ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 28th, 2023, 08:38 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Useful addition?

If you could add a single bike to your stable, one that would be highly useful to have, what would it be? Main goal: usefulness and cost effective.

I only have minimotos. So for me, having something to go long distances with some storage would be amazing. Probably a Vulcan S with a small windscreen and luggage, with a backrest for a passenger.

That would be the most cost effective useful bike to get for me.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2023, 09:30 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I added it in 2020. It's a Yamaha MT-07. It's comfortable on short and long rides, carries my tail bag and saddle bags well, handles great in the twisties, weighs 400 lbs, and for me, averages mid 60s MPG. As a bonus, it was $8,150 new, out the door.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 13th, 2023, 01:55 AM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, personally I think going a big street bike is a mistake.... I went that route once, I got a VT1100 Honda just because it was BIG.... and it was ! but it takes 3 men and a small boy to pick it up if it falls over ! at over 800lbs ! it's weight is low however so I could do it myself on a good day with the adrenaline flowing
.... but there is no real advantage to having a great big bike that I can see
a 500cc to 750cc is more than plenty for cruising with. the problem with that is most of that size range are sport bikes, and 90% of them are not something I want to be on for 500 miles at a time. Harleys are built strong but are too heavy in my book but they do cruise better than most, the rider position is superb on a Harley usually. but the added weight of that big mill makes them impractical for anything but long trips
for trips on a bike you want the upright sitting position not leaning forward
like on most crotch rockets leg position is also important extra
"Highway pegs" really do help alot on long trips. handle bars at slightly lower than shoulder height makes for a comfortable ride but having your hands that high does take some getting used too most handle bars are about waste high..... slightly higher than that is great, but by no means higher than your shoulders, you cannot control the bike good enough when the hands are that high....
the best advice I can give a person on getting a cruiser is Don't ! just use the bike you ride daily !if you are wanting to tour the US and spend hundreds of hours in the saddle then yes you need a cruiser.... but going too big is a big mistake.... for me the biggest bike I will ever own now is a 750cc no need to go bigger and it's light enough for me to horse around

My Cruiser now is a Old 1977 Triumph Bonnyville 750cc it has no hard cases on it yet, and it is pirty much stock but it is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned..... except for the Buzz you get after an hour of riding, that big twin does vibrate alot ! but I know I can grab my back pack strap it on the back with bungee cords and go to Alaska if I so desire...the bike can handle it.... I doubt I could though ! LOL
Your ideas of what a good bike for you are far more important than other peoples opinions of what a good bike is, bikes come in all shapes and sizes
and sense your bikes are on the small size I suggest you get a USED midsized bike a 500cc or so bike one that can cruise at 80mph all day (most of them will do that) and ride that for a few months and see what your desires tell you then.... you may say bigger is indeed better or you may say that the 500cc is more than enough .... and you can add luggage capacity to any bike
so anything really can become Your Cruiser !
A Honda 450cc is a gem of a bike but are getting hard to find they have the power and reliability you need for Cruising
.... it's a thought
Bob.....

Old August 13th, 2023, 03:39 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I would get this:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...o-stroke/2022/
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2023, 03:58 AM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL ! Danno I don't think ANY state is going to liscnses that bike even if you went over there and bought it and brought it back yourself.... but a 74hp 250cc bike has got to be a blast to ride LOL
I have no doubt California would never allow it in the state ! the left wing radicals have taken over the government here !
I saw a 50hp wankle motor that is no bigger than a B&S 3hp motor....
that put on a small bike frame would be a Killer ! HAHAHAH
....... never mind that it cost about 15,000 each
Bob....

Old August 13th, 2023, 02:41 PM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Wow, Danno, that's pretty.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2023, 04:55 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
LOL ! Danno I don't think ANY state is going to liscnses that bike even if you went over there and bought it and brought it back yourself.... but a 74hp 250cc bike has got to be a blast to ride LOL
I have no doubt California would never allow it in the state ! the left wing radicals have taken over the government here !
I saw a 50hp wankle motor that is no bigger than a B&S 3hp motor....
that put on a small bike frame would be a Killer ! HAHAHAH
....... never mind that it cost about 15,000 each
Bob....
I still kick myself for selling my RZ350 way back when. Engine was marvelous while frame & suspensions were crap.

Langen is 60-lbs lighter with 25% more power! It also passes Euro-5 emissions, which is tougher than CA standards and includes noise-limit as well. With modern EFI, you can time injection just before transfer port closes for clean exhaust on 2-stroke engine!

CA's CARB isn't really about emissions, they're some sort of power-hungry neo-Nazi group intent on gathering power and taxing everything for their own gains!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2023, 05:44 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah My Dad had a Yamaha 350cc twin 2 stroke it wheelied on a twist of the grip any time.... my rotary disk valve 2 stroke Kawasaki 350 would also wheelie after I modified it quite a bit...( it was alot heavier than the yamaha ) , but Dad could take me in a drag race every time !
I love 2 strokes and having one with EFI has got to be the cat's meow !
that is what I did for many years port and polish 2 strokes, used a drill and rotary file and opened up the transfer ports that made a world of difference in how they ran.
Bob.....