ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Notices

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

How to Enable/Disable Advertising on Ninjette.org

Hi all -

Like most internet users, I've not been a huge fan of web advertising, when it interrupts the flow of a site or even just overwhelms the page with more ads than content. I think we all understand that it's necessary, especially for sites like this that charge no user fees and have zero desire to start charging fees of any kind. So what I did here awhile back on ninjette.org is put a toggle switch right in your user options, where you can enable/disable advertising with a click. The advertising, if enabled, shows up in the header, footer, and in a few places in the portal page.

What I've noticed over the past month or two is that more and more people are choosing "No" to view this advertising when they sign up for the site. Early on it was 75%+ Yes, but now it's closer to 75% No. These stats are just for new user signups, so it's more than likely that the new users haven't spent much time on the site yet to decide if the advertising is useful/useless, relevant/irrelevant, subtle/annoying etc. My hunch is that if people do see what the ads are on this site (RaceBikeRentals, Becky's seats, Zartan's exhaust hangars, etc), they will have less of an urge to disable them. And I know that those ninjette-specific advertisers do want a chance to show you what they have to offer.

So I've implemented a new process on the site. Once per month, on the 1st, the setting for "view advertising" for all users will be automatically reset to Yes. If someone does prefer to view the site without ads, it takes 3 clicks to immediately turn them back off, and they stay off for a month. Just go to that Edit Options link, right from the Quick Links menu, scroll all the way down to the advertising setting, click "no", then save settings. No muss, no fuss, and certainly no fee to do so. My hunch is that over time less and less folks will see the need to do this, but I plan to always leave that option there. Folks that are quite opposed to the advertising wouldn't be likely to click on any ads anyway, so I continue to believe it's a good idea to leave that toggle switch available.

Please shoot me a PM or post up in this thread if there are any questions/comments/suggestions about this.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thank you for the information Alex!

Honestly they are not too invasive. Yes, I advertise on google ads but am always excited to see a new product pop up and can check it out. So it does not bother me. It is like shopping at home

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #3
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i don't find these ads intrusive at all. pretty interesting stuff. i think i have clicked on all but one so far....
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #4
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

ads? what ads?

haha I never even knew. I use Firefox with Ad Blocker Plus, guess it does the job.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #5
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

Not invasive, and if it helps to defer costs or give the mods a little extra cash, so be it.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I have no problems with them. Besides if anything catches the eye it might be a good deal/idea.

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I don't have any problems with them either. We are fortunate to have a host that works with his members like Alex does.

Good job Alex!!! We all appreciate it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

They don't bother me at all. I have found some cool stuff by clicking on them.

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Well, if somebody pays for advertising...... Do you think there should be an option to turn it off? It's not really getting your money's worth is it

Not that I love ads or anything
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Hi Kerry -

None of the advertisers pay this site directly, they are all working through Google. Google takes their money, and in return places their ads on sites all over the internet. The advertisers can choose specific sites that they definitely want their ads on, and that makes sure that their ads get to appropriate sites. The advertisers are charged in two ways, by the click (mostly) and in some cases, by the amount of page views that their ad shows up on.

So on this site, if someone has the ads turned off, it's a non-issue. The ads don't show, nobody clicks, there are zero page views (as the ad was never loaded from google servers), so it doesn't count in any way. The advertisers aren't charged anything, ninjette.org isn't charged anything, it's just a lost opportunity, if anything. My thinking on that is if someone has gone out of their way to disable or block the ads, they are highly unlikely to be clicking on these ads anyway if they were shown, so there really isn't much of a lost opportunity for the advertiser anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote