Shes not a hooker!! Shes a friend!

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #42
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I got news for you idiots, THATS NOT THE FAST LANE AND I"M NOT MOVING UNTIL I FLIP YOU OFF AND YOU HAVE TO CHASE ME DOWN!
KC, I'm not surprised you get people tailgating. What some people probably don't understand is that being tailgated in a car is annoying, but when you're on a bike it's like someone pointing a gun in your face. I don't think people get it.

But really, you're basically trolling for trouble if you want to stay in the fast lane regardless of how fast people behind you want to go. Aren't you being the ass? 75 is the 'normal' speed in these parts. People want to go faster, why wouldn't you let them? I guess if the other lanes are congested I can understand you wanting to hold your position, but otherwise...
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #43
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

NO good can come of it...

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #44
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post

But really, you're basically trolling for trouble if you want to stay in the fast lane regardless of how fast people behind you want to go. Aren't you being the ass? 75 is the 'normal' speed in these parts. People want to go faster, why wouldn't you let them? I guess if the other lanes are congested I can understand you wanting to hold your position, but otherwise...
In the state of Texas, it is illegal to be in the left lane if another car is going faster than you.

However, personally, if someone is going atleast 5 over, and were in thelane before me, it's a non-issue. I tend to get annoyed when I'm doing whatever speed I'm doing and a car pulls infront of me and slows me down. Illegal.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #45
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
In the state of Texas, it is illegal to be in the left lane if another car is going faster than you.
I think that's common.

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #46
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
Remember your training. The knees are always vulnerable. The force of your palm violently coming up to hit the bottom bridge of his nose.
haha.

And kicking the side of the car next to you only works on Sons of Anarchy.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #47
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

Quote:
KC, I'm not surprised you get people tailgating. What some people probably don't understand is that being tailgated in a car is annoying, but when you're on a bike it's like someone pointing a gun in your face. I don't think people get it.

I think the issue, or complaint, is that he was in the carpool lane when this lunatic was trying to kill him. The carpool lane is not a passing lane, and is treated differently than the other lanes on the freeway. If they are like Utah it's illegal to move in and out of the carpool lane when there are double white lines (and in some places I've seen there is a concrete curb separating the lane).

I wholeheartedly agree with left lane hogs being the curse of all humanity, but there is never an excuse for driving 2 feet away from someones tail.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #48
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:

or like someone pointing a gun at the back of your head
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #49
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The best thing you can do is pull off somewhere safe and be done with it. I have tailed people to the point of making them squirrely and unpredictable, but it really got neither of us anywhere. Now I just take 10 minutes in a random parking lot to cool my head. Better than doing something hot-headed and getting injured over it
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #50
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

I love these comments
"In texas it's illegal to move slower then the car behind you"... Thats easy, here in the NY, the laws of physics apply, moving slower then the car behind you would result in the car hitting you!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #51
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

DDGit was right.

Drop it like a sizzling cast iron pan and focus on the road ahead. We all know that a good amount of cagers dont even see an 18 wheeler barreling down towards them and if they do they dont have an idea on the course of action. They are not just paying attention on driving anymore. Esp with hand held devices readily available to cagers, the more we have to be alert to them and not be eaten up with raw emotions. Our own survival first then flip them and ride away.

It would be easy for me to do something about it if I am driving but on a bike - presence of mind is our ally in all situations. Listen to ur own Jiminy Cricket & dont make an "a$$" of urself. Dont worry, I'm talking to mee too.

Ride safe out there comrades!!!

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #52
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I guess dropping the incident like a hot plate would also improve my peace of mind, but really, I know of someone who's been in multiple single-vehicle car wrecks who never stops to reflect about the cause of her accidents... like, she drives too fast... what can I learn? I guess the only thing I could have done was have been more visible. The neon green jacket, or something. I had about a millisecond to catch this guys attention though...

As my MSF advisor said - to wear a clown suit just get visible. Now that I'm riding - it does make sense.

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #53
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I have def. Flipped a few people off and sometimes, if it was really bad, flip up my shield, look in their eyes and make sure they can see exactly what I saying

Never got off the bike or pulled over or anything though..

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #54
U5er
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I usually just ride their ass until we have to make a full stop. Then I filter right beside the driver's window and stare into his/her eyes. After a few seconds of silent, motionless staring, I slowly shake my head in dissapointment. I only do this with my smoke visor for the extra mysterious look.

I've only done it twice.
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #55
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5er View Post
I usually just ride their ass until we have to make a full stop. Then I filter right beside the driver's window and stare into his/her eyes. After a few seconds of silent, motionless staring, I slowly shake my head in dissapointment. I only do this with my smoke visor for the extra mysterious look.

I've only done it twice.
Dont do that!! bad bad bad idea.... If they slam on your brakes your ****ed

Ask me how I know.... poor 636

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #56
U5er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Dont do that!! bad bad bad idea.... If they slam on your brakes your ****ed

Ask me how I know.... poor 636
Oh, I didn't mean that I tailgate them. Just that I follow them. One car space behind like a responsible and safe motorcyclist.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #57
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
One car space behind like a responsible and safe motorcyclist.
One car space at highway speeds just isn't enough to avoid the unexpected. Not only if they slam on the brakes for any reason, but also to avoid any debris coming under the car that you don't see ahead of time.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #58
U5er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
One car space at highway speeds just isn't enough to avoid the unexpected. Not only if they slam on the brakes for any reason, but also to avoid any debris coming under the car that you don't see ahead of time.
I have yet to taste the highway. But the heads up is appreciated.

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #59
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Ive had some pretty scary moments of dodging **** on the road, and not even tailgating, just random things flying around. Or having to dodge a tumble weed that come out of no where! That was scary

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #60
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Dude, so using rocks, we should make a undertail deployment system activated by a button! (No I'm not kidding)
i've heard of guys filling their pockets with marbles before they go riding so they can throw them at peoples windows if they get f*cked with. the marble will most likely crack their window
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #61
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I have yet to taste the highway. But the heads up is appreciated.
I don't know if you're riding yet, but you really should -- for your safety -- know about stopping distances. It's so important.

Here is a pdf which shows an estimate for stopping distance depending on your speed. That PDF is provided by the British government - it's not something written by some random dude on the net!

Bare in mind this chart is for a car. It's probably best to assume the distance is a bit further on a bike as you (presumably being a Ninjette rider) don't have ABS and you, being a motorcyclist, don't have four wheels to maintain balance while you slam on the breaks. Motorcyclists have to be more careful with the breaks to ensure they don't become unbalanced and tip over.

The 2 second rule is quite a simple and practical way of making sure you are far enough from a potential hazard (eg a car) and have enough time to brake. Pick a spot on the road, when the car passes over that spot start counting. There should be 2 or more seconds before you go over/past that same spot.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #62
ironglory
ninjette.org member

They say the most ideal with a car is 1 car apart per 10mph. On a bike - better do twice but in the real world, always scan ur surroundings and presence of mind. Always think of the next best thing if worst comes to worst.

Letting go of the situation. I know this is a challenge for me too.

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #63
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
When I'm in my car and in the fastlane, if I'm going 75-80 and someone starts tailgating me, I slow down to the same speed as other cars until they get out of the lane then I slam on the gas and get away from them.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #64
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean that I tailgate them. Just that I follow them. One car space behind like a responsible and safe motorcyclist.
The safest way is the 3 second rule, stay no closer than 3 full seconds behind the back bumper of the car in front of you, regardless of the speed. So at highway speeds you should be farther apart than at 35mph.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #65
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Usually I give people the point to the head and shake my head like they are the failure of the earth. I also do the pretend phone with the fingers and act like I'm hanging it up when I see an idiot jabbering away with no care at all. Be Safe out there guys.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #66
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

In my experience.. Drivers will always be in denial. I got squished between the curb and a bus on my bicycle (the bus was hitting me and the curb was scraping my tire) while it pulled over for a stop. I eventually got out of it, came around and slammed on the bus window the entire way down. The driver flicked me off, and I just rode in his way the entire way down, going faster than him anyways. Eventually he had to stop at another stop, so I lost him.

So, problems:
1. It's a university bus, so I really should have just gotten the number of the bus, but I was so pissed off I didn't think about it.
2. Bicycle vs Bus; self explanatory.
3. Driver only got more mad. Again, bicycle vs bus.

So, bear in mind that most cars are bigger than us. If they piss you off, let them go. As a bad driver, it's better to let them slide by, unless you really think they didn't see you. Or they look like they feel terrible (hard to tell, really). Tailgating is only a recipe for disaster.

To give an example, I brake checked a guy who pulled out in front of me (two lanes over in my car) after I swerved around him and he nearly hit me (which I would have been fine with). In a car, it's no big deal. On a motorcycle, you WILL fall and/or injure yourself.

However, I will do the following:
If someone is driving terribly or cuts out in front of me, and I ride behind them seeing that they are on the cell phone. I will pass them doing the hand-phone/banana and 'hang it up.' If you can drive with a phone, fine, but if you can't do it well, don't do it at all. (like Jeremy said) I too do the headshake, which is more for personal gratification.

Next time, if you have time, just honk your horn, they may not hear it, but it will make you feel better. Then, if you're in no particular hurry, take a short detour, like a right turn, left turn, right turn to give them time to get out of sight. We all make mistakes, so sometimes it's good to give them the benefit of the doubt.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #67
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Defendor would sooo rig his Ninjette up with an undertail marble deployment system!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I wana see that :O

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #68
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I wana see that :O
It's really fun!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #69
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
So I had a close call last weekend: a minivan rolled through a stop sign turning right on Hwy 1 and didn't see me.
Man, if I confronted every driver that did that I'd never get anywhere.

Quote:
Would you confront the driver in this situation? Can anything good come of confronting drivers?
Maybe, and no. Every now and again I'll roll up next to the offender and just stare at them through the driver's side window. Or rap my CF knuckles on their window.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #70
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

I drop around to the right side, and punch there passenger side mirror off with my clutch hand, then gun it.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote