ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

The Ninja Streetfighter Project (pics) in progress.

Okay, I finally got my hands on a camera. So, here is the current state of my bike

I have two options here and would like to get Ninjette.org members opinions,

1.)Full restore that may cost around $300-600.
Or
2.) Try and make it into a Street Fighter project.

I plan on following this simple mod: http://www.buelletinboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7891

Basically, I am going to buy a 4" "dominator" dual headlights (Cost around $150) http://www.flyncycle.com/Dominator_T...p/hlutrblk.htm, &

an s10 British gas mask (costing me around 40):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-ARMY-S10...item35a77060e2.

I am also thinking about creating a custom belly pan but have no clue how to start this one. (any suggestions?)

Does anyone know of any good instrument panels for streetfighters? I cannot find any universal instruments/mounts.

My only question is, will making it into a street fighter really drop the price on my bike?
it has around 7,8xx on it. and I am thinking if I did a full restoration, it could sell for $3,500 to the right buyer. And perhaps if I did this street-fighter project, how much do you think it would sell for? I may make some money back off of selling my fairings, as they are still in pretty good shape.

I am open to any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00950.jpg (140.8 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00955.jpg (120.7 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00958.jpg (140.9 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00966.jpg (90.2 KB, 229 views)
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow your bike looks great as a streetfighter. What kind of exhaust is that?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Wow your bike looks great as a streetfighter. What kind of exhaust is that?
sportisimoto vr6 exhaust from Matt/ztrack. it is an excellent exhaust.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Cool, Thanks.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
1.)Full restore that may cost around $300-600.
Or
2.) Try and make it into a Street Fighter project.

I plan on following this simple mod: http://www.buelletinboard.com/forums...ead.php?t=7891

Basically, I am going to buy a 4" "dominator" dual headlights (Cost around $150) http://www.flyncycle.com/Dominator_T...p/hlutrblk.htm, &

an s10 British gas mask (costing me around 40):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-ARMY-S10...item35a77060e2.

I am also thinking about creating a custom belly pan but have no clue how to start this one. (any suggestions?)

Does anyone know of any good instrument panels for streetfighters? I cannot find any universal instruments/mounts.

My only question is, will making it into a street fighter really drop the price on my bike?
it has around 7,8xx on it. and I am thinking if I did a full restoration, it could sell for $3,500 to the right buyer. And perhaps if I did this street-fighter project, how much do you think it would sell for? I may make some money back off of selling my fairings, as they are still in pretty good shape.
If restoration is $300 then fix it. Specially if the lights to do the street fighter rig will run you up half that. I thought your bike was more damaged for some reason.

If you keep it like it is, you gotta hack some of that super long tail off and it will look awesome. Then move the plate mount and lights. But prepare to eat rear tire debris. (get a rear hugger)

That gas mask mod actually does look pretty cool on that guys bike. Wonder how it'd look on the 'jette.

I made a full fairing bottom for my pocket bike once to match the upper fairings. First I cut the shape out of cardboard and taped it all up to hold the contour of the fairing that I Wanted while putting it on the bike. Once I basically had a cardboard fairing that was perfectly shaped and holding itself, I covered it with fiberglass and epoxy resin and used it as a mold to make my own lower fairing. It came out awesome after sanding it smooth and painting! Hell of a chore though and messy to make.

I think I saw a video of some British dude who has a tiny lower fairing from a ninja 125 or something like that on his streetfighter'd 'jette250. The video is posted on this site somewhere. I think it's exactly what you are looking for.

Would the Koso gauges work for your instruments?

I would think street fighter bikes have a lower value than the original unless it was never crashed to begin with and the owner had all the original parts he/she removed to do the street fighter mods.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #6
HA-Y-N NINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Cholby

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Plasma Blue 250 ninja

That looks sick!!
HA-Y-N NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I don't care much for the street fighter look so I say put it back together the rite way.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Nice man. That looks great!
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM   #9
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

i wish there was an exhaust that hugged the engine better, then this would look totally awesome, but i do care for the regular look myself.

Blue great color
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

The remounted stock headlight and signals is growing on me, but I agree the gasmask is a neat idea. Wonder if it ever gets hot enough to melt from extended use of the lights...

Liking street-fightered ninjettes more and more, but +1 for 'fix it if it's not drastically mroe expensive than making it a streetfighter'
It'll be way easier to sell unless you luck out with the perfect buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I think I saw a video of some British dude who has a tiny lower fairing from a ninja 125 or something like that on his streetfighter'd 'jette250. The video is posted on this site somewhere. I think it's exactly what you are looking for.
He also did a custom second front brake caliper mount if I recall.

Mitchell, if you want a header that hugs the engine better, take a look at ztrack157's thread on the new Sportisi undertail exhaust he & company have been working on.

Old March 4th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Do you have pics of your plastic? If it is not torn up too bad in the right places, you could try cutting it down, maybe to something like the Z1000's abbreviated fairings.

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #12
250fan
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r

I think your front tire is mounted the wrong way.....i.e; wrong direction of rotation......
250fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #13
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

def fix it... IMO streetfighters are usually ugly.. and you can't give them away when it comes time to sell them.... nothing says "Did you know that I dropped my bike and screwed up the plastics" more than a streetfighter.. its a Ninja not a Monster. JMO.. and hey.. you asked

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

Looking sick. Mine is setup the same except for the front headlight. What'd you do with the gauges?
Broc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

ahha love the sticker- Reminds me of an auto-bot
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #16
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

What about just chopping an upper to hold the head light and gauges but that's it. You could cut it at an angle so there is lots of material at the front and less to none on the tank side of things

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #17
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Mitchell, if you want a header that hugs the engine better, take a look at ztrack157's thread on the new Sportisi undertail exhaust he & company have been working on.
well its not that i am really worried about it, i just think that something that hugs the motor more would be better for this look. But if the undertail does do that then its something for all of us to consider.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #18
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
well its not that i am really worried about it, i just think that something that hugs the motor more would be better for this look. But if the undertail does do that then its something for all of us to consider.
These are some preliminary/prototype headers for that undertail. There's a couple others scattered around the thread below.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...&postcount=139

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #19
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Notwithstanding my suggestion to repair, you might take a look at the pregen belly fairings; you might need to fab a bracket to mount to, but it's a starting point that doesn't include a start from scratch. Also may take a look at race fairings with a separate upper/lower like the ones from Attack

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #20
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Notwithstanding my suggestion to repair, you might take a look at the pregen belly fairings; you might need to fab a bracket to mount to, but it's a starting point that doesn't include a start from scratch. Also may take a look at race fairings with a separate upper/lower like the ones from Attack
Thank you for that link! although I do not know if I want to dish out $100 plus shipping for this underbelly. Thank you for the information though! I may make a home made one similar to this design http://shop.attackperformance.com/Pr...3A8-1198806353

Also, I checked my tires and that is indeed the rotation of the front tire.

I was planning on buying this

However, as I am totaling up the cost to make it into a streetfighter, I am finding it more and more that it isn't worth the cost to purchase all these if at the end, will not raise the value of my bike.

If I do not plan on selling this bike, perhaps I will actually do these mods

but for now, since I am a poor college student. I think I am just going to have to leave the bike as is. I will give an update in the summer when I have 100% time to put into my bike. So for now, it looks like this project is still up in the air and put on hold.

Thank you all for your input and information. it seems as if our forum is divided on the look of a ninja streetfighter which makes our forum all the more interesting haha.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #21
strungrisen42
ninjette.org newbie

Name: marco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

250 streetfighter

badass bike

i want to do the exact same thing with my red one but what did u do with the speedo???

and did u just take off the fairings or was there other things you had to modify as well?
strungrisen42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #22
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

dfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungrisen42 View Post
badass bike

i want to do the exact same thing with my red one but what did u do with the speedo???

and did u just take off the fairings or was there other things you had to modify as well?
I am currently running with-out any instruments. Luckily I have ridden my bike for over a year now to know the rpms pretty well by sound. The only thing I have to get used to for now, is not having a turn signal indicator (I have had many incidents where it was kept on for miles ).

The only modifications I have done to my bike are:

zip tie the headlight to the forks

Create turn signal brackets onto the forks

ziptie and electrical tape up the wires neatly between the forks (Which is a pain with the instrument wires that are still attached) so that the forks turn freely w/o snagging.

+some stickers to cover the ugly radiator reservoir

Pretty basic stuff. It is the other mods in the future that were going to be the real challenge. Good luck on your bike tho. let me know how it turns out

Old March 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #23
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Usually not my thing, but the OEM headlight actually looks pretty cool like that.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #24
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
If restoration is $300 then fix it. Specially if the lights to do the street fighter rig will run you up half that. I thought your bike was more damaged for some reason.

If you keep it like it is, you gotta hack some of that super long tail off and it will look awesome. Then move the plate mount and lights. But prepare to eat rear tire debris. (get a rear hugger)

That gas mask mod actually does look pretty cool on that guys bike. Wonder how it'd look on the 'jette.

I made a full fairing bottom for my pocket bike once to match the upper fairings. First I cut the shape out of cardboard and taped it all up to hold the contour of the fairing that I Wanted while putting it on the bike. Once I basically had a cardboard fairing that was perfectly shaped and holding itself, I covered it with fiberglass and epoxy resin and used it as a mold to make my own lower fairing. It came out awesome after sanding it smooth and painting! Hell of a chore though and messy to make.

Would the Koso gauges work for your instruments?

I would think street fighter bikes have a lower value than the original unless it was never crashed to begin with and the owner had all the original parts he/she removed to do the street fighter mods.

I gotta agree, if its relatively cheap to repair back to normal go for it.

BUT, if you are going to do a Streetfighter go all out and do it properly, would look like a BEAST!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Usually not my thing, but the OEM headlight actually looks pretty cool like that.
Yeah. Even in person I was convinced that he had purchased one of those streetfighter-styled headlight shrouds until Howard told me otherwise (I guess I didn't pay enough attention in the thread!).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #26
mibe
ninjette.org member

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja 250

I was thinking of strretfighter too

Do you know if that front end will go on a 2004 ninja 250? and where did you buy it??? where did you get the thing to cover your radiator cover?
mibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #27
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

If you're thinking of selling it, you should TOTALLY put it back to stock. But I think streetfighters are sexy beasts. Or at least can be. I dig the headlights like that.

Chopping the rears look silly in my eyes, but I've taken off the side covers under the back seat to better fit luggage, and without the luggage, it looks almost nice. I'm thinking of getting some heavy codura and making a textile wrap around piece to replace the side covers to keep rain out. Just taking off the mud guard and lacing it up along the bottom, and then replacing the mud guard. I think that'd look really sexy on a streetfighter.

I think the reduced bulk of taking off the covers, and maybe even the back seat would greatly amplify the streetfighter appeal without having to cut it all up. Not to mention preserve the lugage possibilies.

I'll take a pic of mine without the side covers soon as I get off work here in about an hour or so.

Facebook doesn't seem to like sharing images. So just go here. Or later I'll upload some up to my real site and link from their.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...01608126541134

Last futzed with by Seattle_Chris; March 15th, 2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding a photo. I hope. :)
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #28
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I dunno why I didn't post this yet!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Perhaps you can get some good ideas.
I first saw this ages ago but, when I finally dug it up again, I ended up posting it in the "highly modded 250s" thread before I remembered this one.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 15th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #29
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Oh hecks yeah. I would LOVE to get ahold of some of that Indonesian Ninja 150 plastic!!

http://www.whitedevillabs.com/media/...5 07.06.32.jpg

That turned out WAY too big. I gotta go back and read on how to resize images on the forum, or just do it in another tool and re-up. But their is the link if you wanna see it. If your curious, it's got a fender eliminator and a smoked bikemonkey integrated taillight. I'm gonna be BBQ painting the muffler chrome bits. It's the green/black bike, but I wanted the black (they were just out of stock) so I've thought of painting it, and I've got Contact paper on it right now in black to see if I like black. I do.

I've often thought of going naked/streetfighterish, but I'm not sure what to do about the headlight/instruments, so I'm eager to see what you come up with. Though I really like my touring windsheild, so what I do will probably end up integrating the front fairing somehow.

Last futzed with by Seattle_Chris; March 15th, 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Adding pic, for real real.

Old March 15th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #30
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post

I've often thought of going naked/streetfighterish, but I'm not sure what to do about the headlight/instruments, so I'm eager to see what you come up with. Though I really like my touring windsheild, so what I do will probably end up integrating the front fairing somehow.
I am saving my money up to try and buy a headlight. I was looking at the ducati monsters parked on my campus, and I like the set up ducati has going on. So, I am trying to see how I can mount my instruments on the end of my top triple tree clamp with mounts that are held on the forks. I plan on buying dual 4" headlights too. Only if this restoration does not work out though.

Also, I like the back looking wide because without the plastics, the bike already looks fairly thin. So in my opinion, I like my girl having her nice wide rear

Old March 15th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #31
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Big bottomed girls make the rockin' world go 'round!

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #32
TheJazBand
i make funny noises

Name: Jaz

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawa Ninja 250r

dude..check out my streetfighter

http://imgur.com/a/GWFPU
TheJazBand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #33
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazBand View Post

Nice man! How much (and where) did that headlight assembly and instrument set up for? Also, how did you mount the gauges anyways?

thanks for sharing.

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #34
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Wall-E ??? Is that you??
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #35
headshrink

Quote:

Very nicely done. A full exahust would look GREAT on your bike... the OEM headers weren't meant to be seen.

Old May 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #36
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

anyone know if the radiator reserve tank was just painted black or is that a cover that goes over it?

ive been wondering what to do with mine, ive been thinking about relocating it under the seat (in place of the air box since i removed that).

in black its not so bad though, doesnt stand out like a sore tooth, lol.

Old May 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #37
TheJazBand
i make funny noises

Name: Jaz

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawa Ninja 250r

yea i just painted the top half of the reserve black. ive been looking for some full exhaust but i cant really find one under like $500
TheJazBand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #38
headshrink

Quote:
yea i just painted the top half of the reserve black. ive been looking for some full exhaust but i cant really find one under like $500
Ebay?

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #39
bob138
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

If you still have the original fairings that you can chop up you can make a decent lower and scoops.

Here is the finished project. Kinda hard to see, maybe I can snap a few better pics today.

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #40
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Very cool, Bob!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote