Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

"New" tire is three years old!

Date code on the new tire I just got delivered is 2509 -- about 3 years ago. I know other new tires I've bought were made the year I bought them. How important is this? And the tire looks old, it's discolored--maybe it's just dust, but... this is a GT501 I just bought from motorcycle superstore. Ordered yesterday morning and it came today!
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It's good that you're checking the date code, so many people don't do this. An international study has shown that 'new' tires with date codes of 6+ years are too old and dangerous for use. Numerous cases have been found where 'new' tires that were actually 6+ years old when bought had numerous failures with the treads catastrophically coming off. In that same study they had professional drivers in SUV's who were prepared for a blowout travel at highway speeds on a test track. When the tire did blow, the drivers were unable to maintain control despite being prepared for it to happen.

This type of thing has lead to deaths from tire blowouts on the highway. One such case was a father who had just put 'new' tires on his son's suv. His son and a friend were heading off to college. A few hundred miles later, one of the front tires blew out on the highway causing a fatal accident killing both.

In all the studies it was impossible to detect any flaws in the tires from visual examination. What was determined was that the rubber was too brittle and ended up breaking down while under pressure. In the EU they made it mandatory for all tires exceeding 6 yrs on the shelf to be recycled or destroyed. In the US the tire industry continues to refute the findings and denies there is any problem to worry about.

As for you tire, with it being 3 years old it should still be ok. What does sort of concern me is you saying it's discolored. I would say to wash them off with just water and a good scrub brush. After they dry if they still look discolored I would send them back. Better safe then sorry.

Old May 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Thanks Mike. I am also wondering what the performance impact is. New rubber = better grip? Well, I'm going to install this, I am done with having my bike sit around!
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Alan, I think that you should return the tire, having such a valid claim.

The rubber oxidizes since the moment is manufactured, much more if the tire is improperly stored (humidity, sunlight, heat).

Oxidized rubber = Hardened rubber (less grip and sooner cracks development).

Discolored areas have been exposed to UV light for long time and are harder by now.

I ordered a Kenda tire that arrived to me 3 months after being manufactured, as it should be.

Check this thread:

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=845974#845974
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'd also return the tire and at their cost. I'd never expect to pay for a "new" product that was made 3 years ago and when I could have paid the same price to get one that was actually made recently. The fact that it's all discoloured would make me hesitant to ride with it and I would claim an exchange or refund on the basis that it is not as advertised or defective. A 3 year old tire belongs in the bargain bin for bargain bin hunters.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote