ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #1
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Missed shifts and false neutrals... or how do i work this thing??

So, my shifting technique *could* be to blame, but I don't think it's too bad. Basically I shift without letting off the throttle much, and the whole operation is done in a fraction of a second. I basically grab and release the clutch *very* quickly as i bump up the shifter and normally this works great. However- I have recently been missing some shifts and I will even put the bike in neutral by mistake when shifting from 1st to 2nd. This actually was very dangerous to me recently because I was pulling out in traffic and hit neutral instead of 2nd. Any suggestions? I saw this little magic shifter spring from factory pro that claims to fix the problem... it's not expensive (like $35 shipped), but I dont want to do this if it's not really gonna help. Any advice?
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
what kind and how old is the oil in your bike?

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #3
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
what kind and how old is the oil in your bike?
It's the rotella t6 10w40 that is reccomended to run in this bike, and it has about 1000 miles on it.

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #4
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
That is what I have in mine.

Old January 27th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

The tranny gears are not undercut on the ninjette. So basically the dogs within the tranny will not snap into the next gear like they will on a nicer bike.

When shifting, pull or push on the shift lever and keep pressure on it for a lil bit until its completely in the new gear. Dont just tap the lever expecting it to stay in gear.

Also, I stretched my stock shift spring about 3mm (~10%) and it really helped too. It was a pain to stretch however you really need to pull it apart with a lot of force to get it to stretch. Dont change gears when you have the ahift spring out of the bike, a little cup will fly out and get lost. Then you will think it dropped inside the motor, then you will lose sleep for being a dipwad, i umm have a friend of mine, yeah really, that this happened to.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #6
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
The tranny gears are not undercut on the ninjette. So basically the dogs within the tranny will not snap into the next gear like they will on a nicer bike.

When shifting, pull or push on the shift lever and keep pressure on it for a lil bit until its completely in the new gear. Dont just tap the lever expecting it to stay in gear.

Also, I stretched my stock shift spring about 3mm (~10%) and it really helped too. It was a pain to stretch however you really need to pull it apart with a lot of force to get it to stretch. Dont change gears when you have the ahift spring out of the bike, a little cup will fly out and get lost. Then you will think it dropped inside the motor, then you will lose sleep for being a dipwad, i umm have a friend of mine, yeah really, that this happened to.
Actually, I was thinking about it and I kind of do this. I notice that if I try to shift without the clutch in, it wont move, so I leave a little pressure on the shift lever until i pop in the clutch and it clicks into gear. I was actually thinking this was bad for the tranny...
Stretching the spring helps, huh? Maybe I will try the factory pro spring, as it's probably a little tighter or has more force or is otherwise redesigned to be better for the bike?

Old January 27th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
On the street it's completely unnecessary to do things like shifting without letting up on the throttle, or shifting without the clutch. If you're building a drag strip only bike, install an air shifter with ignition cutout, but on the street there's no need to make super-quick shifts. You can make nice, quick enough, clean shifts that are easy on the transmission, and enjoy not seeing metal flakes on your magnetic drain plug at oil changes.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Don't ride like a sicko or psycho and your bike will love you for it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #9
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
How many months since the last oil change?

If it's close to a year then that is your problem.

Old January 27th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I'd say just slowdown on the shifts and use more clutch.

The Ninja's trans isn't super sport-spec, so what works on a bike with race credentials (R6, ZX6, etc) isn't going to work the same on the little Ninja.

If there's been some grinding going on, it may be a good time to change the oil.

Rotella T6 is just fine, but it is on the thin side for a 40-grade and does breakdown even lower. I used to run it in my SV, but after 1000 mi or so I felt the shifting degraded. Now I run a cycle-specific synthetic and the shifting doesn't change between oil changes.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
My Z1R started missing shifts when the output shaft bearing (behind the sprocket) was bad.

Old January 27th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I not a fan of my bike when it pops out of gear; all other times I love it

Old January 27th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickopsycho View Post
I shift without letting off the throttle
Why?

Old January 27th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Shifting at full throttle sounds like the way you would ride a 125 cc two stroke mx bike. The ninjette isnt going to like it.

Personally I use the clutch on the 1-2 upshift, then go clutchless up thru 6. I clutch the downshifts. Works for me, ymmv. Mine tends to pop out of gear on occasion if I go clutchless on the 1-2 shift.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
............ Any suggestions? I saw this little magic shifter spring from factory pro that claims to fix the problem... it's not expensive (like $35 shipped), but I dront want to do this if it's not really gonna help. Any advice?
Rather than trying springs and any other solution, I would verify that the external mechanism and shifter lever are completely free to move all the way up and down, with no resistance or hitting the frame.
Secondly, I would keep all the joints and pivots properly lubricated.

Then, I would switch gears properly, with full clutch disengagement and allowing time for the rpm's of engine and next gear to harmonize (the engine must slow down some, because the next gear up rotates a little slower than the previous one).
The opposite applies to downshifts.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #16
dcj13
Participant

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
How long have you been riding?

How many different types of bikes have you ridden?

Do you preload the shift lever?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #17
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I agree with what motofool says, check the external mechanism first. I have found mine to be loose on the shifter shaft, and had to be tightened. Also I found that in my case the bad shifts were on upshifting, never on downshift. It helped to adjust the lever downwards, my foot was simply not strong enough lifting up or rather did not have enough range upwards, possibly getting stiffer with age and stiff boots don't help either.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #18
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Don't ride like a sicko or psycho and your bike will love you for it.
Thanks for contributing meaningful information to this conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
How many months since the last oil change?

If it's close to a year then that is your problem.
4months. Oil is doubtedly the issue, probably my technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I'd say just slowdown on the shifts and use more clutch.

The Ninja's trans isn't super sport-spec, so what works on a bike with race credentials (R6, ZX6, etc) isn't going to work the same on the little Ninja.

If there's been some grinding going on, it may be a good time to change the oil.

Rotella T6 is just fine, but it is on the thin side for a 40-grade and does breakdown even lower. I used to run it in my SV, but after 1000 mi or so I felt the shifting degraded. Now I run a cycle-specific synthetic and the shifting doesn't change between oil changes.
This is probably what's going on. I am new to riding and in all reality mostly taught myself. Nobody showed me how lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Why?
Because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
Shifting at full throttle sounds like the way you would ride a 125 cc two stroke mx bike. The ninjette isnt going to like it.

Personally I use the clutch on the 1-2 upshift, then go clutchless up thru 6. I clutch the downshifts. Works for me, ymmv. Mine tends to pop out of gear on occasion if I go clutchless on the 1-2 shift.
I actually read that clutch less shifting wasn't good for the bike either. I guess though it kind of is my bad. I'll try working on my technique and slowing it down a bit.
Thanks guys!

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #19
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Rather than trying springs and any other solution, I would verify that the external mechanism and shifter lever are completely free to move all the way up and down, with no resistance or hitting the frame.
Secondly, I would keep all the joints and pivots properly lubricated.

Then, I would switch gears properly, with full clutch disengagement and allowing time for the rpm's of engine and next gear to harmonize (the engine must slow down some, because the next gear up rotates a little slower than the previous one).
The opposite applies to downshifts.
I checked the shifter, was the first thing I looked at, then at clutch lever to make sure it was moving as it should. Good thinking, though.

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #20
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx107 View Post
It helped to adjust the lever downwards, my foot was simply not strong enough lifting up or rather did not have enough range upwards, possibly getting stiffer with age and stiff boots don't help either.
You've hit on why I've reversed the shift pattern on all my motorcycles since 1978. The Ninja 250 was the easiest one I've done. It required only cutting the lever almost all the way through, bending it down a bit and using stainless filler to TIG it back together. The result changed the angle enough so the linkage clears the pivot boss, and it can still be put back to the stock pattern in a couple minutes.

This started because of street drag racing my H2. (I was young ) Upshifting in a hurry when accelerating works much better when pushing down with my boot than trying to lift it up. Downshifting normally isn't such a rushed thing, so I didn't tend to goof those up.

I found I liked the pattern so much I've stuck with it. Of course now there's the buzz term for a reversed pattern: GP Shift

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/atta...1&d=1485613850
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reversed_shift.jpg (199.9 KB, 5 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #21
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

im with tripple jim
if its not mechanical , go gp shift , for reasons stated above.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #22
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:

4months. Oil is doubtedly the issue, probably my technique.
yeap

There is an AMA rooky of the year who used to be on here a lot (still stops by every now and again) he uses his clutch every time; so, so do I.

He posted a video of his hands as he accelerated throu all the gears on his 250.

Old January 28th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
I checked the shifter, was the first thing I looked at, then at clutch lever to make sure it was moving as it should. Good thinking, though.
Please, allow me to insist on the last portion of my previous post.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/E-Z_shifting_for_beginners

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #24
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Also just for clarification I don't stay hard on the throttle when I change gears. Mostly I just kind of leave it at the same RPM and change the gears. The throttle does not rev when I engage the clutch and it may in fact drop a small amount but the process of Shifting Gears is just very fast and that's where I thought I had the problem. I will take a look at that article you posted I appreciate the link and thanks for all you guys' help I don't think my bike has a problem I think it's driver error

Last futzed with by sickopsycho; January 28th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.