ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

Adding Visibility Advice

I upgraded from stock halogen to a projector retrofit with 6000k HIDS, both on for low beamand both on for hi beam. This is significantly brighter than stock right? And does anyone had advice as to what other things I can to grab people's attention that I can add to my bike? thanks
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
here is a fact: nobody will ever see you and riding with the idea that anyone can see you is putting yourself at risk. assume nobody can ever see you. don't buy loud exhaust, it wont make people notice you it will just make them angry at you. don't ride with your brights on, it wont make people who dont see you see you, it will only anger the people who already see you. always assume you are invisible.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

I totally agree with you. I just hope I didn't decrease visibility by the upgrade
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

By going with the projectors, you increased your ability to see, though it may not have an impact on others seeing you.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #5
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Add some reflective wheel strips for added night visibility, wear hi-viz gear and switch all the lights out for led's. Oh, and ride like no one can see you.
Posted via Mobile Device
beazy411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

comagination Headlight Modulator....nothing works as well in the daylight
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #7
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Also....maybe a year ago there was a DIY on this baord showing how to turn your turn siganls into hazard lights.....almost as good as a modulator but when used togehter....the best you can do in traffic
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

the reason motorcycles have very limited visibility is the fact that cars basically see us as a single point, they're used to seeing something as wide as a car. having a single daytime running light only hinders this fact, because car drivers are used to seeing two points. It's much more difficult to judge distance and speed of a point, rather than two points. Hence, why average car drivers think motorcycles are always speeding.

in my opinion, if you want better visibility, find a way to mount two auxilary lights on either side of your motorcycle, as wide apart as possible. I've personally been thinking of putting running lights on the mirrors, since that's about as wide as you can get and have a reasonable mounting point.

A lot of the bmw dualsport guys do this... search around online for some photos and you'll see what I'm talking about. IMO, it greatly improves your visibility to the average driver.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

This technique is practised in britain to good effect, you don't need any fancy rubbish on your bike, just proper technique, and if you ride at night, put on a fluoro jacket.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...?TOPIC_ID=1304
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #10
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
comagination Headlight Modulator....nothing works as well in the daylight
I don't think those work well with retrofitted projectors..
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazy411 View Post
..wear hi-viz gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
.... if you ride at night, put on a fluoro jacket.
Even though you've increased your ability to see and be seen up front, your rear is still a little dot. As a car driver and motorcyclist, I often times can not see riders who are in all black or dark colors camouflaged against a dark color car or truck. A light colored or hi viz vest, jacket, helmet or belt/harness stands out even at a distance.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Even though you've increased your ability to see and be seen up front, your rear is still a little dot. As a car driver and motorcyclist, I often times can not see riders who are in all black or dark colors camouflaged against a dark color car or truck. A light colored or hi viz vest, jacket, helmet or belt/harness stands out even at a distance.
I also as a car driver attest to this. My vision in dim light and at night is somewhat poor and i have difficulty focusing. So Distinguishing between 1 car, or a bike and a car by lights alone at night can be challenging. Reflective clothing definitely helps. That being said i ride in all black on a black bike

shame on me.

I want new head lamps for my visibility only. I feel like the stock lamps do not illuminate enough especially beyond a few yards.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #13
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
I don't think those work well with retrofitted projectors..
Headlight modulators only work with incandescent bulbs because they can tolerate fluctuating voltages. HIDs require steady power input which is supplied by the ballast.

The problem I see with modulators is night time driving, they get dim and I like my light to be steady but that's just me.
beazy411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Keep in mind that when you put those really bright lights on your bike you are blinding oncoming traffic, which puts you in danger on any road that doesn't have a median. As well as putting everyone else in danger. But hey, your choice.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fidyswag View Post
.........does anyone had advice as to what other things I can to grab people's attention that I can add to my bike?....
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97999
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote