Old May 20th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
first ride :)

Don't worry, I won't spam the forum with details of every ride...maybe lol

I grabbed my neighbor and his son just so I would have someone with me in case I dropped Takara on myself and went for it. Jr walked next to me as I carefully walked her off the parking pad, down the gravel and into my street. They pretty much kept an eye out for cars as I did my thing.

Even on flat ground and with the Heartbreaker boots, I still can't even get on the balls of my feet on both sides, but that didn't prove to be an issue. Before starting her, I just practiced sliding my butt to either side back and forth putting one foot on the ground and getting used to how it felt. Then I started her up and quickly learned the friction zone. It's pretty far out on this bike! I was a little wobbly at first but was able to have my right foot on the peg and go along that way in the zone. I thought I stalled her once, but realized I somehow accidentally hit the emergency off switch I didn't feel comfortable turning yet so I went up one side of the street then hopped off and walked her to the other side, lather rinse repeat a couple times. They were walking next to me the whole time just in case.

After up and down each side once, I started giving her a little gas and getting both feet on the pegs doing around 7 to 10mph. It felt pretty good! Again, a couple wobbly moments but I was always able to easily get on the brake and stop, collect myself, and go again. The poor guys were running next to me by then and out of breath so after a few times up and down each side we walked her back up to her spot and locked her up.

It was a great first time for me, I'm pretty happy about it . Next time I'll try getting into 2nd gear and slow turns. I have to get used to how the gear shifter feels because I can't really feel it with my boot. That, and staying steady on the throttle not choppy.

Anxiety gone and having fun
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old May 20th, 2018, 11:09 AM   #2
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Read your owners manual and adjust the clutch cable so the friction zone starts closer to the handle bar.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome!!! Doesn't it feel exciting?!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Read your owners manual and adjust the clutch cable so the friction zone starts closer to the handle bar.
I just looked that up, and I will adjust it the next day I go for a ride

@DannoXYZ it feels soooo awesome! I knew I was just overthinking it and lacking the confidence I needed. Once I got out there it was easy peasy. Not saying it was perfection, just easy going lol.

Old May 20th, 2018, 02:16 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yep, don't overthink it. There are a couple of things you'll need to think about, but don't overload yourself. Good thinking to have someone watch out for you.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A great first step!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2018, 06:39 PM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Great first step. Do you have room in the boots to add a gel sole? If so it helps with the reach, also check the rear spring(preload). From the factory it is usually in the middle, when adjusted, you will gain some more length.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115660

Mine is in 1

Old May 21st, 2018, 04:16 AM   #8
THusker
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I cannot imagine what it would be like to not be able to put both feet firmly on the ground! Especially while learning. Great to hear it is working out for you and that you were able to get some help/support from your neighbors. Keep up the practice. A little bit every chance you get and you will be on the road before you know it!
THusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Great first step. Do you have room in the boots to add a gel sole? If so it helps with the reach, also check the rear spring(preload). From the factory it is usually in the middle, when adjusted, you will gain some more length.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115660

Mine is in 1
I bought the gel sole and the gel sole for the balls of my feet but only the gel sole fits in my boots so that's what I have in there. According to the manual, the preload is supposed to be on the second setting and that's where it appears to be to me. How does yours feel at 1? It's not too soft?

Old May 21st, 2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by THusker View Post
I cannot imagine what it would be like to not be able to put both feet firmly on the ground! Especially while learning. Great to hear it is working out for you and that you were able to get some help/support from your neighbors. Keep up the practice. A little bit every chance you get and you will be on the road before you know it!

It actually isn't hard like I thought it would be. With the hidden wedge on my boots, I can have my foot firmly on the ground and the bike is almost straight up so it feels fine to me. I kind of hopped my left foot along as needed while I was learning the friction zone. Once I started giving her gas I just put it on the peg and went.

