ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Installing Footpeg Extenders

I saw this product a few weeks back and I liked the idea of being able to experiment with peg placement. Most rearsets run roughly $300 and I didn't want to spend that much on something that I may not like. Plus, I wanted a set of adjustable rearsets that I could move around to fit me.

This product is a bit different and say innovative in the way it accomplishes the rearward placement of the pegs. You get a pair of "plates" that you install between the stock location on the frame and the footpeg brackets. Sounded like a good idea to me and the seller, Dennis was nice enough to deal with, so I ordered a set. It took about week to get here, coming from Malaysia.

FEDEX dropped off the package and this is what you get...

unwrap it and you have 2 plates, 4 bolts with washers and nuts and an extended shifter linkage rod.

close up of the plates

He also emails you a set of instructions, so armed with a printed set of instructions, I head out to the garage and put the bike up ready for it's operation. I swear the bike cringes every time I put it up on that rear stand worrying about which part is going to be violated next.

Left Side Peg Install
first step is to remove the shifter link. break both the lock nuts loose and turn. the threads are reversed threaded form each other, so twist away and the link unscrews itself form both ends at the same time.

next, remove the stock foot peg bracket.

The blue tape is the approximate location of the footpegs before the install. I wanted to see how far back the plates was going to move the peg and needed a reference.

install the plate to the bike with 2 of the allen bolts supplied

Next, mount the stock footpeg brackets using the same screws you took off earlier. Some nuts and washers are provided in the kit. I selected the set of holes in the extender that would give me the most forward and lowest position. I ran into problems with this selection, but more on that later.

Next we need to install the new shift link using the lock nuts from the old link and threading it back onto the bike.

When I tried to put the link on, I found it was too long with the peg position I had selected. I had to move the pegs back another set of holes so the link would fit. I also had to rotate one end of the shift linkage on the splined portion of the shift shaft to make room for the link length.

notice the angle of the linkage on the splined shaft and also notice the adjustment on the provided shift link is made as short as it can go.

Some shots of the completed install on the left side peg.

So how far does it move the pegs? Remember the blue tape? Using that as my guide it moves the peg back about 2 1/2 inches from it's original location.

Some additional photos of the peg in it's finale position.

Go back and make sure to tighten all the bolts up. I didn't use any loctite as I will be experimenting with the different peg adjustment holes once I ride the bike and suit to taste. Once I select a final location, I will loctite the bolts into place.

Right Side Peg Install

As the left side, start with removing the footpeg bracket.

The right side is a bit easier, but it does have it's problems, too. Install the plate to the frame using the allens supplied and install the footpeg bracket onto the plate the same way you did on the left and of course selecting the same set of holes you did on the other side.

After you get everything mounted up you notice the problem. The brake hose now protrudes into the wheel well a lot more and would be touched by the tire if left as is. The instructions tell you how to deal with the problem, but I will be relocating my reservoir ala' Vex in the future to the vacant space left from the airbox removal, so all I wanted to do today was to get the hose out of the way.

I carefully and gently routed the brake hose next to the exhaust hanger and zip tied it to that bracket.

Completed install on the right side.

Full side view-

So once I'm done, I sit on the bike and find... I like it!!! With the stock peg location, I always felt like it put you in an upright position with your feet located right under you. I understand that as a standard, they do not want the seating position very radical for beginner riders. These plates change all that and gives you a very sporty, layed down feel. By moving the pegs back, you cant a bit forward when sitting and the bike feels roomier for your legs. it also pushes you back a bit and alleviates the boys against the tank I was getting with the clipons and the stock peg location.

Th kit does exactly what it advertises. It gives you adjustable rearsets at a fraction of the current offerings. The parts seem sturdy and the holes lined up perfectly. The quality of paint could be better... in fact powdercoating would be great. And the problem I had with the shift link being too long was most likely due to me using the forward most set of holes initially. I can see the rod that is supplied working for all the other hole locations. Still, it does seem a bit too long. Perhaps if 2 rods were included... the one I got plus another about 1/2 inch shorter.

In all, a thumbs up to an innovative solution to low cost rearsets. It works.

If interested, send Ride2Max a PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Cooooooommmmme on tax return check! Daddy needs to relocate his pegs!
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
kkim

lol... just save your money and don't be spending it all down in wakiwaki!!

keep your eyes on the hands, not the hips....

Last futzed with by kkim; March 14th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #4
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

You sure love your zip-ties!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #5
kkim

I wish I had invented them. I'd be retired right now.

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #6
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

zip ties are the cat's meow. !! At Fastenol they have huge ones for sale.
42"+You could use em to build something big.

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
42"+You could use em to build something big.
hmmmm...

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #8
zartan

Oh I forgot to say nice DIY and what a great kit.

Should I send you a brake reservoir cozy??

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
kkim

LOL... thanks, Z, for the cozy offer, but I intend to move the reservoir into a spot where it won't be seen... really... sometime soon... very soon... um, when I get around to it... maybe... ahhh... I just need to get off my fat ass and do it.

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #10
thebulbousone
ninjette.org member

Name: mason

what,with shipping,did he end up charging you? i want a set of these...
thebulbousone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #11
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13853

read his thread and send him a PM on pricing.

I paid 90 for the kit and 40 shipping.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #12
zartan

I was thinking Holy cats so much for shipping then saw they were coming from overseas.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #13
kkim

yes, unfortunately shipping from that region of the world is ungodly expensive. I can't figure out why.

lots of great products from vendors there that are reasonably priced, but by the time you add in shipping, they usually lose the price advantage. Fortunately, in this product's case, there are no reasonable alternatives that I've found to relocate the pegs and even with the high shipping involved, it is a reasonable solution, in terms of cost vs concept, in my eyes.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #14
zartan

Yes I agree. Things and service just cost money that is that.!!
I want to streamline my cost on my Exhaust hangers but am determined to use local labor.
The kit for the pegs is a great alternative and still cost effective even with shipping.

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wonder why he didnt tap the holes? < instead of using nuts........

This thread reminds of when people start yelling at somebody, for doing a exhaust on a budget. You get - bla bla bla...... save some money & buy the real thing(rearsets)

I like the idea of saving money
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #16
zartan

Quote:
This thread reminds of when people start yelling at somebody, for doing a exhaust on a budget. You get - bla bla bla...... save some money & buy the real thing(rearsets)
sorry if you mistook my concern for the shipping costs.

??? I think everyone likes the idea of a kit and when I realized it was international shipping was why shipping was expensive it made more sense. . I don't think anyone was yelling or dissin the kit??
Like I said I think it is a great alternative but was wondering why the shipping was high !
I love all the aftermarket ideas that have come out.

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #17
kkim

Z- Kerry was referring to an entirely different thread and wasn't commenting on your remarks.

I think his message was "cheap alternatives to solutions are good".

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #18
zartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Z- Kerry was referring to an entirely different thread and wasn't commenting on your remarks.

I think his message was "cheap alternatives to solutions are good".
thanks for correcting me!!
I just couldn't figure that out. I have the flu and my brain fells like it has been in a churchbell. sorry if I
misunderstood you Mr.H !
Posted via Mobile Device lying in bed whining about being sick driving tr crazy
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #19
kkim

lol.. it's 6pm there... he's most likely already has had a number of rum and cokes, so I don't think much will bother him at this point. Perhaps you could subscribe to the same medication as him?

get well soon, Z.

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Ninja007
忍者

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): None Now - Used to have an '08 Ninja 250R Candy Blue

sweet write up kkim! i ordered a set and my set came a few days ago. i have spring break next week, I wonder what I'll be doing...
Ninja007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #21
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
LOL... thanks, Z, for the cozy offer, but I intend to move the reservoir into a spot where it won't be seen... really... sometime soon... very soon... um, when I get around to it... maybe... ahhh... I just need to get off my fat ass and do it.
Did I put my rear brake reservoir relocation DIY over here? Hrmm. It's one of the easier things to do actually and strangely I haven't seen any other 250's around here that've done it (actually very few people at all)

Furthermore I'd like to move my rearsets, but I'm thinking this summer I might just save up and pick up a set of rearsets (the kind that come with a 6R or CBR600RR attached to them). I figured I need more of a selection of motorcycles in my garage.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #22
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Nice DIY Kelly. When you say it "feels roomier for your legs" do you mean you are actually getting more leg extension than the stock position, or that it just "feels" roomier? I'd really like to get more leg extension since my legs can cramp up on long rides, but I don't want it to affect cornering clearance or make me have to lay down on the tank because my legs are too far behind the seat. How much of an improvement would this be for us guys with long legs? Is the 2.5" shift in position of the pegs really noticeable the first time you get on the bike after installing them? Or does it just feel slightly different?
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #23
ride2max
ninjette.org member

Name: Cheng

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja250r

Thanks alot kelly for the review.
ride2max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #24
kkim

Wayne,

If I remember correctly, it's about the same as a set of any of the other rearsets that are on the market. I would recommend to find someone who has rearsets on the their bikes to answer your questions as everyone will differ. It does feel roomier for me, but that might be only in my case.

It moves the pegs 2 1/2" rearward. Other than that, I can't say what that would mean for you. It does increase ground clearance, though, not reduce it.

When you jump on the bike, you notice the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Nice DIY Kelly. When you say it "feels roomier for your legs" do you mean you are actually getting more leg extension than the stock position, or that it just "feels" roomier? I'd really like to get more leg extension since my legs can cramp up on long rides, but I don't want it to affect cornering clearance or make me have to lay down on the tank because my legs are too far behind the seat. How much of an improvement would this be for us guys with long legs? Is the 2.5" shift in position of the pegs really noticeable the first time you get on the bike after installing them? Or does it just feel slightly different?

Old March 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #25
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

thanks for the write up. I'm not near my bike right now im actually in JFK waiting for a flight to BUF. Is it possible to lower the shift lever position from where you have it in the pics to compensate for the peg move backward? What about the brake Is that adjustable aswell. Sorry Just cant recall the mechanical make up of everything after a 14Hr layover. Thanks again KKIM
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #26
kkim

As soon as I ride the bike I'll adjust the shifter height. I hope there is enough adjustment on the splined shaft so I can rotate the connecting point down a bit if I need to. this was the reason I was asking about a shorter shift link.

The brake pedal stays as a unit with the footpeg bracket, so not adjustment needs to be there. I should have taken a picture of it when to was off the bike so you could see all that stays connected to the bracket when removed, but I didn't. Sorry.

Old March 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #27
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

thanks for helping me decide kkim. I wasn't sure if I wanted to mess with brake hose but it seems like the zip ties will do the trick. Im probably going to order these this coming week. Also how much do you think they raise upward from the original postion (in the highest setting).
Shift250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #28
kkim

compare the two pics and you can get a rough idea. I didn't measure the rise. ... I'd guess about an inch??

Old March 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #29
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

thanks, looks about an inch and thats because your on the lowest setting. awesome I cant wait to get mine. How long did it take for you to recieve them and were you able to use paypal.

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #30
kkim

little less than a week in shipping and yes, Dennis is set up to accept Paypal.

I did have to wait about a week before he shipped as he had to make a set after I ordered. I'm sure he's been busy making more so he must have an inventory of sets by now. Ask if/when you place your order.

Old March 15th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #31
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Wayne,

If I remember correctly, it's about the same as a set of any of the other rearsets that are on the market. I would recommend to find someone who has rearsets on the their bikes to answer your questions as everyone will differ. It does feel roomier for me, but that might be only in my case.

It moves the pegs 2 1/2" rearward. Other than that, I can't say what that would mean for you. It does increase ground clearance, though, not reduce it.

When you jump on the bike, you notice the difference.
Thanks for the info. Please follow up with your riding impressions once you've had time to adjust the pegs to your liking. I'm really curious about this product, but I'd like to see some more detailed ride reviews to decide if it's right for me.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #32
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Same here Kkim, I'm on the fence about buying them, but they look really nice.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #33
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

kkim,

I think in one post you mentioned that you're 5'7". I'm 6'2". Based on your knowledge/use, do you think I could benefit from these extenders? I'm really sitting on the fence with them.

Thanks
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #34
kkim

Sorry, guys (and gals)... I would want to say one way or another for sure, but my guess is that it would be roomier. It seems roomier for me, at least, but I have a 28-29" inseam.

The best way, if you are unsure, would be to find another 250R w/ rearsets already installed and try them out. Doesn't matter the brand, they all seem to relocate the pegs back and up about the same amount.

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #35
ride2max
ninjette.org member

Hi Sam,

As for me, i'm 6 feet and my friend is 6'1" using the same extender, both of us still ride on comfort according to our own adjustment.

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Just ordered mine along with a pair of woodcrafts clipons. I cant wait to see what the new position will be like.

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #37
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Hmmmm.... I think me likies!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #38
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2max View Post
Hi Sam,

As for me, i'm 6 feet and my friend is 6'1" using the same extender, both of us still ride on comfort according to our own adjustment.
Thanks for the info. With my leather pants on, I'm constantly sliding forward into the tank even though I try to squeeze the tank with my knees. Are your knees more in the groove below the tank?
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #39
ride2max
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Thanks for the info. With my leather pants on, I'm constantly sliding forward into the tank even though I try to squeeze the tank with my knees. Are your knees more in the groove below the tank?

Welcome sam, Usually i will wear either nylon or cotton riding pants, so my knees wont slide forward into the tank. Later i will try to post few photos of my riding position.

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #40
ride2max
ninjette.org member

Here the photo i promise.

Left side.

Right Side.