ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - 2017 Suzuki SV650 First Ride Review Video

I’ve already covered the 2017 Suzuki SV650 quite a bit since I rode the new bike in mid May. Of course there was my First Ride Review, where I basically confessed my love for the bike, and in my Top 10 Features of the 2017 Suzuki SV650 I explained specifically which aspects of the bike I like the most.

That’s all well and good, but watching a new motorcycle in motion can be far better than reading some words written about it. Suzuki were kind enough to have a video crew at the launch of the SV, and thanks to the editing skills of our friend Sean Matic, we present to you this short and sweet SV650 video review.

What do you need to know? Three things: Suzuki’s aim was to make the bike slimmer, more efficient, and most of all, affordable. I’m glad to say Suzuki achieved all its goals. The new SV’s fuel tank is 65mm narrower than the SFV650’s, while the seat/tank junction is 30mm narrower. Apart from making it easy to touch the ground, the new bike is visually slimmer than its predecessor, too.

Suzuki only credits the new SV650 engine with four more horses than the SFV650. In reality, however, it’s more like five.

On the efficiency front, Suzuki employed FEM analysis in the design of the pistons and resin coated each piston skirt for reduced friction. Cylinders, too, are SCEM-plated to keep things as slick as possible. A host of other minor tweaks and bobs, including a redesigned airbox, results in a 645cc 90-degree V-Twin Suzuki says makes four horses more than the SFV.

In reality, Suzuki is selling itself short. Since this video was shot we had the chance to take the new SV650 to the MotoGP Werks dyno, where it put down 72.8 hp and 46.0 lb-ft. For comparison, the SFV650 we had during our 2014 Middleweight Mashup only put down 67.5 hp and 44.2 lb-ft. Also interesting is, in that same test, the Suzuki’s nearest rival, Yamaha’s FZ-07, only managed 67.1 hp and 46.7 lb-ft.

This makes the third point all the more relevant. At $6,999, the SV650 is only $9 more expensive than the Yamaha. Both boast entertaining engines wrapped in sporty chassis with mediocre brakes and suspension. The dyno chart would indicate the Suzuki has the advantage, but we won’t know until we get them side by side. Rest assured we’re working on it, but in the meantime, feast your eyes on my quick impressions of the 2017 SV650.

2017 Suzuki SV650 First Ride Review Video appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...