I'm going to keep practicing every little bit I can. Good news is that hopefully in a week or 2 I will be able to get parking lot practice. Salesguy that I thought was ignoring me finally replied to my facebook message. He says he gets asked all the time and doesn't mind at all. We just have to find somewhere in our busy schedules to be able to meet up.

Thanks for all the support everybody, it's why I love this place

Old May 21st, 2018, 05:01 PM   #11
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Honestly, it’s just something you get use to. I have a 32” inseam and have to 1foot or tip toe my 701 SM. At first it was sketchy but with practice i (hopefully others) got accustom to the needed balance.

Old May 21st, 2018, 05:32 PM   #12
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I bought the gel sole and the gel sole for the balls of my feet but only the gel sole fits in my boots so that's what I have in there. According to the manual, the preload is supposed to be on the second setting and that's where it appears to be to me. How does yours feel at 1? It's not too soft?
Not to soft, mine has been in 1 since my first ride. Keep in mind I have rode on the track, street, Tail of the Dragon, gravel, long and short distances with zero issues.
At our heights every little bit helps.

Old May 21st, 2018, 08:06 PM   #13
THusker
ninjette.org member

The preload of the spring will not affect the spring rate or how hard or soft the suspension is. It is there to adjust ride height. Smaller lighter riders will need less preload to get proper ride height. Larger heavier riders, if going 2 up, or hauling heavy cargo requires more to keep the tail from dragging and potentially bottoming out the suspension. I'd give the lowest setting a try and see how it feels.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:30 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Been a long time coming! Congrats on a successful first venture.

Yeah, it'll be wobbly at super-low speeds. As you go faster it gets much more stable.

I remember the nerves and jitters. Experience really, really helps you to relax.

As you venture farther afield, a thought to keep in mind:

You go where you look. Look down, and you're more likely to go down.

Think back. Where you looking at the road directly in front of the bike? I'd bet all the money (or other negotiable financial instruments) in my pocket right now that you were.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2018, 02:09 PM   #15
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Been a long time coming! Congrats on a successful first venture.

Yeah, it'll be wobbly at super-low speeds. As you go faster it gets much more stable.

I remember the nerves and jitters. Experience really, really helps you to relax.

As you venture farther afield, a thought to keep in mind:

You go where you look. Look down, and you're more likely to go down.

Think back. Where you looking at the road directly in front of the bike? I'd bet all the money (or other negotiable financial instruments) in my pocket right now that you were.
You would be correct. I was steady when I was looking up to the end of the street, wobbly when looking down.

I didn't feel like I was nervous but I know I was. I had a death grip on the bike with my hands at first lol. I just kept telling myself to relax and be loose.

@THusker and @snot I'll give the first setting a try. Not sure if I'll do it this weekend, but I'll definitely try it and see if that helps.

Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:45 PM   #16
CaliGrrl

Relax and be loose- definitely a good mantra.

Old May 27th, 2018, 09:52 AM   #17
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Koala's practice thread

well, second time out didn't go as planned.

I had meant to get more practice in first gear at the same speeds as last time (5 to 10mph) and maybe practice turning to go down the other side of the street instead of walking her.

I ended up by myself this time due to neighbors not feeling well, so I had to keep my eye out for cars as I was going. Only reason I call today a success is because 1. I didn't drop her 2. I was able to go up and down the street farther 3. I wasn't wobbly (I kept reminding myself to look up @adouglas) and I was able to go around the car on the side with no problem 4. I was steadier on the throttle as I went.

Downsides 1. I keep giving her too much throttle after getting her into the friction zone (made for a couple squirrely launches but I handled them and got her straight without stopping) 2. I'm going to have to wait for my tool kit to get here so I can adjust the shifter, my boot keeps getting in the way. 3. way too many cars, I swear some of them were going around the block or something.

I stopped after going up and down each side 3 times. I had 3 cars coming up behind me as I was standing next to her and they wouldn't go around. I had to wave them on so I could walk her to my side of the street. I had wanted to keep practicing my starts so I could get it smoother, but not with so many people going up and down the street. I was getting hot, she was getting heavier, and it just wasn't working on my street today.

so, didn't go as planned, I guess I just got lucky with so little traffic last time.

Old May 27th, 2018, 01:14 PM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Congrats... On two wheels and doing fine!

Old May 27th, 2018, 01:35 PM   #19
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so, didn't go as planned, I guess I just got lucky with so little traffic last time.
Sounds like an adventure!

Old May 27th, 2018, 02:27 PM   #20
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I guess you could say that, lol. I was just a lil disappointed that's all.

Old May 27th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #21
CaliGrrl

Keep working on it. Some days go well, others... maybe not so much.

Maybe you can take notice of the "quiet" times of day as far as traffic goes for future practice.

Old May 27th, 2018, 08:49 PM   #22
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Did you check the tool bag that came with the bike? I cant remember if it has what you need to adjust the shifter but it might

Good job on 2nd time out.

Old May 28th, 2018, 02:57 AM   #23
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
My street is usually quiet all day on a sunday. A car here and there, but nothing like yesterday. I was left wondering "wtf?" especially after I got her chained back up and gear off, it went back to normal.

With my luck, the tool kit probably does have what I need to adjust the shifter (10mm wrench). I looked online and in the manual to see what's in it but I can't find anything. The manual is pretty much "this kit includes tools that can help you with your bike." I had them put the pretty cowl on my passenger seat, so reading the manual, it would be a pita to get to the kit. My neighbor has tools but when I told him what I needed he just laughed. I guess the 10mm is the one he always loses. I ordered a good kit from Summit Racing, I just have to wait a few days for it. One of my customers works there and ordered it for me so I could get his discount. $50 kit for $$25. I'm patient, I can wait.

I was going to go out early this morning to try again, but my left arm is pretty sore. Trying to get her up the gravel to the parking pad by myself wasn't so easy yesterday. I was afraid to try starting her back up and using the throttle to do it, lest she get away from me on the gravel. She's pretty heavy trying to push her up it alone in neutral, even after getting a good start. The dirt and gravel combo slows her down too much for me.

Old May 28th, 2018, 02:19 PM   #24
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Your key will remove the solo cowl, it just locks in like the seat did. Then you can physically check the kit.

Also the local auto parts store will also have a 10mm wrench....or should.

Old May 28th, 2018, 02:41 PM   #25
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Your key will remove the solo cowl, it just locks in like the seat did. Then you can physically check the kit.

Also the local auto parts store will also have a 10mm wrench....or should.
Summit Racing is my local auto parts store They just don't carry the kit that my customer recommended in store, so he ordered it for me. With my arm being sore enough that I could feel it while cleaning my apartment today, I figure I'll just wait until it gets here and do it before I go practice next Sunday. If by chance I'm able to meet up with someone earlier to parking lot practice, then I'll ask if they can just bring a wrench with them. that probably won't happen though, my week is looking pretty busy at this point.

Old May 28th, 2018, 06:26 PM   #26
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
When you get some help, you can also adjust the preload to lower the bike some. The wrench is in the room kit that came with the bike.

The solo cowl comes off like the rear seat, with the key. There is room to add more tools. I keep a kickstand puck in mine with the kit.

Old May 29th, 2018, 04:47 AM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

Tip when adjusting preload:

You'll find that the adjusting collar is difficult to move. It helps a lot if you can unweight the rear end completely so the tire is hanging (hang from rafters via straps, floor jack under the engine, etc.) but that doesn't sound like it's an option for you. PS it's easier to reduce preload than increase it because you're relaxing the spring, not compressing it.

So this is one of those instances when you may want something that can help you apply more force. *

In your OEM toolkit you'll find the adjuster wrench, which looks kind of like a question mark. You'll also find a tube with one end flattened. The flattened end fits over the wrench to make a handle. However, you may find that the combo doesn't give quite enough leverage.

