ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:34 AM   #1
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2010 Ninja 250R RPM question.

Hi everyone,

I know I'm posting this in the general section. The reason being is I'm assuming someone else with a different bike may have this problem. Now I recently purchased a bike from a lady with 450KM on it. Not sure how well maintained it was but I bought the bike. I bought a 2010 Ninja 250R. Now, when I warm up the bike the idle sits at like 1400 rpm and the rpm hangs and slowly comes down after I give it throttle. I took it out on the road for the first time yesterday and filled it with gas. Drove around for a bit and then I noticed when I was at a red light, my rpms were like 2-3K. Now is this normal? Any suggestions what could be wrong? I still have to do an oil change, planning on doing that this over the long weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
misterangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:35 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

Could be an air leak, or the bike could need its carbs cleaned of deposits.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:50 AM   #3
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to new-gen tech

Could be an air leak, or the bike could need its carbs cleaned of deposits.
Sorry and Thanks. How and where would I check if it is an air leak?

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #4
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Well if you have very low RPMs on a cold start and didn't use your choke - that would make sense. Once the bike warms up it will idle higher where it is set to idle by the idle knob by your left knee
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:57 AM   #5
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
Well if you have very low RPMs on a cold start and didn't use your choke - that would make sense. Once the bike warms up it will idle higher where it is set to idle by the idle knob by your left knee
Ideally, where should the idle be at when the bike is warm? When I rode the bike for a few mins my rpm was at 2-3K at a red light? Would that considered be normal? Or should I tinker around the idle knob?

Thanks.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

From what I recall when I asked the same question - was 1,300 to 1,500
I swear some one here said 3,000 but I feel that's too high and I lowered to about 1,500

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:08 AM   #7
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

DO NOT CHANGE THE IDLE SPEED YET. First try running some carb cleaner thru the bike. Since you said the idle "hangs" before it comes down, this indicates either a too lean condition or the slides are sticking or both. Since you are unsure how the bike was maintained and it has only 450ish KM and is nearly 5 years old, I would assume the bike has sat for a time. Run a full tank of fuel thru it with a good amount of Carb cleaner (I like SEAFOAM) any kind should help. You can ride the bike as long as it remains a minor issue and you feel safe just be aware the issue may suddenly (although unlikely) get worse. After a full tank of cleaner and fresh fuel you should see improvement if not then ask about how to find an air leak. You may have to adjust the idle after the fuel and cleaner do their job. I have my bike set to 1100 but I am sure there is a "Factory Recommended" RPM

Good luck
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:15 AM   #8
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Yeah less then 300 miles and he already put fresh gas in it - just ride it until you can crack the throttle and it doesn't bog anymore. Assuming if things were junked up that badly , you probably have bogging issues too when throttle is applied. At least that's always the case for me when the bikes sit all winter.
Probably be wise to check your tires for cracks and dry rot. Change the oil

Each season my first ride needs to "clear the pipes" then we're all good.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:18 AM   #9
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
DO NOT CHANGE THE IDLE SPEED YET. First try running some carb cleaner thru the bike. Since you said the idle "hangs" before it comes down, this indicates either a too lean condition or the slides are sticking or both. Since you are unsure how the bike was maintained and it has only 450ish KM and is nearly 5 years old, I would assume the bike has sat for a time. Run a full tank of fuel thru it with a good amount of Carb cleaner (I like SEAFOAM) any kind should help. You can ride the bike as long as it remains a minor issue and you feel safe just be aware the issue may suddenly (although unlikely) get worse. After a full tank of cleaner and fresh fuel you should see improvement if not then ask about how to find an air leak. You may have to adjust the idle after the fuel and cleaner do their job. I have my bike set to 1100 but I am sure there is a "Factory Recommended" RPM

Good luck
Awesome, sounds great. I'll buy the seafoam from my local store today ( http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm ), how does it work? lol sorry I'm a new rider. Also, I mentioned doing an oil change. I read many people use the Rotella t6. Is this oil ok to use considering the low mileage the bike has? Also, i was planning on using a fram oil filter since I'm not sure which stores sell a k&n filter.

Any other oil/filter combination suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:30 AM   #10
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Your bike your oil choice. I won't run anything less then Castrol racing 4T full syn oil or mobile racing 4T full syn. A few bucks more but who cares. I get my KN filter off ebay for a few bucks cheaper so I guess that makes up for it ?(I don't quite get the oil debate threads here)

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:36 AM   #11
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterangelo View Post
Awesome, sounds great. I'll buy the seafoam from my local store today ( http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm ), how does it work? lol sorry I'm a new rider. Also, I mentioned doing an oil change. I read many people use the Rotella t6. Is this oil ok to use considering the low mileage the bike has? Also, i was planning on using a fram oil filter since I'm not sure which stores sell a k&n filter.

Any other oil/filter combination suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Seafoam just gets poured into the gas tank. I usually will run 1/4 of the bottle on a bike with really dirty carbs. I believe they say just a cap full will do the job but I have had good luck with larger ratios.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:49 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I agree with trying some fuel system cleaner. Seafoam is fine, but I prefer Chevron Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal. Run ethanol free 87 octane if possible. Next best is the lowest octane without ethanol.

Because the bike is new to you, there are numerous things that should be checked. Do change the oil and filter - Rotella T6 is fine. There are better oils, but Rotella T6 is more than adequate. Check the air filter, clean and adjust the chain, check the tire pressure and condition, check and possibly change brake fluid, check and possibly change coolant - those are the basics.

Here's a good place to start -

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

As far as the idle problems, check that the clamps on the boots between the carb and the engine are tight. Spraying something (WD-40, brake cleaner) on the intake connections with the engine idling will tell you if there is a leak. Any change in RPM will confirm it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM   #13
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I agree with trying some fuel system cleaner. Seafoam is fine, but I prefer Chevron Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal. Run ethanol free 87 octane if possible. Next best is the lowest octane without ethanol.

Because the bike is new to you, there are numerous things that should be checked. Do change the oil and filter - Rotella T6 is fine. There are better oils, but Rotella T6 is more than adequate. Check the air filter, clean and adjust the chain, check the tire pressure and condition, check and possibly change brake fluid, check and possibly change coolant - those are the basics.

Here's a good place to start -

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

As far as the idle problems, check that the clamps on the boots between the carb and the engine are tight. Spraying something (WD-40, brake cleaner) on the intake connections with the engine idling will tell you if there is a leak. Any change in RPM will confirm it.

Awesome, thanks.

Also, once I put the seafoam in the tank. Do I just ride my bike as i normally would?

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:45 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterangelo View Post
Awesome, thanks.

Also, once I put the seafoam in the tank. Do I just ride my bike as i normally would?
Ride as normal.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:56 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Err... my bike revs up to 6k by itself some mornings and hangs there with the throttle fully closed >.>

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:27 AM   #16
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Err... my bike revs up to 6k by itself some mornings and hangs there with the throttle fully closed >.>

Cold mornings? What happens when the bike is warm? Any idea what's wrong? Because this is bothering me haha.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:33 AM   #17
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
We don't really have warm mornings over here

I think I know what's wrong. I think there is rust on the throttle position sensor wiring. At least I hope that that's the case. If that's not the case then it's more likely the TPS is actually faulty... which means I need new throttle bodies to fix it as apparently the TPS is built into the throttle bodies on the Ninja 250R FI >.<

I could be wrong though. I just understand this based on what my usual mechanic has told me.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:03 PM   #18
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
We don't really have warm mornings over here

I think I know what's wrong. I think there is rust on the throttle position sensor wiring. At least I hope that that's the case. If that's not the case then it's more likely the TPS is actually faulty... which means I need new throttle bodies to fix it as apparently the TPS is built into the throttle bodies on the Ninja 250R FI >.<

I could be wrong though. I just understand this based on what my usual mechanic has told me.
It really seems like a faulty TPS on your fuel injected 250... it has happened to quite a few in Greece too... happily the TPS is easy to be replaced and can also use a ZX-6R one mod '06 and on, will fit and work just fine....

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:18 AM   #19
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
It really seems like a faulty TPS on your fuel injected 250... it has happened to quite a few in Greece too... happily the TPS is easy to be replaced and can also use a ZX-6R one mod '06 and on, will fit and work just fine....
Micoulisninja,
I love your sig line " If noone has tried it I will!"

Excellent!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:35 AM   #20
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Micoulisninja,
I love your sig line " If noone has tried it I will!"

Excellent!
well you see there is a story behind that...
Greece has great minds but somehow people lack willingness to think out of the box, and experiment -mostly because resources, but also special equipment and new technologies are limited- and if there are, they are way too expensive to use, to build or tune/modify anything or the guy who owns it knows nothing about using it properly...

most of the times I have a "crazy" idea and try to make it a "result", so it is "trial and error" for me.
I have been many times justified by insisting on doing something "different", others was just failure, however this mod has kind of become not only part of my life and choices, but part of who I am...

p.s. friends call me "McGyver" after the TV series guy if you know...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.