Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
knowledge
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

250/Motorcycle rental in Hawaii

Hey guys,

I'm looking to vacation in Hawaii and would love to ride around the island with a bike. The problem is that I can only seem to find 600s or cruisers.

I love the 250 and don't think I need any more than that for the island. is there a rental place that I'm missing?

This video is actually what made me go for the area P quiet core and I've always wanted to ride that road since.

Hawaii's been my dream vacation for years, and I'd really appreciate it if you guys had any leads on a 250 rental.

Thanks in advance!

Peace & ride safe,
knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There are a bunch of Hawaii peeps on here. Head over to the group rides / local events forum and there are some threads full of locals that might be able to help you out.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Renting a decent bike is hard even here on the mainland... I been trying to find a decent bike to rent the weeks I go to Florida. The ONLY place to rent is EagleRider and they have just about nothing but harleys or fake harleys (eg. Honda Shadow) or the old man goldwings

Eaglerider does have 3 locations in Hawaii.. think that will be your only option.
Best of luck!!

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

I lived on the Big Island for over two years, our cars were torn to hell by the humidity and salt water. Seems like motorcycle maintenance would be quite difficult with everything trying to rust itself apart.

It cost ~$2000 to ship my parents' van from Seattle to Hilo. I'm sure most people wanting to ride a motorcycle in Hawaii want something sexy/fast or a moped. 250s don't seem like they'd be a good return-on-investment for Hawaii.

I asked a couple friends who still live there, they don't recall seeing any ~250cc bikes for rent. Online yields same results, Cruisers and 600cc+.

They might have some lower cc bikes in their lots, a call to the ones near where you're staying couldn't hurt.
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

There won't be any places that will rent a 250 here. I'd try craigslist.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

This thread is relevant to my interests.... I am going on holiday to San Francisco / Hawaii / Los Angeles next year in July and i've been considering renting a bike in Hawaii. If anybody does find a 250 ninja to rent in Hawaii let me know, I would be keen to see the difference between a factory european FI ninja and a carbed ninja! Although I will probably end up renting a Harley also, it seems more fitting
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #7
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

If you were planning to buy one i would definitely let you have mine. But having my ninja being my only mean of transportation i can't really lent it to anyone

Oh and, if you do ended up renting a bike, you would want to research a bit about local traffic patterns. It's not rare to get stuck in traffic for hours during peak time.

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

See about a supermoto/adventurer if you can, there should be some cool sights that would be better accessible with an off road capable machine.

The 250 will not be available to rent, nobody would make money renting one out as it's a niche machine. People either go for a scooter to haul their drunk ass around on holiday islands or a bigger machine to tour on.

You're on holiday, try something new
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #9
ColonelDibsies
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Well it's not our two fifty... But they aren't Harley's....
http://www.hiadv.com/
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #10
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

If you're going to the Big Island and enjoy snorkeling you should definitely go to Kapoho.

http://travelandtravails.com/traveli...nd-snorkeling/
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #11
knowledge
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry for the late reply - I thought I set it to e-mail me when...I'm currently in Maui and these roads are amazing! (In comparison to Toronto, at least).

I'd be alright with a dual-sport...as comfy as harleys are, I want to be able to lean a bit more.

Alex, if you think that the thread would be better off being moved, please feel free to.

If you guys know anyone on Maui who might be willing to rent theirs (seen a couple 250s around), please let me know! No accidents, don't intend to drag a knee or go all out on roads that I don't know.

I just really like tight & technical turns over sweepers, so a 600 would be overkill. Not to mention that a bike with more power than I need on roads that I don't know very well doesn't sound like too good of an idea.
knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

If you go to the Big Island, www.BigIslandMotorcycleCo.com has a 250 for rental.