ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:53 AM   #1
marc_previtera
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): GPX250rII

Brakes

O folks time to do the brakes

Because I'm a numbnuts and won't be stuffing around with things with the brakes I'd like to take them to a mechanic except he wants to charge a small fortune

Can anyone reccomend what these cheapie eBay pasds are like? I don't intend to go a natural compound and prefer the metallic one, and also need to note its for the gprx250rii grey import with dual rotors, I'm guessing the normal gpx 250 pads will be ok on the r11 and I just need to buy another set?
marc_previtera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i dont know about the gpx but i know orielys just started carrying a whole bunch of bike brake pads. have you done brakes before? if you have any questions this is the right place.

also how much are you wanting to spend?

Old July 27th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Replaced my rear pads yesterday w/ nothing but a 6mm allen key and some strong grip. The EBC brake pads I bought were $30 from a bike shop. They're probably like $12 if you order them
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4
marc_previtera
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Replaced my rear pads yesterday w/ nothing but a 6mm allen key and some strong grip. The EBC brake pads I bought were $30 from a bike shop. They're probably like $12 if you order them
These blokes wanna charge me close to $300 for all of them!
I'm tempted to try do it myself, but 1 bit of dirt in those cylinders etc - I'm not sure?!!!!!

Old July 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If it's an odd variation of the bike, maybe you should hunt down an actually service manual before you attempt work on it.

clarify if you will; 'Grey Import' means it's not typically sold in the country it's currently in, correct? Sorry, just not sure.

Okay, so after some quick googling, this was the Japanese spec ninja 250, sold only in Japan during 1988. It had dual front brakes. Wow, jealous of that.

Okay, OP. I personally use Sintered Vesrah brake pads. If you want to use sintered pads on both disks, that's cool, but since you have twice as many rotors, you might be alright with using organic pads. I know that the vesrah pads on my single rotor give me pretty good bite and feel.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:22 AM   #6
marc_previtera
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If it's an odd variation of the bike, maybe you should hunt down an actually service manual before you attempt work on it.

clarify if you will; 'Grey Import' means it's not typically sold in the country it's currently in, correct? Sorry, just not sure.

Okay, so after some quick googling, this was the Japanese spec ninja 250, sold only in Japan during 1988. It had dual front brakes. Wow, jealous of that.

Okay, OP. I personally use Sintered Vesrah brake pads. If you want to use sintered pads on both disks, that's cool, but since you have twice as many rotors, you might be alright with using organic pads. I know that the vesrah pads on my single rotor give me pretty good bite and feel.
Yup, mine is the dual front disc version

Here's what the mechanic said
- the sliders are bugger ed and the discs are buggered.... He needed players to get the old pads off they were rusted in badly!
My poor old ninja