ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Sprockets and Chain

I'm looking to update my sprockets and chain. They're not completely worn out but I'm planning a 6,000km (12,000km maybe) trip and thought I'd upgrade what I can afford to instead of running into problems later.

The bike currently has ~17,500km.

1) JT, AFAM, Sunstar are all good manufacturers? Any personal/forum favourite here?

2) EK is good for chains? Any other recommendations?

3) If it doesn't specifically say "O-RING" in the name or description of the chain, it's not an o-ring chain right?

4) And just to make sure, I'm looking for a 106 link chain?

5) I read some posts/articles steering people away from aluminum and sticking with steel sprockets. Agree/disagree?

6) The stock chain doesn't have a master link right? So, the only way to remove it is to cut it off with a Dremel or use a chain tool like these: http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superst...20Rivet%20Tool ? Is there a cheaper way to remove the chain?

7) When buying a new chain, do they all come with a spare master link (is that what it's called?)? Or is it purchased separately? Also, if it's separate, do I have to compensate the excess number of links by shortening the chain?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
indr
ninjette.org guru

8) What is the usual time for a chain and sprocket change? Can't seem to find it in the manual.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

1 - Any of them will be fine.
2 - EK is OK, DID is better
3 - Sort of. There are tweaks on o-rings that are called x-rings, z-rings, maybe more. All of them are types of o-ring chains. An o-ring chain has lubrication that is sealed/stored within the links for the usable life of the chain.
4 - Yes
5 - Agree. Steel on any streetbike. The minor weight savings won't matter a whit unless the bike is racing identical bikes for tenths, and the steel will last many times longer.
6 - A mechanic friend I know uses a bolt cutter to remove chains. YMMV.
7 - I would think the chain comes with at least one master link. No, you don't need to get a 105 link chain + a master link. Get the 106, and make sure a master link comes with it. If not they can be ordered separately.
8 - Varies entirely based on riding environment and chain maintenance habits. Some will last 50k miles, some will last < 10k miles.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

From what I've read when researching Al sprockets, it seems a well-lubed one will last about 80% as long really, as opposed to a small fraction. As this is mostly on supersports bikes with "several" to "many" times the power of ours, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Al sprocket last for quite a while on a Ninjette.

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
From what I've read when researching Al sprockets, it seems a well-lubed one will last about 80% as long really, as opposed to a small fraction. A
It depends on use. I've seen it where steel sprockets outlast aluminum by multiples of 3 or more. It's probably related to the power of the bike as well, our machines are very easy on the drivetrain (thx to our quite moderate peak torque). There are hybrids available with lighter metal internally, but steel at the sprocket teeth themselves, to get some of the weight advantages.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #6
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Ah gotcha gotcha. My only personal concern is if I ever further upgrade my gearing, the only option for me is aluminum :P . But, I'd definitely go steel if I could, just to have one less "what if."

Old February 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
indr
ninjette.org guru

Appreciate the replies.

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
indr
ninjette.org guru

Can I get some input on whether this sprocket looks worn and if it's good for another 10,000 km.

Old February 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #9
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I would be interested to see what a hard anodized sprocket wears like on the 250R, like has been previously mentioned the relatively low torque output on these bikes and proper maintenance should have them lasting a very long time.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote