ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old June 29th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Deaf Rider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Gear Indicator/Shift Light ideas?

I'm after a good solution for a gear indicator to run on an 05 250 along with possibly some kind of shift light.

I am a hearing impaired person and use cochlear implants. As I cannot fit the processors under my helmet I do trackdays entirely deaf and cannot hear my bike or any others. I manage pretty well using my legs to feel the bike's vibrations and I keep an eye on the tach in corners I know I run out of gear. I am a relatively new track rider (half-dozen or so days) and feel that I could benefit from such an aid.

Anyone have a good lead for a reliable add-on gear indicator that has little to no lag?
Deaf Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Shift lights are available from various sources, programmable for number of cylinders and the RPM you want to shift at.

I understand your need for a shift light, but I wonder if you really need a gear indicator. I don't have one on any motorcycle I own, and on the track it's just something else to make you look away from the track.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Shift lights are available from various sources, programmable for number of cylinders and the RPM you want to shift at.

I understand your need for a shift light, but I wonder if you really need a gear indicator. I don't have one on any motorcycle I own, and on the track it's just something else to make you look away from the track.
I had one on my 1979 Suzuki GS750 and I kind of miss it. I still toe for a 7th gear sometimes.

Bill

Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:20 PM   #4
kaos
ninjette.org member

Name: Trev

Motorcycle(s): GPX250

I've been looking into these for mine but only because the gauge I bought can display gear position. However the universal ones I've come across only work with the display they come with and won't output to the gauge I have. I think I really need an oem style one with actual contacts for each gear. You may have success playing with the ebay universal style ones though?

Old September 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I did a write-up awhile ago

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225213

Hope this helps

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2019, 12:14 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Since my TrailTech Vapour gauge only goes up to 12k-rpm, I use programmable shift-light feature to turn on red LED at 12500rpms (bike loses power after 11.5k-rpms anyway).

I was also contemplating gear-indicator that Ghostt has as well, but I’ve found myself counting gears in-step with markers on side of track. That’s kinda my in-progress lap-countre as I can tell when I’m on fast or slow lap based upon where I’m shifting. At Laguna Seca, shifting up to 4th entering turn-4 means I’m fast, shifting 4th after turn-4 means I’m on slow lap.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote