ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

trade my 250r for 2008 zx6r

As the title says, Looks like I might have a chance to trade Nina for a zx6r.

Guy's a junior in college, getting married, and his Fiance wants a 2008+ 250r. He recently bought an R1, and no longer wants his zx6r. Willing to trade straight out! Sound too good to be true?

My bike (Nina):
not selling
Clean title
74xx miles (almost time for valve adjustment)
Cracked right and front fairing
stock

His zx6r:
priced @ $3500
salvage title
76xx miles
scratched but not cracked fairings, needs mirrors, tires
stock

I've been wanting a zx6r for quite a while, and currently saving up for one. Just don't want to get a brand new one (dealer fees and all the other stuff).

Think this is something i should jump on? I flagged his ad so no one else could contact him, although we pretty much agreed to make a deal (just didn't want to take any chances :P )
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

sounds like a good deal, but have someone run the vin and see why it is a salvage title
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

yupp, run that vin and do it! i could care less about being a salvage title. as long as its been repaired correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. From what I have heard the 2009 revamp of the zx6r was a big one. On top of that the 05/06 636 and zx-rr were comparable or better than the 07-08 models. Factor in a salvage title and that further hinders resale value. I really don't think you are getting much of a value trade up.

Plus don't the 07/08 models have some sort of engine problem? Not quite sure but I seem to remember reading something about on the kawi forums..

If you do do it make sure you check up on that salvage title. I would avoid anything with frame damage.

GL

EDIT: Engine problems might be just 07 and not 08. Still not 100% though, I'd look into it.
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

No on the deal. Salvage title is a MAJOR issue. Basically cut the value in 1/2. Your bike is worth $3500, his bike is worth is worth about $4,000-$4,500 in it's condition if the title was clean. But cut that in half and you can see that you're getting a bad deal.

Also, some insurance companies won't insure a salvaged titled bike, or they charge more for it.

You'll also have a hell of a time ever selling it. I used to sell bikes at a dealership and salvaged stuff is like having leprosy.

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM   #6
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I'd be interested to hear why it has a salvaged title.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Salvaged = no deal.

Its got a salvaged title for a reason
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:26 AM   #8
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Salvaged = no deal.

Its got a salvaged title for a reason
X2 .. that bike is worth next to nothing even repaired. The only market for a salvaged bike is person to person. Dealerships will laugh at you if you try to trade, and i think you can only carry liability on the bike.

Salvaged = deal breaker imho

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM   #9
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

kool kool. Preciate all the help guys.

Anyone know of any websites that give free VIN reports? :P

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
kool kool. Preciate all the help guys.

Anyone know of any websites that give free VIN reports? :P
govdmvrecords.com

nicb.org

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM   #11
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
X2 .. that bike is worth next to nothing even repaired. The only market for a salvaged bike is person to person. Dealerships will laugh at you if you try to trade, and i think you can only carry liability on the bike.

Salvaged = deal breaker imho
really?

my bike was considered total by the insurance company for a bent handle bar and a broken right rear set...no mechanical damage...no fairing damage...it has a salvage title now...fixed the bar and the rear set and you are saying you wouldn't buy the bike based on simply it having a salvage title?....that is pretty narrow minded....salvaged vehicles are not always pits....it all depends on the TYPE of damage involved
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM   #12
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
really?

my bike was considered total by the insurance company for a bent handle bar and a broken right rear set...no mechanical damage...no fairing damage...it has a salvage title now...fixed the bar and the rear set and you are saying you wouldn't buy the bike based on simply it having a salvage title?....that is pretty narrow minded....salvaged vehicles are not always pits....it all depends on the TYPE of damage involved
I'm sorry I can't change the market value on motorcycles for you. Salvaged tite = salvaged title.

as I stated .. try taking your bike somewhere to trade it in. I owned a salvaged title car, iv helped fix cars with a salvage title, i understand the process of inspections just to even get a salvaged title.

I don't control the market, your anger should be placed elsewhere rather than attacking me for stating the truth.

Further more he would be buying a used bike from someone he doesn't know, hasn't seen the repairs, or even knows if this this has been properly taken care of. If you don't mind taking a chance, sure buy a R titled bike.

Why would I suggest someone trading a bike that has a higher current market value for something that's worth less. It's common sense. He would be better off going to a dealership and trading in his current bike for a used or new bike if he were looking for a better sound investment. Lets face it if he decides to move on he will be better up on selling for a profit than a older bike, with more miles, thats R titled.

*Not sure if bikes are R titles, I'm just going by the common title type for cars that have been salvaged.*

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
really?

try and trade it in and you would be lucky to get 500 at a dealership.

Vehicles which carry a salvage title may not be driven on public roads in some states,[8] which impacts resale value.[7] Rebranding of the title is not permitted without having an inspection to verify that they meet all safety standards.[9] The inspection procedure may be complex,[4] and attempts to illegally circumvent the inspections are periodically reported.[10]
Industry standards followed by the National Automobile Dealers Association Appraisal Guides, Kelley Blue Book Market Report Official Guide, and the International Society of Automotive Appraisers devalue a motor vehicle that has a salvage title. Kelley Blue Book automatically rates any salvage vehicle as "poor" and does not value it at all.[11]
Title washing refers to transferring a vehicle's registration for the express purpose of removing a title brand.[12] The practice is legal, and practiced by the insurance companies themselves,[13] Title brands such as "salvage," "junk," and "rebuilt" are not standardized, and a vehicle which has such a designation may receive a clean title when registered in a different jurisdiction. Further, vehicles imported to or exported from the United States and Canada are issued a clean title, even if they have been involved in an accident. Other states have relatively lax inspection criteria to remove the salvage brand.[2]

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:25 PM   #14
trex
ninjette.org member

i agree with the pricing information there is nothing i can do about that and understand why a dealership would do that, that is not what i am concerned about, but let me ask you this...do you always assume that just because vehicle A sells for more than vehicle B that A is inherently better?... anyway i am not attacking you about pricing information...my qualm comes from your branding that a vehicle that carries a salvage title it is somehow automatically inferior to one that does not...yes salvage title = salvage title...but salvage title does not always = piece of **** as you seem to think it does...that is irrational thinking imo...i have found many a salvage vehicle in better shape and better taken care of then a non salvaged used vehicle....look the point is that regardless of salvage or not you MUST know the history of the vehicle before you take it on as your own...blindly stating that you would by a vehicle over another just because one has a salvage title and one doesnt without knowing either's history is just plain stupid

there is ALWAYS a way to remove the salvage portion from a vehicle's title in every state...you do it by proving proper repairs were made and the vehicle is in safe operating condition...as Jesse pointed out this can be in depth or very lax inspection....it is on you the buyer to make an informed decision...if the vehicle is sound mechanically and poses no dangers to operation then i would consider it....salvaged or not

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #15
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i agree with the pricing information there is nothing i can do about that and understand why a dealership would do that, that is not what i am concerned about, but let me ask you this...do you always assume that just because vehicle A sells for more than vehicle B that A is inherently better?... anyway i am not attacking you about pricing information...my qualm comes from your branding that a vehicle that carries a salvage title it is somehow automatically inferior to one that does not...that is irrational thinking imo...i have found many a salvage vehicle in better shape and better taken care of then a non salvaged used vehicle....look the point is that regardless of salvage or not you MUST know the history of the vehicle before you take it on as your own...blindly stating that you would by a vehicle over another just because one has a salvage title and one doesnt without knowing either's history is just plain stupid

there is ALWAYS a way to remove the salvage portion from a vehicle's title in every state...you do it by proving proper repairs were made and the vehicle is in safe operating condition...as Jesse pointed out this can be in depth or very lax inspection....it is on you the buyer to make an informed decision...if the vehicle is sound mechanically and poses no dangers to operation then i would consider it....salvaged or not
Where did I state that buy a reconstucted titled anything is buying an inferior vehicle. Again you are making assumptions based on the fact that I said " I WOULD NOT PERSONALLY BUY ONE " and as you obviously skimmed over the fact that I even stated " I OWNED A R TITLE CAR".To each their own, and if you feel you have to defend your reasons behind keeping your vehicle thats fine.

by the way .. removing the salvage portion from the title = more money spent than just keeping a bike thats worth more to begin with. Which was the original question. Lets face it he's not buying a $90,000 car or motorcycle that would be worth more down the line if he spent that money to have the reconstructed title removed.

