ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit

Help Stop Missing Shifts in hard use - Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodk35_ex300.html

Not sure if you guys have heard of this product but I went ahead and ordered it since being on the track and experiencing some of this. I can account some of the miss shifts to driver mod use but there where a number of times during the course of the day where the bike actually downshifted out of the blue. Again I think some was rider mod issues (lazy shifts) but..... if this can help I am game. So if your in the same boat I will let you know how it works.

Improve lazy shifting - virtually eliminate missed shifts - virtually eliminate false neutrals - help prevent gearbox damage caused by missed shifts. I did get the ceramic bearing options as well.

Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

How did this work out; did it help?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Loadthis
ninjette.org member

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

Interested as well.
Loadthis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
How did I miss this for a month?

Old November 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Need one for the 250!

Old November 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Must be a 300 thing. I don't recall seeing these parts on the 250. Slipper clutch mechanism, I suppose.

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #7
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Must be a 300 thing. I don't recall seeing these parts on the 250. Slipper clutch mechanism, I suppose.
Those parts are used in almost every bike I've ever seen. The 250 uses a shift star but I cant find where detent arm is on the microfiche or service manual.

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Sorry for the late reply. I have yet to install the part as I have been busy getting the bike into full race trim. I have had one session since going GP shift which helped a lot and tells me some if not most of the issue is user related. With that said I still had the problem but much less probably because GP shift puts more force on the shifter than upward shifts. If I can I hope to have it in before my next event on the 16th of this month to provide real feedback.

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
Those parts are used in almost every bike I've ever seen. The 250 uses a shift star but I cant find where detent arm is on the microfiche or service manual.
I took a look at the 300 fiche. It looks like on the 300, they moved the gear cam to the opposite end of the shifter drum. I think that star is what you were referring the cam to.

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I took a look at the 300 fiche. It looks like on the 300, they moved the gear cam to the opposite end of the shifter drum. I think that star is what you were referring the cam to.
Ok, the cam is still going to ride against something that has some spring tension on it so your shift drum just doesn't spin freely.

Do you know the part number or where its located on the 250? I cant find it.

EDIT:

Think I found it. Looks like this plunger is what keeps the cam in place. I've had a few false neutrals, and it would be easy to test out different spring rates on the plunger to see if that helps with false neutrals.

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Ok, the cam is still going to ride against something that has some spring tension on it so your shift drum just doesn't spin freely.

Do you know the part number or where its located on the 250? I cant find it.

EDIT:

Think I found it. Looks like this plunger is what keeps the cam in place. I've had a few false neutrals, and it would be easy to test out different spring rates on the plunger to see if that helps with false neutrals.
Yep, you are correct.

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Loadthis
ninjette.org member

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

Looks like that is much easier to modify that changing the detent arm and spring on the 300.
Loadthis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Dmj_88
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): Many

anyone actually installed one of these yet?
Dmj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

I still have mine I am actually going to get this installed here shortly. I certainly hope it helps because the bike does like to pop out of gear in top gears if your shifts are not solid each time. Not fun on the track.

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #15
marc99
ninjette.org member

Name: marc

Motorcycle(s): Hodaka, fz750,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
I still have mine I am actually going to get this installed here shortly. I certainly hope it helps because the bike does like to pop out of gear in top gears if your shifts are not solid each time. Not fun on the track.
Ever get it installed?
marc99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #16
marc99
ninjette.org member

Shift kill duration

Factory Pro 300 Ninja Pro Shift Kit note:

If using a quickshifter, the shift kill duration must be right or it will not work as well as possible.

Try 60 ish in the lower gears and 45ish in the upper gears

Old July 25th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #17
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

I am interested in that because I have been dealing with the same problem but i have not quite understood where exactly it is installed on the bike... I guess it on top of the clutch basket or what ??

Old July 25th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #18
marc99
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
I am interested in that because I have been dealing with the same problem but i have not quite understood where exactly it is installed on the bike... I guess it on top of the clutch basket or what ??
The arm and spring are under the clutch basket - have to remove the clutch basket.

Marc

Old July 25th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #19
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

thank you Marc... if I order some other stuff too for my new engine project can you ship to Europe, Greece ??

