them in aluminum