ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Oaklandish
ninjette.org member

Name: Rowan

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ninja 250

how much does tire size affect the final drive?

would increasing the front tire size equal less rpm at higher speeds? (like gearing)
Oaklandish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The size of the front tire has nothing to do with rpms of the engine, or gearing, is that what you meant?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The front tire hub has a gear and cable that runns the speedometer and trip meter.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Oaklandish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The size of the front tire has nothing to do with rpms of the engine, or gearing, is that what you meant?
I know gearing is what mainly determines rpm but i thought tire size influences it as well. isnt that why drag race cars have off set tires, for faster acceleration?

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm still not sure I follow. Drag cars have tiny front wheels because they don't need anything larger. The thinner and lighter they are, the less drag they have, so at very high speeds, the car can go that slight bit faster than it would with wider or heavier wheels. They still have nothing to do with the drive of the car (or the bike), and have nothing to do with the gearing, or the drivetrain at all, right?

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Oaklandish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm still not sure I follow. Drag cars have tiny front wheels because they don't need anything larger. The thinner and lighter they are, the less drag they have, so at very high speeds, the car can go that slight bit faster than it would with wider or heavier wheels. They still have nothing to do with the drive of the car (or the bike), and have nothing to do with the gearing, or the drivetrain at all, right?
i think you're following... my idea was this, wouldn't it take more rpm to push a bigger wheel? i might be wrong and its the same not matter what

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

No, the rpm's of the engine have nothing to do with the front wheel. If the rear wheel was taller, the rpm's of the wheel (and therefore the engine) would be slightly lower in proportion to the larger size of the wheel. It would be the same as going with slightly taller sprockets.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

The only thing that affects gearing other than gears/sprockets is the rear wheel diameter. The front will only affect the speedo reading.
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklandish View Post
I know gearing is what mainly determines rpm but i thought tire size influences it as well. isnt that why drag race cars have off set tires, for faster acceleration?
Yes, smaller diameter wheels will accelerate faster, but will not affect the Final Drive. Final Drive is speed vs. RPM. Acceleration is Time vs. speed.

So to answer your first post, a smaller tire circumference may allow you to accelerate slightly faster (probably not even noticeable), but won't do much for top speed. It does affect your speedometer reading in cars and bikes with electronic speedos, but not on our bikes since the speedo reads off the hub and is mechanical.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #11
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
bigger front tire = less miles on speedometer, and keep in mind changing your bike may produce an effect that you do not want.
Your still travelling the same distance?

Old July 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

tire size will not significantly effect your rpms at all on the subject of gearing, but it will require an increase of power to turn them because the added weight and drag. I know what you are asking because I asked the same thing in my first Auto-class in high school lol There was a lot of pain and pictures and yelling before it was explained to me in a way I understood ; but I assure you, alex is right, tire size will not 1. effect your rpms 2. effect your speed 3. change your acceleration/top speed on a gearing level (it is only top speed) will if you get a larger size. The reason drag cars have smaller fronts is like Alex said, less drag = faster accel; and like Thunder said, it will only change your acceleration very slightly, probably only hundreths and maybe tenths of a second (because sometimes that makes the difference on the strip)

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #13
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Silly readers. ANY change in the circumference of a tire will change the wheels RPM given a steady velocity. The question that should be asked is, "At what size will the change in rpms be noticeable?" THAT question should be answered thusly, "At no size that will make the vehicle behave the same will a tire change noticeably affect the wheels RPM."
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #14
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
Silly readers. ANY change in the circumference of a tire will change the wheels RPM given a steady velocity. The question that should be asked is, "At what size will the change in rpms be noticeable?" THAT question should be answered thusly, "At no size that will make the vehicle behave the same will a tire change noticeably affect the wheels RPM."
Only the diameter of the DRIVE tire will affect the final drive. The front tire is just an idler. It can be a roller blade wheel and the bike will still go the same speed, regardless of the rpm of the front tire. The only thing that may change with a different size front tire is the REPORTED speed, as the speedometer reading is taken off the front wheel.

Some of you need to sit through 6th grade science again. Simple machine #1 - the wheel.

The original question is vague, but alex is correct. Changing the size of the front tire will have no effect on the speed or gearing of the bike mechanically. Only the reported speed as the front wheel will be spinning at a different rpm.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #15
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
A smaller tire circumference may allow you to accelerate slightly faster
This is incorrect, as we're talking about the front tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
It does affect your speedometer reading, but not on our bikes since the speedo reads off the hub and is mechanical.
This is also incorrect, for the reason you stated. A smaller front tire would cause the front wheel (hub and all) to be turning at a higher rpm. It will effect the speedometer reading.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #16
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
This is incorrect, as we're talking about the front tire.

This is also incorrect, for the reason you stated. A smaller front tire would cause the front wheel (hub and all) to be turning at a higher rpm. It will effect the speedometer reading.
In regards to the our 250, we already experience up to a 10% discrepancy in speed. A slight change in tire size will not make a noticeable difference in the way the mechanical speedo reads.

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #17
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
We are talking about actually RPM which is engine speed. Not tires, so in this case your argument is true in a non relative way