ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: Have you taken the MSF course?
Yes 329 85.90%
No 54 14.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #41
brian997
Master of the ZZR

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki 250 ZZR

I took the MSF's baby sister course (which is what we have up here)... it is offered at most of the colleges... It taught me how to ride. Excellent course... a lot of time riding the bikes, which was nice...
brian997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #42
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here is my story:

I signed up for the class in 1997 with two buddies. The first day was classroom with the second and third being riding. I finished the first day and went home. On my second day, I was on the way and stopped at an accident about a mile from the community college where the MSF was hosted. I didn't have a cell phone (1997) so I got out to help the injured driver, since I was an EMT at the time.

Got to the class at 8:05 A.M. and everyone was lined up getting their gear on. Class had not started yet. I ran from my car and trotted into the course area. The instructor holds up his hand and says "sorry pal, your out of the class. We have a no-tolerance policy for tardy folks." I explain to him that I stopped at an accident scene to render aid and he didn't seem to be the least bit concerned.

He told me I was out of the class and then proceeded to tell me I could come to another class next month, but I would have to pay full tuition again ($85 bucks back then). I asked him if he was seriously going to keep me from finishing the class for stopping at a wreck even though folks were still donning their gear, and he told me to GTFO and come back next month!

Well, I told him to eat my ass and that he could shove his class. He said I would never get my endorsement without his instruction and laughed as I walked over to my pals and said goodbye. I told them I would meet them at the end of their day for lunch.

I then left and drove to the DMV. My other buddy worked at a restaurant in the same strip mall and had ridden his bike to work. I met with him and asked if I could borrow it for the DMV test. He laughed and agreed, tossing me his keys. I walked into the DMV and waited in line for 30 minutes. Took and passed the written MC test. Arranged the course and passed it on the first try. Walked into the DMV and picked up my new license for $15.

Went back to my buddies restaurant and asked to borrow his EX500 for the rest of the day. I had a sweet 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi at the time that was faster than his bike so he readily agreed. Rode back to the college just as class was finishing for the day.

A-hole instructor jaunts over to me and starts yelling at me about how he is calling the cops to report me for rising without an endorsement, blah blah, this that. I just rolled my eyes and pulled out my freshly minted M endorsement equipped DL.

My buddies walked up as he was going off and laughed their heads off. Then we went and got lunch. I was waiting for them again at the end of the third day and we all went for a ride.

I have about 20,000 miles down since then (I've been off and on with ownership) and nary a crash.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #43
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

I never saw much point, I rode better than anyone I knew who took it.

On the other hand... by court order, I will be taking it before February 1, 2009. (Motorcycle Operators training course) There was a slight disagreement on the color of a light as I passed below it, I lost...
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #44
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
I never saw much point, I rode better than anyone I knew who took it.

On the other hand... by court order, I will be taking it before February 1, 2009. (Motorcycle Operators training course) There was a slight disagreement on the color of a light as I passed below it, I lost...
lol... don't feel bad, I rode for years before I took the course and although a lot was stuff you pick up over the years, there were a few things I learned and, in the end, was glad I took the course. Hope it provides you the same benefit.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #45
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... don't feel bad, I rode for years before I took the course and although a lot was stuff you pick up over the years, there were a few things I learned and, in the end, was glad I took the course. Hope it provides you the same benefit.
I don't feel bad about taking the course. I have almost taken it a few times since getting my first scooter, I just never could justify the cost. I'll probably pick up some tip or advice that I had never considered as a result. That should help it sit better in my gut.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #46
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post

Texas must be ruff, loose on 1 ticket & get sent to class

In Cali, it took more than a few tickets before the judge ordered me to a class. You know looking back, a MC class would have fit(all tickets on bikes). They kept sending me to a regular driving ones. Couple of them were 5 weeks long, 1 day a week

MC class seems like fun, more than a punishment
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #47
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

It was my first experience riding a motorcycle and not on the back seat and I loved it! Although the fastest i went was only 15 mph, it was an amazing feeling. It really helped cement the fact that I wanted a motorcycle and made it easier to not be so scared about it!!
CaliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #48
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I took the class and it was the best thing I could do to get over my fear of ridding a bike well not so much fear as just wanting to really know what I was doing, see I got my 1st bike back in 2000 it was a yammy 600 I got it for a grand and when I showed up at the guys house he gave me a walk around and handed me the keys I had know permit or had even been on a bike before it was just something that I wanted to do so I did it well after flying down the freeway in Colorado do over 100 mph when I passed an 18 wheeler and the bike shook as if it wanted to toss me off on the second day I have ever been on a bike, long story short I sold the bike and now I am starting off slow but I have to say that I love my 250r
mike_sema is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #49
gnfreak
ninjette.org member

Name: keith

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Kawasaki Z1-G1 Classic, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

took it.....back in the early 80's. or was that the late 70's? the memory is the first to go!!
gnfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #50
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

Took it free in PA a year ago. Had been riding dirt bikes on and off for years, so it wasn't my first time on a bike. But I would have taken it even if I had to pay. Funny story is I ordered my 250 a week before the 2 week class started thinking it would take at least a month to come in from what the dealerships were saying. During the very first riding day, the dealership called me right in the middle of class to let me know it arrived.

