ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2023, 04:09 PM   #881
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Nope I checked with CSC and they said that is how it was designed !
.... note I sold the bike ! a panic stop would get you killed on that bike
I went back to older bikes that are more to my liking
I do like the Fuel injection on a bike but they can keep the ABS !
.... I lost money big time on that bike, but I did have everything on it that was new and up to date..... and in all truthfulness the 1977 Triumph 750 is a far better machine...i just wish it had an electric starter ! HAHAHAHAH!
Bob.

Old August 22nd, 2023, 07:16 PM   #882
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
As I said, something is very wrong. I have several vehicles with ABS, including my 2020 MT-07, and they do not behave that way at all. If that system was really designed to work like that, it doesn't change the fact that something is very wrong.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2023, 08:53 PM   #883
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
They say the ABS system is not designed to make you stop sooner than without it but that doesn't make any sense. What you describe, Bob, also makes no sense. Sounds like something is wrong with your ABS. It releases the brake and reapplies it, pumping the brake very quickly.

Even the systems that will link the brakes wouldn't leave you "without brakes."

(For the record I do normally use both brakes at the same time, though in this discussion that would be irrelevent)
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2023, 01:00 AM   #884
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well that was my experience with the 2021 CSCRX4
if you lock up the rear brake it will screech for a split second (lock up and slide)
and then release that pressure and let the tire roll.... but without the front break being used it releases it a whole lot and your practically free wheeling
it is still brakeing but no where where it was just before it broke loose and skidded....
I did try it again on a dirt road at 30mph with both brakes and it worked very well with both brakes being used , I pressed the rear brake so hard that it skidded for a split second then it stopped skidding and buddy I stopped so fast it was unreal ! ....on DIRT !
if your courious pick a good spot to do it, and use your back brake only and no front brake and see what the bike does I bet a cookie it does the same thing my RX4 does ! that is skid the wheel for a split second then release it to about half of what you were pressing ...it will still stop it but barely
.... I think they designed them like ultralights to kill off bike riders !

I'ed be real interested to hear your reports.....
Cali....I had to pump the brake to get it to stop just before the stop sign..... and I did give myself alot of extra room...still it was too close for comfort !.

seriously test it..... back break only to a skid and give me a report !!!!!

Bob.......

Old August 23rd, 2023, 12:31 PM   #885
CaliGrrl

That's actually what I tried first, Bob, stopping with back brake only. I thought that would be easiest to break loose and test the ABS. It gave one little "bump" which I could feel in the brake lever, so I knew I'd engaged it. After that I tried it with both brakes, and I didn't dare brake *real* hard yet, so I couldn't engage the front ABS. I did set off the back brake a few times, though.

Old August 23rd, 2023, 06:56 PM   #886
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ooooh.... well then that RX4 was borked then .... I wonder how they can sell them that way ? I guess no one has taken them to court yet..... YET !
yah the slight bump when the ABS engaged and then it let off the brake substantially.... yours didn't do that eh ?
....I wonder if there was just air in the ABS lines or something.... kind'a strange
to get that reaction really....maybe they didn't bleed the system completely

Bob...

Old August 26th, 2023, 09:17 AM   #887
CaliGrrl

Yeah, one bump, and the brake re-engaged just like it's supposed to do. No idea why yours just let it freewheel. That's not how it's supposed to work.

I've engaged the ABS on my car a time or two, so I've seen how it's supposed to work.

Old August 26th, 2023, 12:04 PM   #888
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, one thing for certain it really dampened my enthusiasm for ABS brakes on a bike !
when they work properly (obviously mine didn't inspite of CSC's insistance that that WAS proper,) I would think it would be the best inovation for motorcycles sense the 2 stroke tripple ! because in emergancy stopping you do not want to brake traction for any length of time ! and having it automatically feather the breaks for you is a god send !
several times I had the unfortanate incounter of having to do that manually at a fast speed and it is no fun and a touch and go scenario..... most of the time in traffic acidents however your real lucky to have the time to hit the brakes at all.... when an idiot pulls out in front of you and your doing 60mph and there is heavy traffic on the left
so you can't go around him.... that happened to me and I slid up along side his drivers door by the time I matched his speed scared him badly too and he dove to the right
..... I was inches from the traffic on the left.... and my skid marks on the pavement
proved I did my braking right.... but it still wasn't fast enough stopping because if I hadn't have threaded the needle and squeezed between him and the on coming traffic I would have hit him hard from the rear.....
as it was I just shook my head and accelerated and got around him.... I was too suprised to be mad ! one second I am just crusing down the road and the next I am braking for all I am worth to not be killed ! it happens so fast most of the time you have no time to react and it's just hang on for dear life or thread the needle and try to dodge
I've been extreamily lucky in my riding in that I've had no major impact with cars ...except for one.... and that one happened so fast there was only a 3 foot skid mark before impact ( he turned Infront of me when I was passing him)... that was a bad one
the impact was so hard if busted the main bearing of the crank in my W1-650 Kawasaki twin and bent the forks back to the engine. I went over the hood.... and landed on the other side....and slid off the embankment. no broken bones but it took a good 5 minutes to even walk again....i now know how a fly feels when you swat them with a fly swatter ! it ain't pleasant! LOL
.....ABS would not have helped there, there was just no time to react. i plowed right into him..... thank God I wasn't seriously injured as we were 65 miles in the boonies near big bend california. on a paved country road ( Big Bend road) that was my first 650cc bike and I loved that bike ! it handled better than any bike I ever had !
and I loved the twistys ! LOL....
driving defensively is your only chance on a motorcycle !
Bob.

Old August 29th, 2023, 02:38 PM   #889
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
One of the first times I rode my 2020 MT-07, I was in town going about 40 and moved into the center lane to make a left turn. I wasn't used to approaching from that direction and almost missed the turn. I grabbed the front brake, but didn't see the grey road-colored sand. The anti-lock brake pulsed a few times and I slowed down quickly without incident, making the turn, and saying to myself "That was really cool!"
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2023, 04:08 PM   #890
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah Jim that's where the ABS really saved your butt ! and it did it without asking it too.... completely automatic ! that is sooooo cool

Names for My bikes ? I've always had Nick names for my bikes but I usually
call them their real name like The "Honda" or the "Bike"
but saying "XR650L" is a bit cumbersome.... so my latest addition is simply "Big Red"....
the Triumph remains "the Triumph" and the Ninja 250 just "the Ninja"
and the TT250 is the "Kids Bike" and everyone knows which ones I am talking about.... some times I get is that the Green one ? from the wife but you know..... she has other things on her mind HAHAHAHA
Bob....

Old September 11th, 2023, 05:23 AM   #891
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My current names are:
Navi - Cherry
Z125 - Wasabi

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2023, 10:56 AM   #892
CaliGrrl

New bike is Poison Ivy and I just applied for a personal plate saying RSENIC. I've never wanted a personal plate before, but this one wants it.