ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[tilted horizons] - Iron Butt Rally 2011 Begins

Today is the start of the 2011 edition of the Iron Butt Association's bi-annual Iron Butt Rally. The world's most determined (and sleep-deprived) motorcyclists will depart from the west coast of the...

(This is a content summary only; click on over to the Tilted Horizons website for the full post, links, photos & more!)

Click here for full story...

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I love following this event. A few friends are running it this year, and are doing well so far. For those that have never heard of the iron butt rally, it's a pretty interesting event. It happens every 2 years, attracts the top long-distance riders in the country (and some from overseas), and is terribly entertaining to follow.

Here is the main page for this year's rally, and it includes daily updates starting from 3 days prior to the start.

There is also a live spotwalla tracking app to follow a couple dozen riders as they traipse around the country.

The route this year is a bit of a classic. Started in Seattle, first checkpoint in NY, next in FL, finish near San Diego. To classify as a finisher, you need to have a documented receipt from all 48 contiguous states. For extra points, you can add in Alaska. For extra points, you can make it a 4 corners tour, which is key wet, tip of main, tip of washington, and bottom of california on mexico border. And - each state capital is worth a certain amount of additional points, more if the capitals are way out of the way from an optimal route. 3 riders were able to grab the Alaska bonus, and ended up riding 5700 miles in about 103 hours in order to make the first checkpoint. Unreal. The leader right now is also the guy who won the Cal24 I competed in a few weekends ago...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

From a few minutes ago:

spotwalla.jpg

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 25th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I doubt I'll ever have the skills to run the IBR. The toughest 2 rides I ever did with Teamstrange (a great LD riding group) was the Great Lakes Gold (2500 miles in 48 hours) and a 2000 mile trip in 36 hours (all on my 750 Nighthawk). If you ever get the chance to run a Minnesota 1000 (or any Saddlesore 1000) do it. Then think about doing it 11 days straight. Insanity. But fun!
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

This years route looks crazy. Good luck to all the riders.

I'd love to try a Saddle Sore 1000. But 11,000 miles in 11 days

All the contestents are special riders but two past finishers stand out in my book:

In 2003 Leon Begeman finished 12th on an EX250 and in 2005 Duke Dunsford finished 59th on his 250.

Quote:
When Lisa called out the name of the 12th-place rider, the whole room stood for the second time. The plaque went to Leon Begeman on the 250cc Ninja, who rode 11,186 miles in 11 days. It is the kind of effort that will live in the annals of endurance riding forever. I have rarely seen anything to compare to it. Confident to the end, Leon told me, "Now that I've seen what kind of rally Kneebone puts on, I can build a bike to beat it." I've known The Animal for more than ten years and I've learned this: Don't bet him anything you can't afford to lose.
Leon:

Duke:

Old June 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

One night left! Finishes up at 10 AM tomorrow in Ontario, CA. Should be a close finish... Here's a great video of a bunch of the riders trekking across a map in Legs 1 and 2:

Link to original page on YouTube.