Old December 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #51
Bone_Head311
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 ninja

i took mine @ 2 weeks after i got my ninja. Its mandatory in florida. Im glad i took it but, it was agony waiting to ride until i got my endorsment

Old December 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM   #52
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I took it and it was great! I rode a pregen ninja 250 so it gave me an idea of what my bike would be like. I really wish I could retake it now that I've been riding for a little while.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM   #53
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

Its pretty much mandatory to take the course in Ontario. I'm planning on taking it in the spring. They have a great program through the colleges since we now have this graduated licensing in Canada. I've been told that quite a few don't make it through the program partly because they have never riden and expect to pick it up in the course which is 1 day in the class and 2 days riding, the 3rd riding day is test day. My husband is going to help me with the basics so that I can pick up more in the course and gain my confidence. In the mean time I'm doing a little light reading... "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough. Some great info.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM   #54
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICUNinja View Post
In the mean time I'm doing a little light reading... "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L Hough. Some great info.
excellent book... I have the follow up, "more proficient motorcycling".

Old December 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM   #55
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Yes I took the MSF course four years ago and now I am a certified MSF instructor hear locally. I think it is a valuable tool, even for experienced riders. I know here is SC they will wave your driver course exam if you have your certificate from the intermidiate course or higher. Not a bad deal.
G250RSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM   #56
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I wanted to take it, but I couldn't. All the classes filled up several MONTHS before they started, and I had decided to get my bike a little too late in the spring. Also, the $140 or whatever it is that they charge here is a little steep for someone like me. I'm thinking about perhaps taking the advanced course in the future, because i'm sure there are some things I have missed while learning to ride. I haven't had any close calls (besides a woman blasting through a red light in an explorer while on her cell, but that would've happened even if i was in a car) because I took it really easy for the first few hundred miles. I followed the break-in procedure for the most part, never really revving above 5k for the first 500 miles, which helped keep me moving a little more slowly and a little more aware. I live on a dead end street, which i rode up and down for several miles learning slow maneuvers and getting a feel for the clutch. I'm sure there are plenty of things that I could still learn from the course though.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM   #57
kkim

Andy,

When you have the time/$$$, take it. After 40 some odd years, I finally took it and can say it taught me some things that I needed to learn/brush up on. You should never stop learning and always take the opportunity to be open to new ideas, even if you think you couldn't possibly learn another thing.

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #58
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I know, hopefully I'll be able to jump on it next spring. I've managed to work at home for what is normally my summer job so that I can make a few extra dollars in between all of my ski racing. I've been training for 5 days straight now!
Like I said, I really wanted to take it, I just couldn't. In addition I have no one here who could teach me how to ride, so I know for a fact that there are aspects of riding that I have missed. Though I did have to wait a month for my ninja, so I have to wonder where all the others who bought them are???
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #59
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

I guess lucky for me the military pays for it since they make it mandatory to have to ride on base!

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:41 PM   #60
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by G250RSC View Post
I guess lucky for me the military pays for it since they make it mandatory to have to ride on base!
Yes, same here.

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM   #61
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes, same here.
What branch and what do ya do? I am in the Air Guard now..radar tech with the 245th ATCS.

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #62
kkim

Actually the agency I'm with shares resources with the local Navy base (PMRF), so we were extended the same courtesy as anyone assigned or working on base.

I was a radar repairman in the 150 ACW Radar group for the Air Guard in Hawaii, though, which is how I got my electronics training a few years ago.

Old December 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM   #63
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Actually the agency I'm with shares resources with the local Navy base (PMRF), so we were extended the same courtesy as anyone assigned or working on base.

I was a radar repairman in the 150 ACW Radar group for the Air Guard in Hawaii, though, which is how I got my electronics training a few years ago.
Awsome...yea I work for the FAA Federal Aviation Administration here as an electronics tech. I will have twenty in the guard this year and will decide then if I want to stay in or call it quits.

Old December 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #64
kkim

Stay in... you're over halfway there, right? retirement bennies.

I got out after my initial 6.

Old December 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM   #65
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Stay in... you're over halfway there, right? retirement bennies.