If this happens, find a longer of pipe large enough to slip the adjuster wrench into, thereby giving you more leverage than the stock handle thingie. Or, find a metal rod that you can slip into the end of the OEM handle (big screwdriver, piece of rebar, anything will do). Same idea... you want to create a bigger lever.

* NEVER EVER EVER try to increase your leverage when tightening fasteners. German torque (gutenteit) is NOT the answer. Correct torque is the answer when it comes to nuts and bolts. But this isn't a nut or bolt. It's a collar and you can't screw it up.

Old May 29th, 2018, 05:51 PM   #28
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Check this link, the photo is the tool kit. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230081

You will see what adouglas is talking about. It also includes the 10mm wrench you need. I can't remember if the wrenches in the 250 and 300 are the same.

Old May 30th, 2018, 04:12 AM   #29
THusker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My street is usually quiet all day on a sunday. A car here and there, but nothing like yesterday. I was left wondering "wtf?" especially after I got her chained back up and gear off, it went back to normal
Maybe you timed it just right to get into the after church traffic? Plus being a holiday weekend. More people out and about.
Keep after it! Just think how much stronger you will be after a few more uphill gravel workouts

Old May 30th, 2018, 04:29 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Re-read your second ride post and have a comment.

You're working on one of the more difficult skills, namely riding the bike at very low speed. It's good that you're doing that, but it can get frustrating if you feel you have to master that before picking up the pace.

Think about riding a bicycle. Which is easier... riding it as slow as you can, or riding it at speed? When you were learning to ride a bicycle, did you spend a lot of time riding so slow you were about to fall over, or did you just GO? Same deal.

The amount of time you spend at very low speeds is minimal compared to regular riding. But stick with it... you do need to be able to handle the bike at a walking pace from time to time.

Old May 30th, 2018, 05:23 AM   #31
THusker
ninjette.org member

Quote:

You're working on one of the more difficult skills, namely riding the bike at very low speed. It's good that you're doing that, but it can get frustrating if you feel you have to master that before picking up the pace.

Think about riding a bicycle. Which is easier... riding it as slow as you can, or riding it at speed? When you were learning to ride a bicycle, did you spend a lot of time riding so slow you were about to fall over, or did you just GO? Same deal.

The amount of time you spend at very low speeds is minimal compared to regular riding. But stick with it... you do need to be able to handle the bike at a walking pace from time to time.
Totally agree! I am probably just a couple steps further along than you are with about 800-1000 miles since starting out in March. On my sunrise Memorial Day ride I had to do a little U turn to go back to the house. And wasn't as steady as I should have been. Took about 5 min before I took off again practiceing slow speed maneuvers. Going fast on easy runs makes the slow speed skills rusty.

Old May 30th, 2018, 04:44 PM   #32
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Maybe you timed it just right to get into the after church traffic? Plus being a holiday weekend. More people out and about.
Keep after it! Just think how much stronger you will be after a few more uphill gravel workouts
I didn't even think about the after church crowd. It was around lunch time 11/12. Trying to get her up the gravel really hurt my arm, lol. I ended up having to push her up the side with less of an incline and go onto the pad from an angle. Then I couldn't get her lined up with the dang anchor. I kept having to push her forward then back forward then back to get her lined up. Curse me for just ordering the shorter chain lol.

Quote:
Check this link, the photo is the tool kit. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230081

You will see what adouglas is talking about. It also includes the 10mm wrench you need. I can't remember if the wrenches in the 250 and 300 are the same.
Thanks, I was just talking to Ducati999, and he said it's a cheapy wrench but it's in there.

Quote:

I don't mind starting out on the more difficult slow stuff while I wait to get to the parking lot. Yeah, it is easier to go fast, but like you said, I need to be able to handle the bike at walking pace. It's helping me get a feel for the brake and the clutch, and coming to a stop safely. I've learned that if I get too squirrely and need to stop suddenly that I can do so without grabbing a handful of brake, and I do what I need to do to stop without even thinking about it - clutch/brake/steady stop/foot down.

Quote:
Totally agree! I am probably just a couple steps further along than you are with about 800-1000 miles since starting out in March. On my sunrise Memorial Day ride I had to do a little U turn to go back to the house. And wasn't as steady as I should have been. Took about 5 min before I took off again practiceing slow speed maneuvers. Going fast on easy runs makes the slow speed skills rusty.
Another good reason for me to practice those slow speed skills off the bat!

I got good news today from 2 different people. I was able to tentatively set aside time for parking lot practice tomorrow afternoon

and....one of my customers is a professional photographer, and he was asking me about the bike today. I talked to him for a bit about it and mentioned how I would like to start riding her to work once I get comfortable because of all the good roads in the surrounding area I see when driving to cleans. I mentioned a specific area that he knows well, and he just smiled and said "I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse. This summer, when you're ready, we'll meet up and go out there and I'll bring all of my equipment and take pics of you riding your bike, and off the bike and we'll have a great time." I was floored that he offered that.

Old May 30th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ballpark where do you live?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #34
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ballpark where do you live?
NE Ohio

Old May 30th, 2018, 07:42 PM   #35
mst
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Quote:
Trying to get her up the gravel really hurt my arm, lol. I ended up having to push her up the side with less of an incline and go onto the pad from an angle. Then I couldn't get her lined up with the dang anchor. I kept having to push her forward then back forward then back to get her lined up. Curse me for just ordering the shorter chain lol.
You really need to learn the friction zone / adjust your clutch.

Pushing a bike with an operating engine up a hill ..... ??
mst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2018, 03:58 AM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh cool, so you have the CVNP to play in. I lived running/biking distance from the CVNP (Hudson) all the way through from elementary school to college. I spent a lot of time pedaling in the valley and ripping those roads on the Ninjette. Now I'm in Asheville in the shadow of Pisgah and Mitchell.

Once you get the bug for curvy roads, check out some of the fun stuff, Boston Mills road, Colmbia road, cruise up and down Akron-Peninsula and Riverview for scenery. Head out to Brecksville and check out Meadows drive. It's the curviest little road in the valley. Then Mid-Ohio is only an hour and a half south... Another scenic ride is the parkway through all the metro parks on the Emerald Necklace.

If you're far away from the Valley, I'm sorry. The valley and the whole system of metroparks is really the only reason to live in NE Ohio and it's all that makes up for living in the freaking snow belt. It's also the only significant topography in the area. Probably the greatest idea ever when they were originally developing Cleveland and Akron. They're why I miss CLE, even with all the amazing forests and parks that I have now.

If you get really comfortable (might take you a while, no offense) and get tired of CVNP roads, there's some good roads south within an easy weekend morning ride. 555, 536, 255, 800, etc.

Old May 31st, 2018, 01:54 PM   #37
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
You really need to learn the friction zone / adjust your clutch.

Pushing a bike with an operating engine up a hill ..... ??
thanks so much for your helpful input. If your reading comprehension skills were up to par, you would have realized that I said I was afraid to start her back up and get her up the gravel that way because I didn't want her to get away from me while walking next to her up the gravel. Plus, never having ridden before now, I'm not just going to hop on her and see how she feels going up the gravel and then hitting the lip of the parking pad. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Oh cool, so you have the CVNP to play in. I lived running/biking distance from the CVNP (Hudson) all the way through from elementary school to college. I spent a lot of time pedaling in the valley and ripping those roads on the Ninjette. Now I'm in Asheville in the shadow of Pisgah and Mitchell.

Once you get the bug for curvy roads, check out some of the fun stuff, Boston Mills road, Colmbia road, cruise up and down Akron-Peninsula and Riverview for scenery. Head out to Brecksville and check out Meadows drive. It's the curviest little road in the valley. Then Mid-Ohio is only an hour and a half south... Another scenic ride is the parkway through all the metro parks on the Emerald Necklace.

If you're far away from the Valley, I'm sorry. The valley and the whole system of metroparks is really the only reason to live in NE Ohio and it's all that makes up for living in the freaking snow belt. It's also the only significant topography in the area. Probably the greatest idea ever when they were originally developing Cleveland and Akron. They're why I miss CLE, even with all the amazing forests and parks that I have now.

If you get really comfortable (might take you a while, no offense) and get tired of CVNP roads, there's some good roads south within an easy weekend morning ride. 555, 536, 255, 800, etc.
Yes, yes, yes, lol. You are mentioning some of the roads I'm talking about. The Valley is awesome for riding. That's where I got my love of twisty roads on a bike on my second trip out as a passenger My office is not too far from the Yellow Creek rd/Bath rd area with all the quiet twisty no heavy traffic for the most part wooded roads with the metro park stop offs everywhere. That is where I'm thinking of to go out when I'm ready. That and there are some great areas further north that go right through one of the parks if I remember correctly.

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:00 PM   #38
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
thanks so much for your helpful input. If your reading comprehension skills were up to par, you would have realized that I said I was afraid to start her back up and get her up the gravel that way because I didn't want her to get away from me while walking next to her up the gravel. Plus, never having ridden before now, I'm not just going to hop on her and see how she feels going up the gravel and then hitting the lip of the parking pad. Thanks again!
Walking the bike up the ramp while feathering the clutch is how I load my track bike. It's far more likely that you'll drop it than that it'll "get away from you." After all, the moment you let go of it it'll stall, right?

Riding up an incline can be tricky if you can't touch the ground. It's not the time when you're on the slope or the lip at the top that's the issue... it's that moment at the bottom when the front wheel is on the slope and the rear is still on level pavement. Your reach to the ground suddenly, but briefly, goes way up. Have to get past that without losing momentum.

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:12 PM   #39
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Walking the bike up the ramp while feathering the clutch is how I load my track bike. It's far more likely that you'll drop it than that it'll "get away from you." After all, the moment you let go of it it'll stall, right?

Riding up an incline can be tricky if you can't touch the ground. It's not the time when you're on the slope or the lip at the top that's the issue... it's that moment at the bottom when the front wheel is on the slope and the rear is still on level pavement. Your reach to the ground suddenly, but briefly, goes way up. Have to get past that without losing momentum.
By "getting away" I meant that or dropping her, neither of which I wanted to chance. I just wasn't ready to try at that moment. I do have times where things scare me occasionally or I don't think I can do it.I wasn't feeling particularly confident at that moment after a disappointing practice session. I'm not perfect. I can take constructive criticism, I just don't need snarky comments about my actions as I begin this journey of learning my bike and having a good time with her. When I first read that comment before work this morning, I wanted to be a hell of a lot less polite in my response.
@adouglas I just wanted to clarify, I meant the comment from mst, not anything you've said. You've been a great help

Last futzed with by Koala; May 31st, 2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: clarification

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:43 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yes, yes, yes, lol. You are mentioning some of the roads I'm talking about. The Valley is awesome for riding. That's where I got my love of twisty roads on a bike on my second trip out as a passenger My office is not too far from the Yellow Creek rd/Bath rd area with all the quiet twisty no heavy traffic for the most part wooded roads with the metro park stop offs everywhere. That is where I'm thinking of to go out when I'm ready. That and there are some great areas further north that go right through one of the parks if I remember correctly.
Awesome! If I were you, I'd be hitting up Hampton Hills for MTB rides or Sand Run for runs on my lunch breaks.

Yes, head north to Brecksville reservation and pick up the valley parkway. That parkway is a nice scenic slow moderate road that will take you all the way around the emerald necklace around the backside of the airport and then up to rocky river and if you know how to jog about, you can get up to Edgewater park and the Cleveland sign. It's a cheesy picture opportunity, but it's kinda fun.