Last time i looked into it in order to remove that it would require an entire new frame and a lot of inspections, paper work, and proving the bike was reconstructed properly. Not to even mention finding the place in the state he'd have to cart the bike off to just to have it inspected.

As for your question concerning the price of a vehicle as opposed to the other in value ... Yes, yes I do, especially when I do the research to show that its a certified vehicle and I wont run into any hidden past or shotty repair work. I would also rather own a vehicle thats worth thousands more down the line than the other just because I happend to save $1000 on the purchase. Really your compairing apples to oranges with that question instead of apples to apples, which again was his original question.

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #16
trex
ninjette.org member

as you said to each his own

if he finds that the bike is indeed sound then i think he should go for it...it all depends on WHAT caused the bike to have a salvage title...goes back to my original point that you have to find out what the damage was before you can truly condemn it...a bent handle bar and a broken set? or bent rods and busted seals?...that is going to be the deciding factor

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:51 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Umm, the problem with a salvage title is less that it cuts the value in half and more that it's not legal to register until you get it fully repaired and pay to have it inspected... right?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #18
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
as you said to each his own

if he finds that the bike is indeed sound then i think he should go for it...it all depends on WHAT caused the bike to have a salvage title...goes back to my original point that you have to find out what the damage was before you can truly condemn it...a bent handle bar and a broken set? or bent rods and busted seals?...that is going to be the deciding factor
Anything is worth what your willing to pay for it.

He stated a salvaged title, and I even went on to post saying and r title is the same as a salvaged title. This is not true.

A salvage title is applied when a vehicle has been deemed a total loss. It must go through a rebuild process and be re titled through a series of inspections. A salvage title gives the owner the right to sell it for parts or rebuild it. A reconstructed title is a vehicle that was once salvaged but has been rebuilt, inspected and granted a title.

If the bike in question is truely a "salvaged" title, you couldn't be street legal until you went through the reconstruction process.

Here's a good read on salvaged titles:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7277993_do-t...-vehicle_.html

From link:
"The term "salvage title" differs among states and some states interchangeably use the term "junk title." However, a salvage title refers to a vehicle that has sustained significant damage--equal to at least 50 percent of its value and sometimes 75 percent--and is no longer road worthy. In most states, a salvaged vehicle cannot be re-titled until all necessary repairs are made and the vehicle is inspected and deemed road-worthy. The word "salvage" will be prominently displayed on the new title to alert potential buyers of the vehicle's history."

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Salvaged titles are definitely treated differently from state to state. Here in California, it's not nearly as hard to get one registered as it seems to be in other states. But as been stated a few times in the thread, that type of title significantly affects the value of the bike.

Yes, this means that an experienced buyer who is confident they can accurately judge the existing / fixed damage, can in fact get a screaming deal on a salvage title bike. But that's pretty much the point. If it's not a screaming deal, and is only slightly discounted from a non-salvage title version of the same bike in the same condition, the pricing is way off and is not in the buyer's best interest.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

If it were me, I would sell the ninja and just buy a used zx6r.

Old March 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #21
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Umm, the problem with a salvage title is less that it cuts the value in half and more that it's not legal to register until you get it fully repaired and pay to have it inspected... right?
Once a car is deemed total, you can have the car repaired to have a rebuilt.salavge title. State will only issue that is the car is repaired to normal standings and safety standards. You can indeed insured a car with a salavge title. There are a TON of cars that are. If you couldn't drive a car once a title was rebuilt, why would they let you even do so?

Old March 31st, 2011, 02:14 PM   #22
trex
ninjette.org member

It is, however, getting easier and easier to deem a vehicle "totaled"...it is purely decided on by insurance companies and is very possible to have a vehicle sustain x amount of damage and insurance company 1 would consider it totaled and insurance company 2 would not

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM   #23
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgsx98 View Post
No on the deal. Salvage title is a MAJOR issue. Basically cut the value in 1/2. Your bike is worth $3500, his bike is worth is worth about $4,000-$4,500 in it's condition if the title was clean. But cut that in half and you can see that you're getting a bad deal.

Also, some insurance companies won't insure a salvaged titled bike, or they charge more for it.

You'll also have a hell of a time ever selling it. I used to sell bikes at a dealership and salvaged stuff is like having leprosy.
First off, the 2010 250r in question is worth no where near $3500. Its a used 250r with cosmetic damage and 7K miles. A fair price would be around $2500-$2700.

Second, the 08 ZX-6R would be worth about $4500 - $5000 if it was in pristine condition. But because it has a salvage title, needs new tires, and has plenty of cosmetic damage, I cant see that its worth more than $2000-$2500 (at most).

So both bikes are in the ballpark, value wise, however, I agree with the hassle of dealing with a salvage title and wouldnt do the trade per se.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #24
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
As the title says, Looks like I might have a chance to trade Nina for a zx6r.

Guy's a junior in college, getting married, and his Fiance wants a 2008+ 250r. He recently bought an R1, and no longer wants his zx6r. Willing to trade straight out! Sound too good to be true?

My bike (Nina):
not selling
Clean title
74xx miles (almost time for valve adjustment)
Cracked right and front fairing
stock

His zx6r:
priced @ $3500
salvage title
76xx miles
scratched but not cracked fairings, needs mirrors, tires
stock

I've been wanting a zx6r for quite a while, and currently saving up for one. Just don't want to get a brand new one (dealer fees and all the other stuff).

Think this is something i should jump on? I flagged his ad so no one else could contact him, although we pretty much agreed to make a deal (just didn't want to take any chances :P )
Ross,

His bike, if it was in flawaless condition would be worth $5K or likely less. Because of the salvage title, you gotta halfthe value - so now you are starting at $2500.00

No consider it needs new tires - thats is a MINIMUM $300 costs - more like $400 if you factor in shipping + mounting.

Next, two OEM mirrors for a ZX-6R are going to be a total of $120 provided you buy them at the cheapest place you can find online. $150 or more if you buy them at the dealer.

So you got a $2500 base price cause of the title and a MINIMUM of $500 needed to get road worthy. $2500-500 = $2000.00.

Now you factor in the scratched fairings... I havent priced fairings, but I imagine that fairings run close to at least $500.00. You may prefer to keep the fairings on the bike and not care about cosmetics, but that does in fact effect the value of the bike. So I would subtract $250-$500 for fairings. Now you got $2000 - $250 = $1750.00

Judging by the condition of the bike, it doesnt sound like its well taken care of. If it needs new tires, it most likely needs new brake pads at least. This will necessitate a bleeding of the brakes and a change of brake fluid. In addition, there a probably other little things that need to be looked after - Im certain that the 7500 mile service hasnt been performed on this bike.

My recommendation would be to offer this guy $1500.00 - $1800.00 for the bike and sell your 250r for $2500 elsewhere. Trust me, by the time you get theZX-6R road worthy, you will have more than $3K tied in to it.

Anyway, good luck. If you like the bike, go for it, but i wouldnt recommend a straight trade for your bike. Also, understand that you will need to spend a lot of effort and money to get the ZX-6R to a safe riding level.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM   #25
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

I love seeing these threads with American prices thrown around in them. As of last night, I noticed the CDN dollar was a bit higher than the US, yet I could probably sell my 2009 SE (perfect condition) for about $4000 (springtime prices are high). On the flip side, even a moderately cosmetically damaged 2008 ZX6 would probably go for $6-7k up here. We can't sell salvaged for road use in Ontario, but someone would sell for track for $4800+.

Enjoy your cheap bike prices

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM   #26
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Enjoy your cheap bike prices
It's depressing isn't it? Not only that, but our gas prices are WAY higher.

OP, I'd only buy this bike for track usage. That salvage title is probably more trouble than you're looking for.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #27
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for all the input guys, I definitely appreciate it!

I still haven't had a chance to meet up w/the guy and check out the bike. If it isn't one thing it's another. Thing is...he (Kevin) lives in Illinois, and bought the bike from a guy here in Missouri. He can't get the bike registered in Illinois because it has a salvage title. Kevin tried to get in touch with the guy he bought it from but has had no luck. All in all, i'll probably just wait and try to find another bike.

Just an update incase anyone was interested in knowing

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #28
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Just me but I dont think Id mess with it. Whole thing just makes my spider sense tingle. Might as well just sell your Ninja and with the money you have already saved up, just buy you a decent used zx with a good MO title.

Last futzed with by thurt88; April 5th, 2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Another thought and typos
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote