ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow .......and was the other 34% brain dead ???

10% of traffic fatalities happen in accidents induced by distracted drivers.

This is what 62% of those drivers have been doing:

http://auto.erieinsurance.com/distra...fographic.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DistractedDrivingInfographic.jpg (176.6 KB, 60 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

I just had the most ingenious idea ever.

All cars be equipped with something, where as soon as you start the ignition, a frequency emits that disables all phones inside the vehicle.

SOME WILL SAY ITS INSANE, BUT THEY SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT THE TOASTER OVEN TOO
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
I just had the most ingenious idea ever.

All cars be equipped with something, where as soon as you start the ignition, a frequency emits that disables all phones inside the vehicle.

SOME WILL SAY ITS INSANE, BUT THEY SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT THE TOASTER OVEN TOO
Nothing new, I've been saying this since 2002 when I first got my drivers licence.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

That way, if there is an incident, nobody can call for help...

... or, just to take this to the next step, a criminal could disable a victim's ability to get help with his own (or the victim's) car.

OK, I'm just devil's advocate here. Actually, I was nearly obliterated by a kid turning left into me at 90 mph combined (45 mph each, opposite directions, he turned through me trying to make the freeway entrance) texting (in an F-150) followed by his GF and other friend in separate cars after; he didn't begin to brake until after he hit me. Fortunately in that one I was in a tank (Ford Windstar) and even so he pushed the frame in 3 inches.

Still, I'm not a big fan of new laws; there's already "reckless driving" and it just needs to be enforced. I'll summarize MI's version:

- reckless and no injuries: misdemeanor, 93 days, $500
- reckless and injuries: felony, 5 years, $5000, forfeit vehicle
- reckless and death: felony, 15 years, $10000, forfeit vehicle

"Reckless" in this section is "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property" and, if I were an officer, I'd apply it to bad driving due to phones, food, or any of the other dum things people do when driving.

Start applying existing law like this and people will wake up; you don't need a new law for every new distraction.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Distracted driver accidents are not up from before cell phones. People who let themselves get distracted will have no problem finding something else to distract them. Rubberneckers at number 2. Don't get me wrong I would like to see no one making phone calls when they are driving but talking to a passenger is just as bad and I would love to see how you stop that. The problem is driving a cage is mind numbing and the only way to stop that is to take humans out of the equation. That day is coming.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Distracted driver accidents are not up from before cell phones. People who let themselves get distracted will have no problem finding something else to distract them. Rubberneckers at number 2. Don't get me wrong I would like to see no one making phone calls when they are driving but talking to a passenger is just as bad and I would love to see how you stop that. The problem is driving a cage is mind numbing and the only way to stop that is to take humans out of the equation. That day is coming.
You sir, are correct.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Driving a cage isn't mind numbing to me. I love driving my car, almost as much as I love driving my motorcycle. It's the individual who cannot focus on driving that makes driving a car mind numbing.

And as far as a discussion with a passenger being just as distracting as a cell phone, that is complete garbage. A passenger can see what is going on around your car. When traffic gets heavy or crazy, conversations modify themselves. Passengers take breaks during crazy times. They can help point out things that the driver might have missed. Someone on a cell phone has no clue that you just got cut off, or that traffic up ahead in 1/4 mile is dead stopped, but the passenger CAN see that, and studies have generally proven that passenger discussions are not nearly as distracting as talking on a phone.

There are already bluetooth devices out there that will disable a phone, aside from emergency calls, once the car is moving. IMO, this is a great technology, and my child's cell phone will be equipped with it once he starts driving, but there are too many adults who are too stubborn to accept that they should put their phone down while in the car for the technology to be implemented on every car.

I love riding next to someone who is on their phone while driving, downshifting, and just blasting my yoshi in their face until they finally get so pissed off they either turn off the road, speed up, or drastically slow down.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Start applying existing law like this and people will wake up; you don't need a new law for every new distraction.
But but but we are idiots, we need our hands held, and the world safely sanitized against our own stupidity so that we don't get hurt. I mean everything and everyone is out to get us right? We aren't capable of evaluating risks and weighing them intelligently and making informed decisions for ourselves. My god man, what you are suggesting is :gasp: personal responsibility!!

:runs screaming:
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Driving a cage isn't mind numbing to me. I love driving my car, almost as much as I love driving my motorcycle. It's the individual who cannot focus on driving that makes driving a car mind numbing.
I am so happy for you I wish that were true for more people

Quote:
And as far as a discussion with a passenger being just as distracting as a cell phone, that is complete garbage. A passenger can see what is going on around your car. When traffic gets heavy or crazy, conversations modify themselves. Passengers take breaks during crazy times. They can help point out things that the driver might have missed. Someone on a cell phone has no clue that you just got cut off, or that traffic up ahead in 1/4 mile is dead stopped, but the passenger CAN see that, and studies have generally proven that passenger discussions are not nearly as distracting as talking on a phone.
That is true for adults but not for teens.

Quote:
There are already bluetooth devices out there that will disable a phone, aside from emergency calls, once the car is moving. IMO, this is a great technology, and my child's cell phone will be equipped with it once he starts driving, but there are too many adults who are too stubborn to accept that they should put their phone down while in the car for the technology to be implemented on every car.

I love riding next to someone who is on their phone while driving, downshifting, and just blasting my yoshi in their face until they finally get so pissed off they either turn off the road, speed up, or drastically slow down.
That cool, but I wonder how that goes over with other drivers who are not on the phone but are stuck next to you while you are playing enforcer?

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
............... personal responsibility!!
I wonder how many members of our society understand that concept........
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I wonder how many members of our society understand that concept........
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
That cool, but I wonder how that goes over with other drivers who are not on the phone but are stuck next to you while you are playing enforcer?
I've only done it a few times, and I'm more than capable of seeing who is around me, and don't do it when the road is busy. I also toot my horn at opposing drivers who are looking at their phone.

Teens shouldn't be allowed to have more than one passenger. Ever.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #13
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

the other 34% are zombies, the other unaccounted for % are listed as bitten.

Old June 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Why is distracted driving treated differently depending on what distracted you?

Old June 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
^^^ exactly. doesn't matter if you are talking on the cellphone, or simply not in your own head. not paying attention is not paying attention and you don't need an object in your hand to do it. crashes don't happen when both people are paying proper attention and following the rules. unless you are on ice. "1 in 10" crashes have at least one distracted driver? 10 in 10 more like.

Old June 24th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I love how they make all these parental cellphone controls for cars while it's actually adults who talk on the phone the most in the car.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote