ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Cool Bike Purchase

I have no clue as to purchasing new bikes. Is it just like buying new cars. Whats the motorcycle version of TMV from Edmunds?
What are the other fees associated in a bike purchase? How much do you haggle or do you haggle at all?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Old April 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

It honestly depends on the dealer.

When buying a vehicle the majority of your haggleing is over your trade-in. Since this is your first bike that is out of the question.

Most dealers will slap on assembly fees, financial fees and office fees. This is where your negoatiation is. Try to get them to lower or wave them.

Also they will want you to buy an extended warantee or scheduled maintance plan... that is your choice and you might be able to negotiate price on that. They might even talk about delivery if you don't have a way to get the bike home or you don't know how to ride it yet.

MSRP is usually what you will pay for the motorcycle unless there is some type of factory incentive.

If you're buying a new 250R expect to pay $4000 plus tax and license, and try to talk your way out of the dealer fees. If you don't get an extended warantee, you will be looking at just under $5000 out the door.

If you are paying cash don't tell them at first and try to use that as a barganing chip. It might get you a deal, but It is not guaranteed.

From my experience with cars, smaller dealers haggle more. Big ones just try to trick you more. I can only imagine it's the same with bike dealers.

Someone else might have had different experiences than I have so feel free to share.

Old April 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
In this economy I would try to pay cost. Dealers get a kick back at the end of the year anyway. I'd try to have them throw in helmet, jacket, gloves, service, or anything else you can weezle out of them. I'd work them over a few visits. I'd also try to work one dealer over another. I think it's fun haggling with them. Hey, it's my money.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 15th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to General. HELP forum is intended for help with the forum itself, not with motorcycling topics.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Haggling is part of the game.

Don't ever pay sticker. Find out as much about the vehicle, options available and cost. Research all the other costs, dealer fee, registration and don't forget taxes.

When you sit down, they will ask you "what would you like your monthly payments to be?" DO NOT ANSWER this question, you will be trapped. Haggle about the cost of the bike only. Start bellow MSRP. Once you have the price as close to MSRP then worry about monthly payments. Finance as little as possible. Don't be afraid to walk out.(There are plenty of bikes out there)

Two weeks ago I went to get mine, first deal they offered was $6,700.00 total (special edition + frame sliders, 2 years finance and $1,200 down) I came back with CASH the next day and got the bike for $4,700.00 out the door(including registration, dealer fee and taxes.)not special edition and without frame sliders($120 aftermarket).

Good Luck!

P.S. Listen to cowboy. I got them to throw in a $400 shoei for $300, waive dealer build fees(comes in a box) and delivery.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

with the 250 being in high demand the dealers don't haggle much meaning you usually pay sticker price or more depending on stock like in my area Try to get free gear or extras.

Old April 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Thank you everybody for the advise. I've got a few dealer in mind & probably be on the phone to find out more if need be.

Gr8 stuff. Advice to chew on.

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #8
ironglory
ninjette.org member

This is supposed to be simple if wifee is supportive.