Old July 25th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #20
DaveTheCanuck
Moo

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Interested but holy fack that's a lot of money for a little spring and bearing O_O

Maybe in a few months.

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #21
marc99
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheCanuck View Post
Interested but holy fack that's a lot of money for a little spring and bearing O_O
Maybe in a few months.
Price - well it kinda goes like this -

"They" make 1000's of simple non-bearing stock detent arms for pennies in Thailand and spit out piles of stock springs on million dollar CNC spring machines for a few more pennies.

We spent the time to develop the better product.

We manually make maybe 100 microbearing detent arms and, one by one, wind, trim, bend and trim each spring.

That's why it costs more. You can't just go down to the hardware store and find a specially formed torsion spring and the arms are made, one by one.

Thanks and sorry about the expense.

Marc Salvisberg

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #22
marc99
ninjette.org member

Quote:
thank you Marc... if I order some other stuff too for my new engine project can you ship to Europe, Greece ??
Most anything bought in the USA can be shipped to Greece. Thanks -

Old July 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #23
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

Be cautious of ordering anything expensive from Factory Pro as it seems that their customer service isn't the best. Check out my recent thread and experience. Factory Pro do make some good products though as I have their jet kit and it works awesome. However, the shift spring for the 250 is pretty bad.

Marc is only here because I linked him to my thread.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190389
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #24
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

To be honest I am watching the thread with the issue you had with the "blue" spring and I have to say that I am being a little "disappointed" in both of you...
of you Ninja for not having the patience of asking politely what could be done to overcome the non-neutral shifting and giving him a couple of days time to answer in detail, so that you would minimize any chances Marc might have had for "excuses" for not helping you out...if you had done that it is evident that he would be "punished" big time because people watch -a lot- and no matter if they participate or not... I have friends here in Greece who are watcing (mostly my) posts here but their english is not fluent enough as far as technical terms are concerned to write down some of their stuff... and they have been asking for my opinion about it... they take these "situations" very seriously and what's more, even if they don't get a clear picture, the word (that unfortunately sometimes can be totally misleading...) is spread like fire, if you know what I mean, Marc...
on the other hand I also believe that when running such an "international" business you ought to be patient with customer's hastiness and enthusiasm for something to work out of the box, which might turn out as rudeness when writing a "faceless" e-mail if it does not... and also have to "predict" that in some rare cases it just might not because someone might have some crapy rearsets or be riding with slippers or barefoot or whatever and need some special "treatment", so I find it "unprofessional" in a matter of speaking if any motorcycle business acts as a "bank" or insurance company...
it's this passion for motorcycles that has to bring us together and keep us inspired !!
So I can't misjudge Ninja for bringing out Marc's sloppy response (however let's not forget that we all can have some bad moments and it is what makes us human but we also have sometimes a chance to make up for it and that is something maybe you BOTH have to consider in my humble opinion...),in fact I am glad Ninja did, because I think it is imperative that we "protect" each other from potentially unpleasent situations...

But then again maybe against all odds, I choose to never judge a man as "crapy" if he makes such a crapy mistake once (or twice at the most since there are so many of us...) but it is up to Marc now to prove himself right by never repeating such a mistake and changing his attitude, because any customer can be important no matter how expensive an order they made, which country or continent from or if their language is not being expressed in a "proper" way...
I strongly believe that if you both try to "burry that hatchet" and invest your energy into learning from this "conflict", something good will come out of it... for all of us...

I am really sorry if expressing my opinion in that way is being offending to either of you, I hope you can see that I have not any such intention

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #25
marc99
ninjette.org member

Quote:
To be honest I am watching the thread with the issue you had with the "blue" spring and I have to say that I am being a little "disappointed" in both of you...
of you Ninja for not having the patience of asking politely what could be done to overcome the non-neutral shifting and giving him a couple of days time to answer in detail, so that you would minimize any chances Marc might have had for "excuses" for not helping you out...if you had done that it is evident that he would be "punished" big time because people watch -a lot- and no matter if they participate or not... I have friends here in Greece who are watcing (mostly my) posts here but their english is not fluent enough as far as technical terms are concerned to write down some of their stuff... and they have been asking for my opinion about it... they take these "situations" very seriously and what's more, even if they don't get a clear picture, the word (that unfortunately sometimes can be totally misleading...) is spread like fire, if you know what I mean, Marc...
on the other hand I also believe that when running such an "international" business you ought to be patient with customer's hastiness and enthusiasm for something to work out of the box, which might turn out as rudeness when writing a "faceless" e-mail if it does not... and also have to "predict" that in some rare cases it just might not because someone might have some crapy rearsets or be riding with slippers or barefoot or whatever and need some special "treatment", so I find it "unprofessional" in a matter of speaking if any motorcycle business acts as a "bank" or insurance company...
it's this passion for motorcycles that has to bring us together and keep us inspired !!
So I can't misjudge Ninja for bringing out Marc's sloppy response (however let's not forget that we all can have some bad moments and it is what makes us human but we also have sometimes a chance to make up for it and that is something maybe you BOTH have to consider in my humble opinion...),in fact I am glad Ninja did, because I think it is imperative that we "protect" each other from potentially unpleasent situations...

But then again maybe against all odds, I choose to never judge a man as "crapy" if he makes such a crapy mistake once (or twice at the most since there are so many of us...) but it is up to Marc now to prove himself right by never repeating such a mistake and changing his attitude, because any customer can be important no matter how expensive an order they made, which country or continent from or if their language is not being expressed in a "proper" way...
I strongly believe that if you both try to "burry that hatchet" and invest your energy into learning from this "conflict", something good will come out of it... for all of us...

I am really sorry if expressing my opinion in that way is being offending to either of you, I hope you can see that I have not any such intention
Hi -
I'm not offended - "old fat grampa" (as he's seen my pictures) has done many 1000's of tech calls and emails from neophytes to well known engine builders, racers and tuners. If I was rude and sarcastic, the industry would have figured it out in the last 35 years.
I'll help most anybody who wants to solve a problem.

But I can't fix everything.

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #26
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

Good post. I wasn't rude, but he probably thought I was because of my disappointment in his product so he replied rudely. I even complimented him on his jet kit but he continued to be rude. My last straw was in my thread as another chance, but again, he placed the blame on me saying that it's my rearsets, shoes, etc.. even though the stock spring worked fine, and threat to not make products for 250s. That was the final straw for me. His blue spring is useless and I threw it away. Will never order from him again.

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #27
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc99 View Post
Hi -
I'm not offended - "old fat grampa" (as he's seen my pictures) has done many 1000's of tech calls and emails from neophytes to well known engine builders, racers and tuners. If I was rude and sarcastic, the industry would have figured it out in the last 35 years.
I'll help most anybody who wants to solve a problem.

But I can't fix everything.
Yeah, I'm sure you're not rude to everyone. It's part of the business. You'll run into rude people and there are days when you're just in a bad mood. I wish there was a way to fix your spring but it's just a spring. I can understand technical problems with jet kits etc where you can actually help them out. You lost my business though. It seems when your product is bad, you don't want to hear about it and like to place blame.

Anyways, my last suggestion for you is, please update your website. It looks like it was made in the 1990's by a teenager. Wasn't for this forum I would've never ordered your jet kit with the way your website looks.

*edit* At least 1 thing good came out of this. Now you're on this forum which is one of the largest Ninja 250/300 forums on the Internet. Hopefully you can help members here and frequent from time to time.

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #28
marc99
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R123 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you're not rude to everyone. It's part of the business. You'll run into rude people and there are days when you're just in a bad mood. I wish there was a way to fix your spring but it's just a spring. I can understand technical problems with jet kits etc where you can actually help them out. You lost my business though. It seems when your product is bad, you don't want to hear about it and like to place blame.

Anyways, my last suggestion for you is, please update your website. It looks like it was made in the 1990's by a teenager. Wasn't for this forum I would've never ordered your jet kit with the way your website looks.

*edit* At least 1 thing good came out of this. Now you're on this forum which is one of the largest Ninja 250/300 forums on the Internet. Hopefully you can help members here and frequent from time to time.
I can't keep justifying that I was eating dinner at 8pm after working all day and I'd get back to you later. Somehow that's just not good enough for you.

Your rude comments simply make this forum an unenjoyable place to post - and while you can take credit for me joining, you can also take credit for the lack of future tech support volunteered. Maybe you say that it's my loss - but dealing with you on 2 different threads is two hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Signed, the guy you called old and fat,

Marc Salvisberg

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #29
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc99 View Post
I can't keep justifying that I was eating dinner at 8pm after working all day and I'd get back to you later. Somehow that's just not good enough for you.

Your rude comments simply make this forum an unenjoyable place to post - and while you can take credit for me joining, you can also take credit for the lack of future tech support volunteered. Maybe you say that it's my loss - but dealing with you on 2 different threads is two hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Signed, the guy you called old and fat,

Marc Salvisberg
Here's another shovel. Keep digging that hole grandpa.

Thats 2 hours and $35 Ill never get back.

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

"Ninja" is on a short break. No more TOS violations in this thread without consequences.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:38 PM   #31
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

So has anyone actually installed this mod yet? Interested to see if it made any difference.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #32
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
probably not pertinient to your ninja's, but I've installed on my '98 VFR800 at 20xxx miles, i've now got 36K. .
Due to wear on the original "star". An occasional pop out of gear and just general all around sloppy, notchy feel in shifting convinced me to give it a try.

The Factory Pro shift kit significantly eliminated slop and popping out. Darn if it doesn't do what is says. A more "manly" shift is now required (heavier duty spring).

Kudos to Marc@Factory Pro. IMHO...a worthwhile product that works as advertised and intended.

Contrary to what was previously posted, I have experienced customer service at its finest from Factory Pro. Their Ducati jet kits and nickel plated emulsion tubes are SOP for carbed Duc owners....quality products!

Last futzed with by ducatiman; April 26th, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:47 PM   #33
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
probably not pertinient to your ninja's, but I've installed on my '98 VFR800 with 20xxx miles.
Due to wear on the original "star". An occasional pop out of gear and just general all around sloppy, notchy feel in shifting convinced me to give it a try.

The Factory Pro shift kit significantly eliminated slop and popping out. Darn if it doesn't do what is says. A more "manly" shift is now required (heavier duty spring).

Kudos to Marc@Factory Pro. IMHO...a worthwhile product that works as advertised and intended.

Contrary to what was previously posted, I have experienced customer service at its finest from Factory Pro. Their Ducati jet kits and nickel plated emulsion tubes are SOP for carbed Duc owners....quality products!
Factory Pro has always made good products. Mine was probably a defective and he was having a bad day, as we all do. I have their jet kits and it works wonders.

Old April 25th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #34
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
Surferboy? Any updates?
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #35
jBazz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 300

I ordered this kit for my 300, but not looking forward to the install. I am assuming I will document the process since I can't find anyone that has any kind of write up. I usually do more homework BEFORE I order, but knew I wanted this fix.. so oh well.

Going to have to remove the clutch so, I will need a clutch gasket &liquid gasket.
Special tools? Manual calls for a Clutch Holder [C]: 57001-1243 tool which I don't have - Is this a must ?
Need moly grease too.

Does anyone out there have installation tips?
Thanks!
jBazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #36
Swann
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Jbazz,

I sympathize with you, I ordered one too and will be installing it in the 300 next year.

Last futzed with by Swann; November 7th, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #37
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Not relevant to the 300, but it this might help out the 250 owners.

Possible alternative for Factory Pro Blue Magic Shift Spring

Factory Pro Blue Magic Shift Spring

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #38
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

When I did the shift arm install on my 390 a few months ago it was a pretty straight forward process.

I did use my motion pro clutch basket holder and an impact to get the basket off.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000HS4NA8

Also needed a clutch cover gasket.

Old November 6th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #39
jBazz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 300

Thanks guys. I will take some photos or video when I do the 300. I believe I have all the parts and tools on hand or on order now.

Quote:
When I did the shift arm install on my 390 a few months ago it was a pretty straight forward process.

I did use my motion pro clutch basket holder and an impact to get the basket off.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000HS4NA8

Also needed a clutch cover gasket.
jBazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #40
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBazz View Post
Thanks guys. I will take some photos or video when I do the 300. I believe I have all the parts and tools on hand or on order now.
Looking forward to it. I've heard good things about their shift stars for other bikes. Hopefully your report won't buck the trend.