ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old July 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #161
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Yep, I had to triple-check it myself.

That's just a Hot Wheels sat on top of my laptop lid with an 18% gray car as the background. Lit with my Speedlite 199A bounced off the ceiling.

These were shot the same way.

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #162
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Nice.

I'm going to be working on my studio here in a couple of weeks. I'm going to paint the walls matte white (pure white), and one wall a matte black. That way I can just move the subject to a different wall instead of having to mess with a backdrop. Then again, I'll have to dig out the backdrop if they want a full body shot.

Still, it will be nice to have several options for bouncing a flash. I may also install some curtain rods so I can hang a blackout curtain or two to help absorb light. That sure comes in handy for those low light shots.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #163
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I took this in the rain. It lightened up just enough for me to grab the camera again (with one of those plastic rain covers around the camera. Weird to handle the camera through that.

I took a couple of shots with my flash, which did reach him, but the pool water in between us and him caused nasty reflections. He also got a blue hue cast on him from the water. Decided to not deal with the flash. Went with my 55-200mm lens, since I wouldn't shoot at 2.8 because of the low light. I didn't want to risk it not being in focus, since the 2.8 is pretty narrow, even at 70mm. Would have shot at 5.6 - 8 anyway.

1/125, f/5.6, ISO6400, 200mm

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #164
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

ISO performance is sooooo much better than my T2i :P

Decided I need a wider lens. Choices narrowed down to the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and the new Canon 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS. After two days of researching and getting advice, I've decided on the Canon 10-18.

Gotta wait til my next paycheck though. Hopefully I can get some nice shots up soonish.

Old July 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #165
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Also had a big talk (read: fight) about photography with my woman. She's not progressing like she should be (or at all). She's still stuck in photography kindergarten. I just found about 20 shots on my Nikon of hers. ALL blurry. Shot at 1/3-1/15s, f/4, ISO 400. I do all this stuff for her (buy her expensive cameras, start shooting film, developing, etc), and she, for some reason, can't grasp the simple concept of exposure. I bought that Mamiya TLR for us (because she wanted a TLR). When I bought it, "oh you just bought it for you, you're not gonna let me use it." Damn right I won't, no sense in wasting real money on crappy shots. Learn the basics, damnit.

Anyway, it was more complex than that, I'm not a complete asshole, I swear. She's just too proud to accept any instruction from me. Stubborn, defensive, etc. Also for some reason irritated that I "stole" her hobby, and have progressed way past her. Although I'm not completely innocent in this one. I do admit I can get condescending and frustrating myself.

After our talk (our first real fight, for srs), she's vowed to actually put in the work, since I put in the work to get where I'm at, AND the money to fund our hobby. We're just gonna continue shooting digital. I'll be getting that lens, and that's it til she gets to where she wants to be. She WILL get the Mamiya, once she shows me that she can handle it, especially since it has no metering. Secretly I'll be starting to move to another medium format camera, but this one will be an SLR. And no, it won't be a Hassy. That will be my kit. Body, lenses, film backs, motor drive, pistol grip, etc etc. That'll be my end-all camera, along with my D40. If she likes the A-1, I'll keep it for us. If not, she can just use her Canon K2 or one of my other many film cameras I have laying around.

Wow it feels better to get that off my chest. Feel free to resume your normal foruming.

Old July 10th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #166
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I tried explaining some photo basics to my wife, she said, "Don't even bother, I'll never understand it."

I think it is also that if she learned, then she would have to take pictures on occasion, and she doesn't want to do that. lol

In that course I took earlier this year, there were several women who were in retirement age in that course. It really clicked how well I grasp technology. One lady (who had photo experience), myself, and another guy were assisting the instructor. It was slowing up the course, so the instructor recommended them taking private instruction to really help them grasp the concept. They did that. So every week, they did the course, plus the private instruction and did well. At the end of the course, there were a few people who were like, "You didn't explain how to do this (referring to exposure compensation)". He looked at me, "Did we go through that?" "Yup."

So he recommended more private instruction, which they did.

Some just have a hard time grasping it. I can kind of feel your pain along those lines. When something clicks so easily, it is easy to get frustrated when others have a harder time grasping it.

Old July 10th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #167
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I did a house shoot for an agent yesterday. I ran my butt off working on it. She took the images previously, and couldn't get it to lease. We then looked at her images, and rooms she basically said had tons of light looked really dark. It wasn't that she was lying, it was just the camera metering. So I came in (for a small fee) and brought my speedlights. She said she only called me because the lease has been on the market for a while.

She did say that she would call me for future for sale listings. AWESOME. New client!

Getting my gear ready for the Lindsey Stirling concert tonight. I'm looking forward to that!

Oh, and here is one image. I still have a bit to learn about shooting real estate, but I think I lit it up pretty well (need to work on hotspots).

Old July 10th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #168
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

For the overexposed windows, I've heard the suggestion of taking two exposures, one for the room, one for the window, and combining them. This was the process suggested by a local photographer in a group.

"Here's how I combine images: two images (camera on tripod) OR one image with a midrange exposure opened and processed twice--once for the room and once for the windows (IF you have enough detail in the windows). Drag the "Window" exposure on top of the "Room" exposure. Add a "hide all" (black) layer mask to the window layer. Activate the layer mask. Select the brush tool and set your active color to white. Paint in the windows! Your image will stay as tack sharp as you shot it!"

Still making up my mind on the camera I want. I know I said in my last post it won't be a hasselblad, but I was looking at the prices on some of the models, and they're not too way out of line for my budget.

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #169
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Preview of the bag of mold I bought.

And here's some shots of a wonderful sunset the other day. Unfortunately I was holding the camera out of the open t-tops of my vette while driving (protip: don't try that at home). Saturation wasn't touched.

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #170
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

A little elbow grease and that Olympus will be looking like new.

She just wanted well lit rooms, since it was a lease. On the for sale homes, I will do something like that to make everything look better.

Oh, and one from the show. I still have 110 to go through.

We only got to shoot for 3 songs. Boooo!

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #171
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Jelllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #172
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I was leaning on the stage for several of the shots.

It was a neat experience. I was disappointed that I ONLY could shoot for 3 songs though. I was not aware of that standard limit. I'm actually going to start to save up my cash for a compact unit that takes great images, but doesn't look pro.

If I did that, I could have been right up near the front, and just snapped away with no complaints from anyone (flash off of course).

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #173
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Two more

The lighting is proving to make for an interesting editing challenge.

Old July 12th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #174
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Yep, I've edited a few concert shots. The green light really kills me.

Have you looked into the Sony NEX series? Looks like a P&S, but can handle good glass (with adapters, of course).

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #175
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have been thinking about some others, but the Nikon 1 looks pretty good to me. However, I may get one in my hand and just say no. You never know!

I can deal with a lot of different colors, but just a blast of one color is horrible. It forces me to go B&W most of the time. Sometimes I can salvage it, but others not so much.

Here is another couple of shots:

Old July 14th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #176
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Bitchin! Love the blue one.

Old July 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #177
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

She used a ton of blues in her concert.

I need to go through some more. I am a little under 1/2 way done with the edits. The more I edit, the more things I try. The more things I try, the more I want to try.

Addictive.

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #178
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Bought my new camera today. Briefly considered a Mamiya 645 Pro TL with AE finder and 80mm f/1.9 (one of the fastest medium format lenses ever), which would've been great, if it wasn't 6x4.5. I REALLY wanted 6x6 at least. Was going to be a decent price at least.

Will post pictures of my new kit once it arrives. Can't wait to start shooting with it. It's coming with a 220 back, so yippee double the amount of 6x7 goodness (20 instead of 10).

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #179
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Addictive!!!!!!

I'll post up all my edits so far here in a little while.

Been working on the home studio this week. All painted with pure white and a grey wall (paint had only black added to the white base). Still organizing and going through old stuff. Items no longer wanted are either given away, donated, or being sold. So far we have ditched quite a bit. My Explorer has donated 3 full loads of stuff, and my brother in law took a truck load of stuff away (furniture). BUSY.

Did I mention I am sore? hahaha

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #180
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Super jelly. I wish we could get rid of a BUNCH of the stuff in this house and garage.

I regret buying the camera when I did because today I got a flat while driving, and that made me lock up the brakes, and I accidentally over a curb. Bent the lip slightly, toasted the tire.

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #181
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ouch! That stinks!

Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM   #182
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Eh whatevs. Now that I actually have the camera in my hands, I feel like it was worth it.

Came with a 220 back. Didn't want to run 120 through it. Thought the local shop sold 220, but they don't. Was looking on ebay and stuff for 220. The seller was kind enough to have a half-exposed roll IN the back and an unexposed roll in the box. Yay for me. Also came with a UV filter and CPL filter attached. Had to use a vice and channel locks to unscrew the 77mm filters apart. They were STUCK good.

Can't wait to get that thing up and running. Couldn't even figure out how to use it at first; had to download the manual. Everything about it is dummyproof basically. You have to do several things in a specific order to fire the shutter, and it won't let you unless you do. Pretty cool, actually. Also has an AE prism finder, but I need to get the manual for that too lol.

Will try to get some shots with it on Friday at a cruise night, but it has Porta 160 in there so I can only do it in the day when I'm working. Actually, it has a hot shoe, can sync up to the max shutter speed of 1/400, and I have a diffuser. Hopefully I can do something good at night :3

Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #183
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

lol

Gotta love that old technology, where you have to dig up the manual to figure it out. While an iPhone, well 4 year olds know how to work it...

Old July 24th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #184
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
My 10yr old daughter took this pic. RAW from the camera, unedited.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #185
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Awwwwww, gotta love boxers.

Old July 27th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #186
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

She's here!

7 pounds, 8 ounces, and healthy as an ox!

Old July 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #187
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Niiiiiiccceeee!!!!

Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:46 AM   #188
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Still shooting my first roll through it, trying to make it last til my 120 back gets here or I can find another roll of 220.

Slide film is ****in awesome! Just got my first roll of it developed, and DAMN it's fantastic. The colors are just so rich, better than anything I've ever seen from a negative film or unedited digital file. I'm gonna try scanning them, but from what I've read the colors are difficult to recreate on a computer.

I can't wait to get my 6x6 slide developed, and run a roll of 6x7 through my RZ.

[Edit] Bit the bullet and paid full price for a factory refurbish Epson V500 photo. Tired of my scanner giving my issues. Sure, garage sale $5 find is great and all, but turning a 2 minute job into a 25 minute ordeal is just frustrating. It'll take even longer if I want them scanned as individual pictures, instead of one long picture with all the photos in there as well as the holder.

Last futzed with by Mountain Dew; August 3rd, 2014 at 04:15 AM.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #189
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Ehh.. I'm having a hard time reproducing the colors accurately, or even closely. Hopefully my V500 will be a bit better.

At Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden. The blue of the water is pretty accurate in saturation. In the scan it looks a bit radioactive though.

My friend's '71 442. It was underexposed, but the sky REALLY popped.

She'd kill me if she knew I posted this online, but a portrait of my woman. The colors don't even come close, especially the green grass. I really like the bokeh on my FD 50 1.4. All the white in the background is a plumeria tree.

Old August 13th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #190
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

A few shots from the roll of Portra 160 I ran through my RZ67. I just wish I could accurately recreate the colors.

Old August 13th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #191
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'm really diggin that last one.

I have been doing other things, like organizing, so I haven't had much time to pull out the camera except for the shoot I did yesterday.

Old August 14th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #192
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Yeah that seems to be everyone's favorite. I'm just super anxious to get my damn scanner already. I'd love to share more of my shots. Already planning on getting the ANR glass inserts from betterscanning. I should be able to scan my curled and wavy ones with that.

Bidding on a bunch of RZ67 stuff. I'll miss most of it, but some I bid reasonable prices on. I'm expecting at least one lens and one back, and all the accessories I bid on. If not, oh well.

Oh, also currently have a roll of Velvlia 100 slide film in my A-1. Let my girl's cousin (the subject of that good photo I posted) shoot most of it (she's a pro photog; wedding, lifestyle, etc), but my girl and I also shot a few. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Old August 14th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #193
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I give props to people who still choose to use film. It is soon to be a dead art, but I hope it stays around for a while. The film gives a shot a lot of character.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #194
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Picked up four new cameras. Only spend $25.

Polaroid Spectra
Kodak Pleaser
Minolta Maxxum 400xi with a HUGE Tokina 28-300mm

And a cool 3-D camera, but is really a gimmicky hunk of junk, the Nishika N8000. Have an almost complete set, new in box, never used, etc. There's a guide out there how to hack it up for some artistic freedom, like making the images bleed on to each other, color filters, etc.

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #195
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Picked up four new cameras. Only spend $25.

Polaroid Spectra
Kodak Pleaser
Minolta Maxxum 400xi with a HUGE Tokina 28-300mm

And a cool 3-D camera, but is really a gimmicky hunk of junk, the Nishika N8000. Have an almost complete set, new in box, never used, etc. There's a guide out there how to hack it up for some artistic freedom, like making the images bleed on to each other, color filters, etc.

Interesting.

It is a special film that takes the image from each lens? I'm guessing each lens has a filter and it channels it to the film in one shot.

I did shoot for a winner of a contest I held back in July. They finally had a chance to meet up for the shoot. The winners are actually friends of mine, but surprisingly not many wanted to enter. Oh well, here is an image from the session:

Old August 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #196
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Nope, you can use any film you like. It takes 4 half-frames. But you need to send it to a special lab to get it developed if you want it to be 3D. Or you can have it scanned regularly and make a "wobbly" image.

Old August 18th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #197
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ahhh, quite interesting.

Old August 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #198
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Got my Epson V500 finally. It only took half a month.

Set it up, and it's working perfectly, albeit slowly. Slower than my 4490, but hopefully that's because it's going to give me better results. :P

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:47 PM   #199
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That would make it worth it. As long as the results are better!

Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:09 PM   #200
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Trying a website called Thumbtack to put in bids for jobs. My first time using it and I'm trying to win a head-shot session.

A couple of hours worth of work for a nice piece of change. Hope I snag it.