ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Suspension Question

I looked in the Suspension WIKI and ascertained that my rear shock should be set at pos #3 because I weigh 190 to 195. It has been at that position since June 08. Problem is that I saw the MD for some lower back pain and he ascertained that I have a bulging disk at L-3. Quite honestly, riding hurts, esp. on our frost heaved bad Maine roads. Setting the suspension on #1 would probably make things better. My question is--would handling be impaired a great deal by dialing in "Wimp Mode"?

Old November 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
kkim

only if the lowest setting cause the suspension to bottom. does it? if not, lower the setting to what is comfortable and enjoy.

steering may seem a bit slower/sluggish in turns, but if you don't notice anything, ferget about it. even if it does, I'm sure you'll get used to it... just be aware of a possible change.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear about your bad back. I used to have a lot of lower back pain too as my lumbar doesn't curve correctly. Started going to the gym and doing a lot of lower back/upper back muscle exercises and abdominal strengthening. It made a huge difference and I no longer experience the same type and frequency of pain in my lower back. It's probably different in your case as you have a bulging disc and it might limit the range of activity you can do. Have you thought about wearing back brace supports while riding? http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/1693. Might be worth a try at least. I've seen a couple of guys at the gym wear it when they work out or play basketball.

As for the suspension, I'm not really sure on that. My guess is that at low speeds, you probably won't notice much difference but perhaps at higher speed turns you would. Maybe you can dial it down to the #2 position first and try it out before going all the way down to #1.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
only if the lowest setting cause the suspension to bottom. does it? if not, lower the setting to what is comfortable and enjoy.

steering may seem a bit slower/sluggish in turns, but if you don't notice anything, ferget about it. even if it does, I'm sure you'll get used to it... just be aware of a possible change.
How can one tells if the suspension bottoms out?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Sailariel

Hey Guys, Thank you for your responses. I'll take Kelly's advice and drop her down to #1--possibly will experiment with tyre pressure as well. The suggestion of excercise is great--but there is one problem. I have NO abs. Between two AK-47 exit wounds in the midsection and four surgeries where they opened me up from the bottom of my chest to practically my crotch and then held the whole thing together with Gore-Tex--there are no abs--unless we can figure out how to tone up Gore-Tex. I do work out--being about 300meters from the Y. Got great upper body strength and good legs for bicycle racing. I do have a gut when I don't wear the very wide elastic belt. Really, things could be a lot worse. Now we all need to figure out a way I can keep riding the Ninja (I take Doctor's advice with a grain of salt--they are great professionals but they don't have all the answers)

Old November 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
It makes an incredible Clunk! and you definitely feel it in your butt.

Old November 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
It makes an incredible Clunk! and you definitely feel it in your butt.
yup... when the suspension bottoms, you have metal to metal contact of parts and whatever forces the shock did not dampen will be sent straight through the frame and on to the seat and handlebars. you'll feel and hear it.

Old November 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
just wait for that KABLAMMO noise... and the feeling like you've hit a curb
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Sailariel

That too.

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
kkim

So, Alex... have you readjusted the rear shock and if so, has it helped your back?

Old November 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Softening up the suspension for normal commuting will not only help your back but also help in controlling the bike on potholed riddled and ice heaved roads. I have back problems as well. i found out real quick that a stiff suspension was not going to work for me. so I've done a couple of things.
1.The happy medium for me was the #3 position. #1 was way too soft. I'm about 215 lbs (225 fully loaded).
2. I bought a gel seat cushion. The one I got fits the bike perfectly. It was only $20.00 at Walmart. (its actually a car seat cushion)
3.Added some more foam to my stock seat and had it re-covered.
4.Got rid of the bricks posing as stock tires. (see the pics)

All of this has made my riding so much better and comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECTA Maxton, NC_01_resize.jpg (136.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg seat_resize.jpg (151.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cushion.jpg (112.5 KB, 2 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote