ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

front tire tilted?

hi all, i believe my front axle to be tilted as if one fork is shorter than the other. are there adjustments for this?

tia,
parker
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Interesting. I wouldn't think this would be possible as the axle going through the carriers on both fork legs would keep the fork legs in line, but maybe there is enough play in there for them to move independently a slight bit? What makes you think that it is slanted?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #3
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

hi alex, i had both ends up on stands (rear by spools, front by the steering stem) adjusting chain tension and doing the rear wheel alignment with string on the ground, and the front wheel looks tiled by at least 5 degrees in comparison with the rear. i also see the off center wear on the front tire.
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
kkim

pictures? this is interesting.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That does sound quite strange. I wonder if your whole tripletree is twisted in some way?

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #6
kkim

well, he does have an 09, so I'm hoping it's not been crashed yet.

5 degrees is a lot of degrees, if he's talking about looking at the front tire straight on from the front, if I'm getting his message correctly.

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You're right. It's enough degrees that I'm wondering if a spacer or something wasn't installed right in the axle, but even that doesn't seem plausible. I forget, do our ninjettes have wheel spacers on both sides of the front wheel?

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8
kkim

spacer on the right side, speedo sensor housing on the left, but even if you left that out, I don't think it would cause the wheel to tilt.

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #9
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

I would be willing to take a guess that the fork leg that is "longer" is sitting lower in the triple trees then the fork on the other side. The best check would be to take the handle bars off and measure how much of the fork tube is sitting above the triple tree.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #10
kkim

possible, but then the axle "head" wouldn't lay flat against the fork area where the axle passes through the fork.

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #11
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
possible, but then the axle "head" wouldn't lay flat against the fork area where the axle passes through the fork.

If it is only a mm or two, then yes it could as the suspension will take up that slight difference at static setting, but will make a difference once the rider is in place. Remember, he is looking at this with the bike up on stands and no weight on the front suspension. Depending on how long it has been that way it is possible that the bearings might have shifted or worn oddly as well. I can show you an axle that got bent under the same circumstances on a heavier bike that was not noticeable to the naked eye. One fork was 1mm measured from the top of the triple to the top of the fork tube higher then the opposite fork.

Besides, in a case like this, I would much rather he checked it and showed me wrong, then have a catastrophic failure because a bearing let go and found me to be right.

Old May 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #12
kkim

I'm not saying you're wrong at all... in fact, if his bike has not been crashed, yours is the most plausible answer, other than a manufactured part being out of spec.

like I said earlier... this is interesting and I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what the problem is.

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #13
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong at all... in fact, if his bike has not been crashed, yours is the most plausible answer, other than a manufactured part being out of spec.

like I said earlier... this is interesting and I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what the problem is.
Wasn't meaning to sound as if you were either, this is an odd duck, and an odd duck that needs to be handled like a rabid NeNe

Old May 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

even though the axle does pass through both fork legs there still could be off a couple degrees if one fork tube is higher in the triple clamp than the other. Think of dual shock bike versus single shock rear suspension bike. The original reason behind the single shock was that in cornering (or over bumps on a dirt bike) one shock could compress more than the other. Both shocks are mounted to the swingarm at the bottom and the frame at the top, share a common rear wheel axle, and a common swingarm pivot bolt, yet this seemingly inflexible system could pitch the wheel in heavy cornering or bumps. Of course once power and cornering force increased even single shock supersport bikes went to aluminum swingarms and then to larger, reinforced swingarms such as on the 600 or litre bikes to keep everything the same movement wise on the right and on the left.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #15
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I don't know Alex it's beginning to sound like the reticulated farbus has been misaligned with a non-standard flux capacitor resulting in a shift in linkage between the hear and now. But, I think we need to check with the east coast expert in these matters (CC Cowboy) to be sure. I'd hate to see people going down the wrong path.