I got out after my initial 6.
I will stay in for now..need the money. We can retire at 20 years but can not draw a check till age 59. But as you may know our retirement pay is based on rank, years and points. Points being how many drills or active duty days you pull. I want to make E-9 then I will quit.

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM   #66
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Never rode a motorbike before MSF. Took the class in March and haven't crashed/dropped yet!

Old January 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM   #67
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Yes I took it, as mandated by the DoD. Unfortunely it was in mid/end Sept when I decided to take it and the last 2 classes the AF was willing to pay for was during the week and there was no way they were going to let me take leave from work to go take the MSF. Oct is when our fiscal year starts back up and when they have to get spending money approved etc etc. So Oct 5th I took the course and coughed up the $190. I got my bike on the 23rd, after that the motorcycle guy on base e-mailed everyone to let them know money was approved for us to take the course again. By that time though I had already been riding around for a few hundred miles. I'm glad I'm impatient or else I might have just been sitting in my garage staring at my new bike.

MSF gave me enough confidence after never riding a motorcycle before and being terrified of them (I have two quite nasty exhaust burns on my body. one from a dirt bike, the other from a sport bike) that I was able to just hop on the bike the day I got it and take off down the street and around the neighborhood.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #68
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Yes and I took it. I am glad I took the class and I feel it has given me a heads up. I also read David L. Hough's book called "Proficient Motorcycling" which is just a treasure trove of riding wisdom and basic street rider tips.
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM   #69
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Dug View Post
Yes and I took it. I am glad I took the class and I feel it has given me a heads up. I also read David L. Hough's book called "Proficient Motorcycling" which is just a treasure trove of riding wisdom and basic street rider tips.
Same here on the book. A friend at work also recommended "Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" by Lee Parks. It is an excellent one.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM   #70
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

I took the class last September because I never rode a motorcycle before and it was a good incentive to convince my wife I could get a bike. Heck I made my wife took the class with me and after we both pass the class she wanted to go buy a bike a that moment !! We both had a great time and met other riders during the process.

A couple of weeks after the class, I got myself a green 250r and my wife got a 250cc Kymco GrandVista scooter.

The only bad part was the price, it cost $400 for both of us to take the class
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM   #71
BlackKarma
ninjette.org member

Name: Ronin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Chrome Yellow Ninja 250

Wink

Yep! The MSF course should be by law...I'm not one of those save people from themselves.But,It's just like a good gun safety course.Alot of young kids go out and get a 1000cc bike and wrap it round a tree...You got to know which end of the barrel to point downrange!

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #72
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Dug View Post
yeah, great book. i also read "sport riding techiques" by nick ienatsch. that was a pretty good book too.

i took the msf course. the closest to a motorcycle i had ridden before the course was a moped 20 years ago. after the 2 1/2 day course, i was able to ride. great course!

only thing is that i basically failed the box figure 8 section. now and then i practice it with my ninja. still can't consistently do it. not sure what i am doing wrong.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #73
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
only thing is that i basically failed the box figure 8 section. still can't consistently do it.
Check this out. It helped me with the Box:

Link to original page on YouTube.

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #74
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): Gix

Haven't yet... having a hard time justifying the cost. I might be able to afford it in a couple months. I've just been learning by jumping on my bike and heading out to any road that looks twisty on google maps...
Erin_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #75
barrypz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Barry

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I took the course sponsored by the Navy in 1975. It was a requirement to ride on the base.
Barry
barrypz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #76
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
After 40 some odd years, I finally took it and can say it taught me some things that I needed to learn/brush up on.
So, you can teach an old dog new tricks
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #77
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
So, you can teach an old dog new tricks
yep, yep, yep, yep!!

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #78
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I took my MSF before I bought my bike. Never having had a motorcycle before I wasn't sure if this was something I really wanted to do of if it was just an Old Guy's dream. I decided that the $120 at the local community college was a pretty good investment especially since the couple of folks at the office that ride said the local DMV guys liked to bust chops on the ride test and most people didn't get a pass on the first time.

After the first session I was sure of two things; I wanted to get a bike and it wasn't going to be a cruiser style. Having been a road bicycle rider the cruiser just didn't feel right where the Ninja felt a lot like being on my road bike.

Best investment of time and money. Two other good investments are David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" (Second Edition) and "Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist II"

Late this year or next year I will probably take the Advanced Course they offer.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old January 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #79
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Check this out. It helped me with the Box:

Link to original page on YouTube.

thanks! i will try that next time.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #80
MrTiddles
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

I got my bike later in the year and most of the classes were booked up, but as soon as it's warm again, I'm there.
MrTiddles is offline   Reply With Quote