ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 1st, 2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Any tips or video install tutorials for a full exhaust?

It's time to install the Two Brothers Black Series full exhaust on my bike, I figure I could save some money by installing it myself then handing it off to a tuning shop to clean and jet and tune the carbs.

The included instructions are vague to say the least, so are there any specific torque settings I should use on the bolts or any other tips not included in the instructions? They only say how to remove the old system and install the new one, they don't mention a single thing about bolt torque settings or whether or not any thread locker should be used.

Also included in the box is a tube of Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker, but not a single word in the instructions on where or how to use it.

I tried to find some videos on a full TBR exhaust install for the 250R, but all I could find were slip-on installs.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

How about answering a simple question....

What are the heads made out of so I know if I'll need anti-sieze on the header bolts or not?

Old August 6th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #3
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
It's time to install the Two Brothers Black Series full exhaust on my bike, I figure I could save some money by installing it myself then handing it off to a tuning shop to clean and jet and tune the carbs.

The included instructions are vague to say the least, so are there any specific torque settings I should use on the bolts or any other tips not included in the instructions? They only say how to remove the old system and install the new one, they don't mention a single thing about bolt torque settings or whether or not any thread locker should be used.

Also included in the box is a tube of Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker, but not a single word in the instructions on where or how to use it.

I tried to find some videos on a full TBR exhaust install for the 250R, but all I could find were slip-on installs.
Hi there....As far as bolt torque, use factory values as guideline as mentioned in the service manual. Don't recall at the moment to write it but finding a manual on the web is quite easy and will come handy in a number of occasions, if you're the DIY kind of guy...that is if you don't already have it !

You could use a type of gasket maker for eliminating any sealing issues but I prefer custom-made exhaust header gaskets so I can't tell you much about that... I think the stockers have a copper-ring gasket between headers and head exhaust outlets so if not in bad shape, try reusing these with some permatex on or even better get new ones, should be cheap...
hope I 've been of some help, sorry for the delayed responding...

Old August 6th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The header gaskets are copper crush washers. OEM part, not expensive. Use them. Don't trust goop.

Torque on the header bolts is very low, so be really careful... Pretty sure it's about 8 or 9 ft-lbs. USE A TORQUE WRENCH. And use it properly... if you don't have one and aren't familiar with the one you buy, learn on something non-critical. "Click" wrenches don't actually click at low settings. They deflect a bit. More than one person has screwed up a fastener because they did not know this.

Edit... according to this list, torque for the header nuts is about 9 ft-lb., or 12 n-m

http://faq.ninja250.org/torque/ex250j/

Caveat: Do your own research. Get the factory manual... you'll be glad you did.

Aside from the need to be careful with the header nuts, it ain't rocket surgery.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Some info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja250EngineTopEnd.jpg (50.2 KB, 4 views)
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
When going to a full system it is a simple thing to remove the fairings and then the exhaust. You just replace the parts. On top the valve cover is a hose . The hose connection plate is for the exhaust. This must be blocked off. You can remove the plate and there are cover plates that will seal this off. If you don't it will backfire when you let off the gas.

RTV won't be good for the exhaust gaskets. Just to much heat.

The head is aluminum but uses studs. Just tighten the bolts till they are snug. Warm the bike up and re tighten them

Old August 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

OK, I have 3 torque wrenches, a foot pound clicker, an inch pound clicker, and the old bendy needle deflection kind.

So no anti-sieze on the header bolts then if they use plugs. If they vibrate out though I'm going with the thread lock.

The kit didn't come with a spring puller so I'll have to make my own, probably from a coat hanger.