ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Choosing a safe spot to learn the basics...

... can be important. This guy didn't choose wisely:

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...arking-garage/

Quote:
A novice motorcyclist died when he plunged from the fifth floor of a parking garage near downtown after his motorcycle hit a low wall and he was thrown over it.

The death happened at 2929 Allen Parkway near Waugh about 5:50 p.m. Friday, according to the Houston Police Department.

Police said the 27-year-old man, whose name has not been released, died at the scene.

No other injuries were reported.

Police said the man was on the fifth floor of the parking structure learning to ride a motorcycle. His friend was walking alongside the man as he rode the motorcycle and teaching him how to operate it. At some point, the friend told the man to put on the brakes, but the man apparently accidentally hit the accelerator. The motorcycle slammed into a nearby wall and he was thrown over the wall and out of the parking garage.

Police are investigating the case.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Sad story....still trying to understand how he hit the accelerator on accident.

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

I had to ride my bike back from the dealer with no experience besides the MSF course. Not only that but I had never drove a stickshift and had only drove an automatic for about 2 weeks. I only messed up once when I was at a light and I was trying to shift into 1st gear although it was already in first and I held up traffic for about a minute. Besides that, I now have 350 miles on my bike and a couple close calls. Best advice: don't lane split at speeds higher than 25mph and don't get overconfident. Ride like you're invisible!
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
rough. i'm sure he was having fun until he hit the ground at least.

i have a picture in my mind that i would make if i wasn't so lazy... on one side its a biker flying off the top of a building, on the other is a biker flying off the side of a cliff. then below, a picture of a guy riding off in the dirt at a track. with the word "consequences" written on it

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
Best advice: don't lane split at speeds higher than 25mph and don't get overconfident. Ride like you're invisible!
25mph seems like quite a fast-clip to be lane splitting when all it takes is someone opening a car door and you'd be in deep s#%^. I don't lane split often, but when I do, it is more like 10-15mph. It pisses people off too, so be ready for them to try to stop you if they see you doing it. 25mph doesn't give you time to be ready when you're so close to those beside you.
Yes. My motto, ride like you're invisible to everyone. It will prevent many of those close calls.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
25mph seems like quite a fast-clip to be lane splitting when all it takes is someone opening a car door and you'd be in deep s#%^. I don't lane split often, but when I do, it is more like 10-15mph. It pisses people off too, so be ready for them to try to stop you if they see you doing it. 25mph doesn't give you time to be ready when you're so close to those beside you.
Yes. My motto, ride like you're invisible to everyone. It will prevent many of those close calls.
I only started riding a week or two ago and I learned my lesson for lane splitting at high speeds when someone hit their brakes so hard that I heard it while listening to music. Car drivers get mad for almost anything motorcycles do lol. Yeah I guess 25 mph would be too fast as well, but it really depends on how much space you have to move around.
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Be very careful doing things like lane splitting after on a couple of weeks of riding. Not trying to sound like your mama or anything, just focus on mastering the basics before practicing more advanced and more dangerous skills like lane splitting.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #8
ShadowStalk3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Pierre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Sad story....still trying to understand how he hit the accelerator on accident.
He probably went for the brake, and as he grab it he roll his hand back to give it more pressure and accelerate the bike.
ShadowStalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

wow. talk about bad luck. the friend was probably in shock.."but he was just here one second ago.."
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote