ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 11th, 2018, 04:39 PM   #1
saidgogogo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: christine

Motorcycle(s): EX250F

Unhappy new-to-me 07 250r dying at idle

Hi all! I got an 07 250r about a month and a half ago and have been (mostly) happily riding it in the city on my short commute to/from work.

(Technical details start here)

Today I was running some errands and about a mile into my ride (it's a pretty warm day but I still had to use the choke to get the engine started), I try to pull forward at an intersection and my engine stalls. I shake my head, think I must've been trying to start from 2nd gear, and try to restart my engine.

I had to use the choke even after the mile of city riding (lots of stop signs and stoplights), which is unusual (compared to the several times I did manage to stall out trying to start from 2nd gear). After about a block, when I pulled to a stop and tried to idle at a light, my engine died.

Shook my head again, tried the sequence again (choke, start, ride), but even as I opened the throttle, the engine... just slowed and died.

Fun caveat: a previous owner of this bike removed the tachometer, so I... have no useful RPM details to add to this post. Apologies!

(Also, here's... hoping I'm not just low on gas. Opening up the tank, I could definitely still see gas, but it's definitely "low" by any measure. Did I mention I'm way new to all of this?)

(Technical details stop here, mechanic advice-giving starts here)

I walked it half a mile to a motorcycle shop (past a snarky homeless guy, thanks dude) and the guy immediately started telling me that he'd be happy to take a look but that I shouldn't invest too much into "a bike like this." That it's not unusual for "one of these to take 10-15 minutes to warm up" and that I should just use it as my starter bike, then pass it off to someone else after a few months.

"10-15 minutes" seems... extreme (especially since I swear I read that the manual recommends "pushing the choke all the way back after riding for 15 seconds" at an ambient temperature of ~70 degrees). And it sucks to be told by someone who works on bikes that the 250r is a pain to deal with and I "shouldn't keep investing" in it.

Thoughts? And thanks!

("ninja 250 dies at idle" spits back tons of forum posts that recommend all sorts of work that sound fun if I was a gearhead but frankly sound fairly intimidating for someone new to all of this.)
saidgogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2018, 08:28 PM   #2
THusker
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Welcome!

Sounds like he is just trying to sell you something bigger.
What you have is a great little bike, that is easy to work on fun to ride.
Put a little more fuel in it and see what happens. On a 70 degree day with the carburetor clean and adjusted right the choke is only needed for 15- 20 seconds until the engine rpm's start to race above idle speed.
THusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2018, 06:25 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Easiest first step would be to completely drain the tank and refill with fresh gas. Run 87 octane. Any water or contaminants will be sitting in the bottom and drawn into the carbs.

Draining the floatbowls at the same time is a good idea as well.

Making adjustments to the idle mixture and idle speed may also be required. The caps need to be removed to do it, which may or may not have been done in the past.

Check that your air filter is clean and in good condition.

This section has a bunch of info to get you started - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

There are also other maintenance items that may need to be done like valve adjustments, carb sync, fluid change, etc. This section has all of that info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #4
saidgogogo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: christine

Motorcycle(s): EX250F

Awesome, this... sounds like a series of beginner maintenance tasks to get comfortable with doing. Thanks!
saidgogogo is offline   Reply With Quote