ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old October 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #1
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

808 Camera replacement

I got a Mobius camera a week or two ago.

It is the successor to the 808 cameras. It is a much more squared off housing with a big fisheye lens on it.
  • Wide angle lens
  • 1080p30 / 720p30 / 720p60
  • mode switching in the field
  • auto on/off with power applied
  • better mounting system
  • runs a little longer on battery than 808v16
  • TV out

It's not waterproof... well it's about as waterproof as the 808 is. lol. I think I may pull saran wrap over it and snap into the mount if there's rain. It would be nice if they'd come up with a waterproof plastic case like go pro's have.

It'll take a 64 gig SD card. I'm very pleased with the color rendering and it doesn't seem to bloom too badly when looking at the sky. The 808 had a color setting that I had always set to one step closer to "warm", but this one has no adjustment... it seems fine.

The mounting system is a plastic clip that the camera fits into. They can be bought for about $3 each. They have a removable 1/4-20 mounting stud and/or you can glue them to anything. I've silicone RTV'ed mine to the top of my helmet whereas before I had the magnet mount for the 808 camera. If you do this, be sure to wrap the camera in saran wrap so the RTV doesn't stick it to the mount. The mounting plate has some little locking tabs that are quite secure. I've actually filed mine down a bit to reduce their grip strength.

The wide angle lens is the same as lens D in 720p30 and 1080 modes. If you switch to 720 60hz mode it simply crops the center of the image. So in 1080 mode it's wide angle, in 720p60 mode its "normal" angle. pitty. Maybe they'll scale the 1080 image down in a future version instead of cropping it. I got lucky mounting it to my helmet... the narrow angle view is still centered on the road in front of me.

If you pause the recording, you can switch video modes on the fly.

The TV out cable is different than the 808... it has sound. If you are going to mount this camera on a helmet, you might want to get the cable so you can be sure where it's aimed.

And finally, it switches on and off with power. You can tuck this away and have it come on and off when you ride.

Last futzed with by ai4px; October 18th, 2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: EDIT - Didn't realize the 720p30 was actually a wide angle... fixed the paragraph.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
I got a Mobius camera a week or two ago.
Got any sample video yet?

I was thinking, somebody should start a thread where forum members submit just 1 minute of video from their locale. We have riders from all over the world. It'd be interesting to have 1m of video from all of the different geo's, all in one thread. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera (yet), so it won't be me starting the thread.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #3
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
Got any sample video yet?

I was thinking, somebody should start a thread where forum members submit just 1 minute of video from their locale. We have riders from all over the world. It'd be interesting to have 1m of video from all of the different geo's, all in one thread. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera (yet), so it won't be me starting the thread.
That's a neat idea.... 60 seconds of video... VINES for motorcycles! Could be 60 sec straight or a compilation of various places nearby. In my area it would be something like... straight road, pine tree. double wide house trailer, straight road more pine trees, huge tractor on road, single wide trailer, more trees. snicker. It is a good idea though.

As for video, I scaled by 1080 down to 720 and posted on youtube the other day. Look for ai4px and red light runner . I can't link it since I'm at work and youtube is blocked.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

Quote:
I can't link it since I'm at work and youtube is blocked.
Looks like great quality video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
I got a Mobius camera a week or two ago............
Great post, Wes !!!

Here is additional review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Thansk for that link... you just made me realize that it shoots 720p30 at full width... I had only tested the 720p60, which is a narrower field of view.... holy cow! It's just what I wanted! I'll go correct my post from this morning!

Old October 19th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
rasta
Your face

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

When you say Auto on-off with power, do you mean it automatically starts recording?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #8
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
When you say Auto on-off with power, do you mean it automatically starts recording?
Yes, like a car dvr.

Old October 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
rasta
Your face

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Awesome. That's all I want! Thanks for the heads up
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote