ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #1
archaeofreak
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Just bought a 2007 Ninja 250 R with 15k miles...1 issue perhaps!

Hi! I just bought a ninja as stated in the title. I dont even have a license to ride yet, but I was just sitting on it familiarizing myself with the controls and I noticed that when I have it started (on the kickstand and in neutral), if I rev the engine with the throttle just a little bit, and sharply, the bike will die! It seems to bog a little bit too. If I give it a decent amount of throttle, it seems to run OK. It also idles OK-I had it running for about 5 minutes, and the first couple it was at 700 RPMs, and over 5 minutes went to about 1200 RPMs.

The fact that it dies when I give it just a little bit of throttle makes me worried it might need some maintenance like carb cleaning/rebuild or even valve adjustment before I start riding it (planning on the MSF course in a few weeks). I have no idea what the maintenance has been in the past. The owner I bought it from said they only had it for 1 month, and they bought it from the first owner, a female who used it to commute to work.

Does anyone have any insight on what could be causing the engine to die with just a little bit of throttle sharply applied at idle, but not when the throttle is turned more aggressively?

Thanks!!
archaeofreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Congratulations, Justin !!!

Please read these:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
When your bike dies at idle when you give it throttle, is it warmed up yet? Mine used to sputter and die if I revved it at idle when it wasn't warm, but it ran fine otherwise. It didn't need a carb clean, just needed to be allowed to warm up.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #4
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Are you using any choke?
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #5
archaeofreak
ninjette.org member

I didnt use any choke because it started right up and ran when I pushed the engine start button. I let it idle and revved the engine occasionally but not past 5000k RPMs for about 5 minutes. The temperature gauge did not change though, but I assumed that was long enough to warm it up. Thanks for all the replies and help, and I am reading through the faq now as well!

Old August 10th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #6
archaeofreak
ninjette.org member

Another issue I noticed recently...a small oil leak from either he oil drain cap or filter bolt! I put it on the center stand overnight and no drips...put it on the kickstand and get 1 drip every couple hours or less...any ideas? bought used no idea of maintainable history! Just a bad washer/gasket or could this be worse-getting my license this weekend so may take to shop for once over afterwards...

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #7
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

Your engine is about to explode and you are going to have to get a new one. Most shops won't do it because labor is 500 hours and engines are rare.

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #8
archaeofreak
ninjette.org member

OMG engines are rare! I knew it! I'll never find a replacement! ****! Lol
So, paranoid? Maybe the previous owner sucked at oil changes?

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #9
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

That could very well be. One of the first things to do when buying a used bike is to change the oil and filter. While you're waiting to take the course that's a good way to get acquainted with the ninjette! You can also see if there are any leaks, cracks or warpage on the parts.

Take off the seat and get to know the inside of the bike too, maybe check the air filter while you're at it. You are going to have to do all this stuff eventually

For what it's worth, my bike drips condensation from the exhaust occasionally and I tendto over lube my chain a bit and some grease also drips down.

The first time I did maintenance was a little clutch, but every time after that it is much fun to work on bikes.