ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Thumbs down I almost flew today...

After narrowly avoiding a car that pulled out in front of me while I was going 60mph on a 55mph road.

The road is 1 lane each way and there were cars lined up to pull onto the road from a crossing with a stop sign. First car pulls up to the right side of his lane, sees me, and stops, he is going to be going the same way I am. The car behind him (lets call him dipshit asshole) pulled up next to him to turn left (opposite way of me). I am quite positive dipshit asshole saw me coming and decided to pull out anyway. He pulls out onto the road (I'm not sure how far away I was from him) and I slam on the brakes and hit the horn (I'm kinda surprised I had that reaction) but there just isn't enough time to stop before hitting the car. While still on the brakes I swerved to the right side of the lane to avoid hitting dipshit asshole's car, which I missed by about a foot, and then swerved back to avoid hitting the first car that had pulled up to turn right. I evaded that car by a few feet. After going through the swerve I checked my speed and I was going 25mph after braking.

If I had been in my car there would have been a collision.

Glad to be alive

Hating terrible drivers even more
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Survival is key.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Glad to be alive

+1 I feel that now all I see are people that shouldn't be driving, don't drive well, or intentionally could care less about a person on a bike because I've been nearly wiped out by some idiot. I had the same situation a couple weeks ago. Dude looked right at me like we were making eye contact, then proceeded to turn when I was doing 45 and pretty close to where he was turning onto the road. Then later that day I had another do the same thing but this was on a one way street!wtf

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #4
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:

If I had been in my car i would have accelerated to kill dipshit asshole.
fixed
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
+1Dude looked right at me like we were making eye contact, then proceeded to turn when I was doing 45 and pretty close to where he was turning onto the road. Then later that day I had another do the same thing but this was on a one way street!wtf
Ride like you're invisible, even after making eye contact. Still assume he didn't see you and/or that he's out to kill you. There are some f-ed up people driving out there. Glad you're ok!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
If I had been in my car there would have been a collision.
Had it been me in my car, I can guarantee there would have been a collision, becuase I would not have hit the brakes. Time for an upgrade!
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Glad you're alright. Don't let oblivious people like that ruin your riding experience! Ally is right, always assume the cars don't see you and you'll be prepped for almost any possible incident.

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Wait wait wait.... cars SEE us? When did this start happening? I always thought they were too busy with the 9million things going on in their cage to see anything smaller than a semi. I mean they gotta have their coffee and smoke while calling home to yell at the kids. They can't be bothered with things like turn signals (who uses those things anyway pffft ) or checking blind spots (if you don't see them they must not be there) or caring about anyone else on the road (I mean you HAVE to watch out for number one, screw the rest). You can't expect them to see us. I mean when was the last time you noticed a cockroach when you were in a hurry to get somewhere?

/sarcasm off
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #9
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Glad you had time to take evasive action. Some would argue that instead of going 60 in a 55 you should have slowed down when you approached the situation and been well below the posted speed limit. Maybe 50 in a 55. That would have left you a much larger margin for the other person's error. That's why the MSF teaches the 12 second rule.

Old July 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #10
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Ride like you're invisible, even after making eye contact. Still assume he didn't see you and/or that he's out to kill you. There are some f-ed up people driving out there.
If they do anything stupid, I usually throw them the bird, just to know I gave some piece of what's was on my mind.
Those that do stop, cause they've seen me, I usually throw a wave of thanks

Glad your okay!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
Glad you had time to take evasive action. Some would argue that instead of going 60 in a 55 you should have slowed down when you approached the situation and been well below the posted speed limit. Maybe 50 in a 55. That would have left you a much larger margin for the other person's error. That's why the MSF teaches the 12 second rule.
I do look far ahead and I saw them lined up. When the first car pulled up I slowed down a bit because I was far enough away that he could have pulled onto the road and not murdered me. But when I saw that car stop I maintained my speed. Then the other guy pulled around him and looked at me and I let off the throttle a little but not all the way. Then when I saw that he just kept coming thats when I hit the brakes.

I'm not sure why he felt he needed to pull out before I passed, there were no other vehicles on the road that I was on.

After I avoided the collision I was looking for a spot to make a U-turn so I could go chase the guy down. It's probably a good thing that there wasn't a turn off for another few miles otherwise the guy and his car would have ended up at the bottom of the lake.
AFM #676

Old July 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Ride like you're invisible, even after making eye contact. Still assume he didn't see you and/or that he's out to kill you. There are some f-ed up people driving out there. Glad you're ok!
Yeah, Definitely ride as though we are invisible. I am amazed at how even when I feel I am in a spot that is easily seen and the bike is easily seen still people just don't seem to notice/care. Its kinda sad cause now all I see when I ride are a bunch of boxes that I want to get around or get away from cause all I see are a bunch of crap boxes with crappy drivers. Not saying everyone is a bad driver though.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:39 AM   #13
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Wait wait wait.... cars SEE us? When did this start happening? /sarcasm off
when your at a stop light and they ask you to wheelie duh!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM   #14
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
I wonder if his text message went through OK.

The vast majority of dipstick drivers that cause bike accidents are just stupid idiots. There are a small percentage of those that do it on purpose to hurt bikers. I don't know what that percentage is.

Yesterday I had to take the dog to the vet so I was in the car. I came across a guy in a red ninjette that had the front fairing sitting on the ground. The police were already there so I didn't stop. It looked like a biker hater had brake checked him. No sign of the car or driver.

Then at the very next light, there was a three car pile up and they were trying to pry the people out of their cars with the jaws of life. I'm wondering - Same scumbag that brake checked the ninjette trying to get away?? I guess I'll never know.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #15
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I've been a 'hood ornament' a few times, even taken a few 'door prizes' (when a drive exits a car and opens the door for you to hit).. on my bicycle and motorcycle.. after a few times you learn to look for ways out of impact instead of grabbing a handful of brakes as your first reaction..

It's difficult to undo the reflex of going for the brakes in similar situations, but most forget that there are ways out of impact than slowing down or stopping; looking for ways around the obstacle likely allow you to maintain more control of your vehicle and avoid impact... sometime even going off-pavement could be a valid option to avoid impact.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM   #16
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

WOW!!!!! I imagined you serving!!!

Were you geared up if anything did happen?

This goes back to my theory of....no matter how safely you drive...you CANNOT control the actions of others! GEAR Gear Gear!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
WOW!!!!! I imagined you serving!!!

Were you geared up if anything did happen?

This goes back to my theory of....no matter how safely you drive...you CANNOT control the actions of others! GEAR Gear Gear!
Everything but pants!
AFM #676